New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: walleye challenge  (Read 4656 times)

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
walleye challenge
« on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:12 AM »
How about some reports.Lets hear some conditions and results

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: walleye challenge
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Nice walleye. Were you in the contest? I am sure that would have been in the money...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Thats a nice eye for that pond.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:51 AM »
It was out of chautauqua lake

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:09 PM »
any reports actually from sacandaga and the walleye challenge? lol

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:15 PM »
I went and was in the middle of the lake. Our group hammered a couple nice walleye but nothing of any weight to place. 2-4 pounds all day. The best catches of the day where perch 13, 14, 14.5 and one shy of 15 inches. Biggest pigs ive ever seen. Looking at the entries and the number of guys running fish to lanzi it seemed like a slow year to me. I can remember plenty of years where there was much more traffic going to weigh fish in

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2018, 02:16 PM »
over 300 walleyes were caught,ice was very rough,2' thick.They need to stock more Walleyes in a lake this size

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Biggest walleye was just over 5lbs. You are right about the stocking, the spawn is such a hit or miss depending on weather, water levels, etc....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:47 PM »
My group pulled 2nd place in the last hour weighed in with about 10 minutes left and my wife won a 4 stroke jiffy auger. Best walleye challenge we've had yet

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:36 AM »
Congrats BBB. I think this was the first year that  some one in the group didn't catch a money fish. One of the guys this year did win the ATV...h2ll
Northville, NY

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:51 AM »
GS could use a few yrs. of stocking 5m fry, Oneida gets 125 m put in every yr. they raise 320 m,

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Started off strong..  5 Walleye caught before 7:30 on 7 tip-ups, then nothing the rest of the day with 30 tip-ups (I was the only one out for the start).  Great day though, weather was beautiful and the beer was flowing. 

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Congrats BBB. I think this was the first year that  some one in the group didn't catch a money fish. One of the guys this year did win the ATV...h2ll

is this the same group that won an atv in Tupper??

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Yes it is. Not sure if this winner was fishing the NC..h2l
Northville, NY

Offline redshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2018, 03:04 PM »
We scored a few small eyes and some perch right up until about 11:00 then it shut off 100%.  Group fishing next to us landed a 42 inch 19lb.  northern AND he was in the separate pike derby.  I have to believe he won.  He got it on a hunts minnow.  He was rigged for eyes, using 6lb florocarbon.  The hook was right at the tip of lip so he got lucky.  I saw him carrying it across the ice with a gaff so I have to assume he gaffed it at the hole.  My buddy went over and got the details.  Nice fish for sure.     

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:04 PM »
GS could use a few yrs. of stocking 5m fry, Oneida gets 125 m put in every yr. they raise 320 m,

GS doesn't have the forage population that some lakes have.  I doubt it could support many more walleyes.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Have you been on the lake the last few years? There are days when all you see are bait balls. Plus, all the insect hatches...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:21 AM »
over 300 walleyes were caught,ice was very rough,2' thick.They need to stock more Walleyes in a lake this size

Might I suggest you join the GSLFF and assist us with our fund raising and restocking programs? We are always looking for new members and help with our programs to make this lake a better fishery. Ty.
Neal

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:25 AM »

We (the GSLFF) have been stocking larger fry the past few years. Unsure right this minute of the size. The larger fry have a better chance of survival and less of a chance of being pike feed. We are always looking for new members to assist in making this lake a better fishery. Might you be interested in joining?

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:31 AM »
GS doesn't have the forage population that some lakes have.  I doubt it could support many more walleyes.

The lasy two walleye I caught, last summer, puked up handfulls of perch fry. One even puked up walleye fry. I caught several smallies last summer that also puked up lots of perch and walleye fry. My fish finder showed many a bait ball while sitting, fishing with crayfish for bass.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Durring the Challenge, we caught two large mudpuppies, got bit off twice and got 6 smallies. This was in my walleye honey hole in the summer. No walleye. However, the bass were the largest I have ever seen come out of this lake. One was 20". 2+ lbs. Another was 25" and 3 lbs. The biggest was 26" and 3+ lbs. Seriously! Now that I know where these hogs hang out, I will be back for them again during the GSLFF Bass Tourney next June opener! Can't wait! Watch. Then all I will catch will be dink walleye! lol

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Durring the Challenge, we caught two large mudpuppies, got bit off twice and got 6 smallies. This was in my walleye honey hole in the summer. No walleye. However, the bass were the largest I have ever seen come out of this lake. One was 20". 2+ lbs. Another was 25" and 3 lbs. The biggest was 26" and 3+ lbs. Seriously! Now that I know where these hogs hang out, I will be back for them again during the GSLFF Bass Tourney next June opener! Can't wait! Watch. Then all I will catch will be dink walleye! lol

Those are awfully skinny bass.  A fat 20" smallmouth is nearly 4#, a 26" one would be close to a record.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2018, 08:22 AM »

Those are some "big" bass. You sure you didn't break 10/12 inches off your ruler. Biggest I ever saw was about 22" and that may have been around 5lbs. Full of eggs and caught trolling for trout in May...If you want big bass in this lake, late Oct early Nov we get some fishing for walleyes. Some days you can't keep those dirty brown things off your jig....Just saying....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Theval

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2018, 08:53 AM »
26 inches and that light lol come on

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Those are awfully skinny bass.  A fat 20" smallmouth is nearly 4#, a 26" one would be close to a record.

Yes, they were skinny. And the weights were educated guesses.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:49 AM »
26 inches and that light lol come on

They were skinny and the weight was a guess.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:03 AM »
Those are some "big" bass. You sure you didn't break 10/12 inches off your ruler. Biggest I ever saw was about 22" and that may have been around 5lbs. Full of eggs and caught trolling for trout in May...If you want big bass in this lake, late Oct early Nov we get some fishing for walleyes. Some days you can't keep those dirty brown things off your jig....Just saying....h2l

Metal rulers are hard to break. lol. Nope. Actual measurement. Weights were a guess. No way to get an accurate weight. I have been fishing this lake for almost 55 years. I have never seen bass over 20" before. I didn't know they even grew that big, at all (in this lake). It was a thrill to see ones this big. Last summer, between Memorial Day and Columbus day, I caught just a little under 200 fish. A lot of dinks, only kept six nice eaters, two bass and four walleye. None of the bass were over 18.5". Won fourth place in the fall GSLFF tourney with only a 17.5" smallie. So it was really something to get these big bass while ice fishing. You and I have had a couple of great conversations when you were still working for Dave. If I remember right, you mostly fish the southern part of the lake. These bass were in the far northern part of the lake, not that probably makes any difference. Can't wait to get back there for the bass opener GSLFF tourney.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:52 AM »
I haven't fished the southern end of the lake in years, it's a long run. Usually stay on this end of the lake. I don't target bass at all but do catch a few while walleye fishing. Caught a lot of walleyes over 15 inches last year but nothing over 20"s. I checked the results for some of the past GSLFF contest, there has been some 20 inch bass brought in but most are in the 17/19 inch range...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I haven't fished the southern end of the lake in years, it's a long run. Usually stay on this end of the lake. I don't target bass at all but do catch a few while walleye fishing. Caught a lot of walleyes over 15 inches last year but nothing over 20"s. I checked the results for some of the past GSLFF contest, there has been some 20 inch bass brought in but most are in the 17/19 inch range...h2l

You don't fish the southern end? That's all we talked about when we last spoke. You even showed me an area on Dave's map where you fish in the southern end. Just to clarify, Dave's shop was in the southern end of the lake, as is Sport Island Pub and Lanzi's.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:45 PM »
You better get a new compass. What end of the lake is Northville on? I did fish Sand Island area once last year. Haven't been to the Mayfield end in at least 8/9 years. Just too long of a run for me...h2l
Northville, NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.