New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Places to stay pickerel fishing  (Read 5084 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Places to stay pickerel fishing
« on: Jul 03, 2023, 05:22 PM »
Looking for a vrbo or air bnb type place near a body of water with good shore fishing access with lots of pickerel like the ones everyone cant not catch a pickerel or pike

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HīPē F˙Sh
Re: Places to stay pickerel fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2023, 08:57 AM »
Google is your friend

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2023, 10:49 AM »
Google is your friend

I haven’t found anything searching google and was looking for a spot like that then going to search places to stay but was hoping for some input on some small local area where shore fishing people cant stop catching them as not too many people like them for family vacation next year in addition the shorter the walk from the car the better as who i am fishing with has a bad leg

Offline ECobb91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2023, 05:38 PM »
Fishing is never a guarantee. You can’t expect to go to a place and have non stop action because you’ll be awfully disappointed. In the winter is when most people target pickerel for food too.

That said, some places that have always been good to me was lake moraine in Madison and oxbow in lake pleasant. There’s a few airbnbs at each, just gotta take a look and see what one works for you. You won’t break any size records but never gotten skunked there. Came close to it many times though

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2023, 11:59 AM »
I'd search the Airbnb site for places on certain lakes, like Galway Lake. Galway Lake is a private lake that is loaded with pickerel and I know there are some Airbnb's available on it. The lake also has good walleye and panfish.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2023, 06:23 AM »
Caz or any of the Madson county lakes near it have tons of pickerel to keep you busy with

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2023, 02:57 PM »
I'd search the Airbnb site for places on certain lakes, like Galway Lake. Galway Lake is a private lake that is loaded with pickerel and I know there are some Airbnb's available on it. The lake also has good walleye and panfish.
I understand that you have to be a resident to fish Galway Lake ?  Also have been told that ice fishing is not allowed. I've been by there many times and have never seen an ice fisherman.   BETTER CHECK FIRST

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2023, 11:24 AM »
I understand that you have to be a resident to fish Galway Lake ?  Also have been told that ice fishing is not allowed. I've been by there many times and have never seen an ice fisherman.   BETTER CHECK FIRST

We ice fish it every year. The residents try to play the no ice fishing card but that's a made up rule. And if you have access to the lake, you can fish it. We have friends that have a camp there and that's how we gain access. If someone rented an AirBnB on the lake then they also would have access to ice fish.

I always check first.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2023, 07:12 PM »
We ice fish it every year. The residents try to play the no ice fishing card but that's a made up rule. And if you have access to the lake, you can fish it. We have friends that have a camp there and that's how we gain access. If someone rented an AirBnB on the lake then they also would have access to ice fish.

I always check first.
   good to know

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2023, 04:47 PM »
Thank you very much sorry for the delay my email was sending iceshanty to junk because of some glitch

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2023, 01:49 AM »
I agree about the Madison county lakes - Eatonbrook has a ton of pickerel too .....

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2023, 09:48 AM »
I agree that Madison Co. have a lot of pickerel. February on Caz.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2023, 09:54 AM »
I agree that Madison Co. have a lot of pickerel. February on Caz.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Is there shore fishing access in the summer time as well

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2023, 11:31 AM »

South shore along Rt 20. Better with a kayak or canoe.
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2023, 12:25 PM »
South shore along Rt 20. Better with a kayak or canoe.

Thank you usually go with my father and kayak /canoe wouldn’t work but thank you hopefully I’ll get out there

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2023, 12:44 PM »

Some nice meat there.

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2023, 02:50 PM »
Nice - kill them all and let God sort them out .....not a fan of anything about them - the slime, the teeth, the bones - and they've cost me too many lures .....

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2023, 04:22 PM »
Nice - kill them all and let God sort them out .....not a fan of anything about them - the slime, the teeth, the bones - and they've cost me too many lures .....
Like these guys
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2018/02/3_upstate_ny_ice_anglers_in_pickle_after_keeping_dozens_of_undersized_pickerel.html ?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2023, 04:28 PM »

So you’re saying kill everything YOU don’t like and let “GOD” sort it out?? 
 What if other people killed everything they  didn’t like and left it up to “someone else “ to sort it out ?? Tell me how that works out…………
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2023, 09:03 AM »
  So you’re saying kill everything YOU don’t like and let “GOD” sort it out?? 
 What if other people killed everything they  didn’t like and left it up to “someone else “ to sort it out ?? Tell me how that works out…………

I meant within the fish and game laws - if you can keep 5 pickerel take them ....relax - its just a saying .....jeez .....

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2023, 09:19 AM »

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2023, 01:54 PM »
tully lake ..short walk   big bay on oneida  ...loaded with pickerel

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2023, 02:58 PM »
tully lake ..short walk   big bay on oneida  ...loaded with pickerel
Yep 2 good choices

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2023, 03:37 PM »
God  isn't going to  sort them  out  he don't like them  either thats why they are  here and  not in heaven................ ......i agree  keep your limit i also  suggest  raising the  limit ending a  closed  season  ......there  were  never   as  many pickerel as there are  now  when i was a  kid we ran tip ups on big bay  for northern  .... their gone  and  pickerel are  booming   same  is  true with all the ontario tribs  sodas sandy pond  lakeview   less northerns  and lots  more pickerel....i agree with you U of L  .....take your limit  .......ps they do make great fish cakes

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2023, 04:27 PM »

If memory serves the last pickerel tourney they had , they weighed in 500
 Slime darts

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2023, 07:45 AM »
Pickerel get a bad rap for eating only because of the fine bones, but if they could be turned into boneless fillets, many more people would be targeting them for table fare. I find them excellent eating and worth dealing with the bones. On many trips they were the only fish I managed to bring home, and they are always in the mood to bite, so the closest thing there is to gauranteed action.

They can get annoying when there is a school of small ones setting off 5 flags at once, but bigger bait can cull the smaller fish out of the action.

I will always appreciate the chance to catch some fine pickerel, a lot of fun to catch and delicious white flaky meat that many people would realize is a lot more enjoyable to eat than   what they are assuming
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2023, 07:54 AM »
My PB pickerel was caught  on a tipup using 6" sucker. One particular large lake in the southern Adirondacks has abundant and many large pickerel. Fish exceeding 23" can be expected with ease on trips there, my PB was 27" and I believe if one put the time in there with 6" suckers or shiners, 30" fish are in there   :o :tipup:
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2023, 08:10 AM »
I recommend rigging pike and pickerel tipups with circle hooks. Because these avoid gut hooks by design and let you release any fish that you catch basically unharmed and having a high survival rate, it is much easier to cull fish if you are getting a lot of flags and catching smaller fish that you would rather throw back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.