Author Topic: Auger carrier for an electric drill  (Read 6505 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Auger carrier for an electric drill
« on: Nov 04, 2018, 03:39 PM »
I have seen a lot of carriers for a gas powered auger on this forum, but nothing specific to an electric drill and auger, or just a hand auger. I use a 4.5 inch Nils, or 5 inch strike master bit, and a 1/2 inch hammer drill. I hole hop and move a lot, so I am envisioning something like a quick draw holster. I have not seen anyone doing anything like this, but it should be simpler than supporting the weight of a gas power head and 10-12 inch bit. I also would like it to protect the sharp edges, and keep snow and rain off the drill while driving. Does anyone have a good solution?
 :tipup:

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Auger carrier for an electric drill
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2018, 03:45 PM »
What's your mode of transportation?

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2018, 03:48 PM »
I have a digger that mounts to a my 4 wheeler and snowmobile. It works great

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Maybe implement "this" into a "normal" auger carrier?  (the gunny rack/quick fist style)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2018, 05:16 PM »
I walk pulling a sled some, then I have a simple hook and let the auger ride outside of my ice box. When I pull the sled with snowmobile or 4-wheeler, the drill drags if there is deep snow. I am considering either a sled mounted or maybe something on the snowmobile.
 :tipup:

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2018, 05:28 PM »
I personally like the pvc holster. Attached to a sled I would angle the recessed grip opening to the top and install a strap or bungee to hold the drill in place. That way the battery would be up and out of the snow and should be quick and easy to remove.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Since you are on the ice and have all gear for the day, the drill and auger are all assembled in the JetSled. After drilling your holes to jig or whatever you put the "auger" out of the way. You don't like that area and leave. I myself will pack my JetSled with the point of the auger sticking out of the back and load stuff around it. It's high enough off the ice where the blades won't get damaged plus you are pulling the sled forward. Hope this helps......
      Kim :tipup: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2018, 01:52 AM »
I was running a Digger auger carrier on the front of my King Quad and for my gas auger it was awesome but I’ve since switched to a Milwaukee/Kdrill setup and the Digger mount didn’t work to good. I’ve now switched to Kolpin Rhino grips mounted on my front rack and love them ! The Kdrill and drill fit in the grips great and don’t move while running.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:34 AM »
Getting to and from the lake/fishing spots isn't an issue for me...just throw it in the sled and go. But I'm walking too. I'm trying to figure a way to keep my auger/drill "at the ready" as I do a lot of hole hopping as well, as shown by the pics of the mods I've done to locator and skimmer...rod holders on the extended Vex handle and skimmer extension...to avoid bending over as much and getting to the next spot to drill another hole as quickly as I can. I'm envisioning something along the lines similar to those legs that you see on golf bags that "swing out" when you place the bottom of the bag on the ground...it would work like a tri-pod. Some way to prop it up...still thinking.  :-\

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 06:08 AM »
I just got a great Milwaukee tool bag. It is 2 feet long, built sturdy and has a set of pockets for batteries, etc. inside and out.

I use it for the drill, an extra Nils head as well as the Livscope stand. Easy to carry and store.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Here is what I came up with for my 1998 Tundra.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Are there any kolpin rhino grips or similar products that are wide enough to hold a cordless drill?  I'm sure the chuck would fit, but I think mounting the drill upside down behind the grip would be ideal.

Offline GRT_Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:31 AM »
I made this rack to carry 2 augers and my drill on my Bearcat.  If I'm travelling far or in dirty weather, the drill comes off and goes in the Action Packer.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:45 AM »
Nice! You take 2 auger bits? Are they different sizes? Can you show the cradles that hold the auger?

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Badger my Kolpin Grips hold my 6” Kdrill and drill just fine. You have turn the bit a little so it slips down in the grip but when I’m just moving a short distance I just leave it sit on top of the grip and strap the drill in.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline GRT_Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:27 PM »
Badger 132 I'll get out to the trailer as soon as I can and take a close up of the rack.  I do carry 2 augers. 6" and 8" .  They don't weigh much and it's nice to have a back up.  I also use 6" for camera and flasher holes. Like Ranger said - just turn the bit a little to fit the auger fins.  I also turned the grips slightly.

Offline GRT_Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:53 PM »
I found this picture that shows my auger rack better.  The other machine is my friend's and he has a similar rack to carry his K-Drill lengthwise.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Nice!  :)

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2019, 12:50 PM »
I kept it simple...