New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George perchin' thread  (Read 158369 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake George perchin' thread
« Reply #120 on: Feb 19, 2014, 05:38 AM »
Soo.  Is perch fishing going to get better?  Just wondering this is my first year chasing perch.

What colors do you guys like for those teardrops?
I have had to go as small as I can my last few trips. A small red tungsten tipped with spikes under a Bro Scud Bug on 2lb test. I've had a tough time getting fish to rise aggressively, but they love to come up for that plastic scud.
The bite has been sooo light that I'm tempted to bust out a spring bobber. I just really hate messing with them.
With that rig, I've been able to pound em good next to my buddies scratching their heads. I'll omit the names I was called last week.  ;D

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Feb 19, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Soo.  Is perch fishing going to get better?  Just wondering this is my first year chasing perch.

What colors do you guys like for those teardrops?

My go to lure has been a red mooska size 12 with spikes. however I don't tend to change lures much on the ice at 67 I just cant easily thread the line thru those small hook eyes!

Offline fishngameguy2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Feb 19, 2014, 12:06 PM »

I am by no means an expert and have not found the one hole with the jacks this season however, I do catch fish on every drop and put fish in the freezer every outing. The info perchslayer is sharing is great info. Jamie is always above board and there to help those who want to learn. With electronics I have been able to entice the bite when they are not aggressive by dropping and teasing shaking and deadsticking just above their heads to get them to hit. I have been using a black tungsten with white eyes, glow maki and a spike or the black with a spike.  I have had great luck also using brown ice flies with rainbow or green sheen on their back with a spike. Like Perchslayer said when they are finicky smaller is better. When they are feeding they will hit just about anytying. Good luck.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Feb 19, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Small teardrop 3 grubs nothing else takes for ever to get down but once it is down it doesn't take them long to hit it if they are there.

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Feb 19, 2014, 12:27 PM »
I have fished alot of different places at all different times of the day this year and so far getting them to bite has not been a problem anywhere.  Finding ones big enough worth putting a fillet knife into is the problem im having.  Doesnt seem to matter what i put down the hole....tear drops, hali's, flies.  Tipped with maggots,plastics, fatheads.  They will eat anything from my expeience this year.  Ive givin up on the perch for a while and its back to the crappies.  Something i can actually get some meat from.

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Feb 19, 2014, 01:39 PM »
Small teardrop 3 grubs nothing else takes for ever to get down but once it is down it doesn't take them long to hit it if they are there.

have you tried the tungsten jigs? They  drop a lot faster than the lead ones because its denser so smaller diameter for same weight. I have been  using the mooska from northland tackle, sure there are others available. A buddy did have two of the mooska that were defective body detached from the hook while he was rigging it.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Feb 19, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Yeah I'm not sure if the one I've been using this year is or not though. I know it doesn't drop as fast as one that I know is. It doesn't bother me but I try to get my buddies to use it and they get frustrated saying it's too slow too light.

Offline Lunker Luke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Ok guys I'm heading to Lake George tomorrow with a few friends never ice fished it be for so dose any one have advise for me to get in to some perch like wear to go and what to use not looking not looking for any ones honey hole just a general are to go thanks!

:o fish on

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Ok guys I'm heading to Lake George tomorrow with a few friends never ice fished it be for so dose any one have advise for me to get in to some perch like wear to go and what to use not looking not looking for any ones honey hole just a general are to go thanks!

:o fish on
Although this thread has just started there is all ready some good info as what to use. Where to start for perch would be Harris Bay, Veteran's Park in Bolton Landing,Million Dollar Beach in the village. Hopes this helps.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #129 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:51 PM »
I would be going out of Vet's Park or MDB. Good luck and be safe out there! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline paulieg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Feb 19, 2014, 05:34 PM »
vets and mdb are kinda packed down easier for those who walk

Offline manduke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Feb 19, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Been gone for quite a while. Happy to see that someone started this site. May go out tomorrow and give it a try once again. Is it best early or later in the morning?

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Feb 19, 2014, 06:23 PM »
Although this thread has just started there is all ready some good info as what to use. Where to start for perch would be Harris Bay, Veteran's Park in Bolton Landing,Million Dollar Beach in the village. Hopes this helps.
vets is pretty good.get my limit there almost all the time.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Feb 19, 2014, 07:16 PM »
x2 on the tungsten.
2 tungsten jigs can get me down to 40 fow as quick as a hali or pimple.
And it loads a tip nicely without needing a spring bobber.  ;)

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Feb 19, 2014, 07:27 PM »
I don't know are mud bugs tungsten. That is what I am using just one nothing else. Like I said gets down fast enough for me but I have had buddies complain trying to rig like me.

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:42 PM »
I don't know are mud bugs tungsten. That is what I am using just one nothing else. Like I said gets down fast enough for me but I have had buddies complain trying to rig like me.
I just went to the northland site it does not indicate jig is tungsten. If it was I think they would indicate in their advertising. Cabela's show the mud bug size 12 hook as 1/64 oz. I have an unopened #12 hook size tungsten mooska jig and it says 1/16oz. Pretty sure the mooska is smaller than the mud bug. Getting the lure down fast helps get additional fish after you bring one in and before the school moves on. Drop time is significant when you are fishing 30+FOW.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Feb 19, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Yeah like I said it is slow but works for me. Caught my limit yesterday and the day before and 40 in 2 hours today 32fow. I have some tungsten's but I can't bring my self to change when I'm having success consistently with something.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #137 on: Feb 19, 2014, 09:19 PM »
I agree with bigfish1212 the mud bug has been on at least one of my jig rods for the past two years and almost always produces when i use it. Some days just have to play the color game with them.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #138 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Jamie, I agree on the Tungstens.  Started fishing them a couple years ago and love 'em.  Don't know if I can afford to tie two on though.  It's bad enough when a Laker takes of of them.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:10 AM »
x2 on the tungsten.

Thanks for the info. 
Does anybody use a heavy sinker with two teardrops above? 

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:16 AM »
x2 on the tungsten.

I agree I have put a green rubber tail on a yellow diamond jig and have found that works exceptionally well when the bite is finicky!
!!FLAG!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:20 AM »
Yeah like I said it is slow but works for me. Caught my limit yesterday and the day before and 40 in 2 hours today 32fow. I have some tungsten's but I can't bring my self to change when I'm having success consistently with something.
I've seen your pics the last couple days man.
I wouldn't change a thing either.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #142 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:16 AM »
wanna try Huddel Bay area and would like to know what road you take off of 9n to access the bay.Thank you.

Offline Tupper Lumberjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:06 AM »
I want to take my girls out Sunday let them chase perch tip ups all day---Can the guys who are going out saturday please give me an update on just the ice conditions I live an hour away, walking doesnt matter to me but I do not want my girls standing in slush and water all day, that makes for a miserable day.

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:10 AM »
Goin to be slushy for a while

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #145 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:11 AM »
I want to take my girls out Sunday let them chase perch tip ups all day---Can the guys who are going out saturday please give me an update on just the ice conditions I live an hour away, walking doesnt matter to me but I do not want my girls standing in slush and water all day, that makes for a miserable day.
The ice will be safe but the conditions will be a hot mess. Definitely will have slush and standing water on the ice. It was a mess yesterday and with rain and warm temps on the way for next couple days it will get worse. Plus once you drill holes the water comes up the hole also....in most spots anyways.

Offline Tupper Lumberjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:12 AM »
If its fishable was thinking of tiny minnows or spikes on easy tripping tip ups for the kids to chase all day. Has anyone ever simply stuck spikes on a tiny treble and fished them under a tip up---I wonder what would outfish the other tiny fatheads are loaded up spike trebles?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #147 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:28 AM »
I've done that fishing for bluegill on some small ponds. It does work pretty good.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #148 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Anyone out of vets today? How was the bite? Gonna head up tomorrow mid morning.

Offline Lunker Luke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Anyone out of vets today? How was the bite? Gonna head up tomorrow mid morning.
bite was ok got about 35 keepers and about 10 gills and a few bass all of the jiging rod but with rhis ran it should be pretty slushy good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.