New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: If you catch a Mudpuppy  (Read 4155 times)

Offline fisherhahn

• IceShanty Rookie
If you catch a Mudpuppy
« on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:51 AM »
A co-worker of mine is doing a large study on mudpuppys for his masters degree and has been setting traps in many creeks and streams in Buffalo/Western New York. I told him many guys catch them through the ice and he asked if that when you catch one you call/text him. I think he is going to ask for a nice close picture and where you caught it. If close he may come out to take a blood sample. I know it’s late in the season but every one helps him out. His name is Adam and you can call/text 518-331-9776. Yeah, he’s still got an Albany #, but he’s good guy...

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: If you catch a Mudpuppy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Not western ny, but I use to catch them in the tribs to oneida lake years ago.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:51 PM »
I have caught a few fishing near the pancakes off from Lakeport on Oneida.  They hit my Swedish Pimple like a little Walleye.  Hooked the poor thing right in the mouth.  Did my best to release it unharmed.  That was way back in the 80s.  Last time I saw one was in a minnow car I hand full of buckeyes near the Caughdenoy Dam.  A big piece of ice had formed over my minnow car, flattened it so the door was open.  When I reached inside surprise, I felt this big minnow, but it was a Mud Puppy.  That was in the 1990s  when you could still net your own bait.

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's twice as nice when there stacked on the ice !
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:24 PM »
Owasco has quite a few.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Caught one in Guffin Bay in 2008.

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Three Mile Bay last winter

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Caught one Saturday off Blue Water Marina Grand Island - took a few pictures and tried to get a video.  12" to 13" estimated.  Spooked the crap out of me.  It came off the hook and crawled back in the hook.  I was laughing to much to grab it and get better pictures - will post pics tomorrow .
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Here's his video...

Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:27 PM »
I was fishing with Boggey at Fair Haven Bay in January when we caught one.  They are protected in NYS, as are all salamanders, we released it as quickly as possible.  In years past I have caught them while ice fishing at Sandy Ponds.  They are interesting creatures, sometimes they make a croaking noise.
jperch

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Yes they are protected, there used to be a link to report catches in NYS. I did report my catch, but never heard anything back. Yes on the croaking noise.

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:16 PM »
There are so many mudpuppies in Owasco lake it's unbelievable. They are nasty slimy creatures and like to swallow hooks. You can't grab them because their defense is slime and they start oozing and you cant grip them. You have to cut your line every time ( or step on them and rip your hook out.. But like someone else said they are somehow protected in new York). You want mudpuppies? They spawn in April into the inlet. On warm nights if you bullhead fish in the inlet you will catch 15 to 1 mudpuppy to bullhead ratio. Your friend will have a field day. You can literally catch 50 a night.... I hate those nights. I can't stand touching them.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:26 PM »
You r so rite owasco is loaded with them..there all over when the smelt run to there nasty...i would really like to see a link as to where it says they are protected...if ya find one can u please post it..thanks

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:09 PM »
You r so rite owasco is loaded with them..there all over when the smelt run to there nasty...i would really like to see a link as to where it says they are protected...if ya find one can u please post it..thanks
https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Document/I21bfafb0c22211ddb7c8fb397c5bd26b?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:14 PM »
Thanks thats good info to share i couldnt find ....i watch ppl smack them dead all the time....usually when there bitting i go home...they should come net the 2 million out of owasco...👍👍

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:15 PM »
they taste just like okra .......

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:03 AM »
I think I would take my chances with the okra.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:29 AM »

I likes me some Okra, it ain't gumbo without the okra!!!

Offline Tazput4795

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Small Boat Harbor or Buffalo Outerharbor is loaded with them. Its my luck I always catch them...yay for me!!! I have video and pic of it. Was with my girlfriend took her out for the first time on ice she didn't believe me they exishad.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Caught two last Sat. on the Greater Sacandaga Lake, Saratoga County end. I have also gotten them in the same lake, Fulton County end. The lake stretches over these two counties. They were 12" and 13". Didn't keep them. I get a few every ice season there. Never got one open water.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2018, 08:02 AM »
I have caught a few over the years
 Nasty little suckers
Sandy pond has its share

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Lots in Small Boat Harbor Buffalo through the ice

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:34 AM »

That made me LOL until I realized that to know that, you must have tried one!  Nearly lost my breakfast at the thought...  ;-)

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Jrubino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:34 PM »
I caught one of these a couple years ago in Sacandaga Lake.  3 years almost to the day actually...  Went back through my phone and found a pic of it.

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Is that an alien?

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:56 PM »
A co-worker of mine is doing a large study on mudpuppys for his masters degree and has been setting traps in many creeks and streams in Buffalo/Western New York. I told him many guys catch them through the ice and he asked if that when you catch one you call/text him. I think he is going to ask for a nice close picture and where you caught it. If close he may come out to take a blood sample. I know it’s late in the season but every one helps him out. His name is Adam and you can call/text 518-331-9776. Yeah, he’s still got an Albany #, but he’s good guy...

Hatchery in Constantia typically has a couple on display (to touch, etc.) during the walleye run. They're great people up there and would most likely help your buddy with his research.

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:50 PM »
The locks are loaded

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2018, 09:53 AM »

If he is up for a road trip, there is a major tourney on the Sac. Res. in Fulton / Saratoga Counties Fri-Sun. LOTS of mudpuppies are caught and usually some really BIG ones. Go to the Fuel & Food website, Mayfield, NY for more info on the tourney, if interested.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:05 PM »
you tube  has a  nice  video on how to  fillet them  ..... ;D

Offline bshirtd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:13 PM »
I know we see them smelting in the Niagara basically every trip if you hop down by the river im sure you could net a few or ask a person to grab them when they come by.
its a footrace to the hole

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:15 PM »
you tube  has a  nice  video on how to  fillet them  ..... ;D

Seems like they would be better with the skin on...
 :P

Tight lines,
Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.