New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Brook/Speckled Trout lakes  (Read 945 times)

Offline markweist

• IceShanty Rookie
Brook/Speckled Trout lakes
« on: Nov 13, 2023, 05:33 PM »
Hey all,
Once winter hits and the ice is safe …..
What’s the best way to find small backwoods trout lakes to ice fish in Upstate NY.  I’m in the  Ogdensburg's area but make the drive towards Adirondacks.
Thanks I’m advance!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Brook/Speckled Trout lakes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2023, 06:28 PM »
Before you make plans to hike into a pond or lake that has trout, make sure you confirm that ice fishing is allowed on that water. Most waters having trout are closed to ice fishing, and if they are open to ice fishing then live bait may be prohibited. The DEC annual fishing regulations book that is available any place that sells fishing licenses lists all of the waters in the " special regulations by region " where ice fishing is allowed.

I think the basic regulation is that if the water has trout then it is not open to ice fishing before April 1 unless it is listed in the " special regulations by region " sections as being open to ice fishing.

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2023, 05:19 AM »
Before you make plans to hike into a pond or lake that has trout, make sure you confirm that ice fishing is allowed on that water. Most waters having trout are closed to ice fishing, and if they are open to ice fishing then live bait may be prohibited. The DEC annual fishing regulations book that is available any place that sells fishing licenses lists all of the waters in the " special regulations by region " where ice fishing is allowed.

I think the basic regulation is that if the water has trout then it is not open to ice fishing before April 1 unless it is listed in the " special regulations by region " sections as being open to ice fishing.

Exactly……..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2023, 11:44 AM »

Warrior is spot on here. Most of the waters with brookies do not allow ice fishing.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.