The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Project Completed - Garage Engineered 10" Auger Bit - ZipEzy Disk/Stopper  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
Read a few threads on this forum and others back home were guys had to rescue their auger bit after it came off their electric drill and when down the hole. One fella here posted his frisbee wasn't able to stop his from going down the hole, to thin & broke through. I'm considering cutting a disk for my 10" StrikeMaster out of a poly kitchen cutting board.  Seen this example from a fellow who used a 3d printer & custom mfg one.  I like the idea of being able to grab the disk and lift the auger up vs using the drill & handle.

Looking for some novel idea's, what have you garage engineered for a disk/stopper ?

Cheers

David

Pic's of the 3D plastic disk.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What have you Garage Engineered for Auger Bit - Disk/Stopper ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2020, 05:30 PM »
I modded my 8" Lazer Hand Auger with a Golf Frisbee Disc. It was about 9" in diameter, drilled a hole in it and used a piece of pvc 1" pipe hose clamped above and below it on shaft to keep it from going up or down. Worked ok. Would have kept me from loosing my Auger down the hole. Upgraded to a Kdrill and have taken all that off my Lazer hand Auger.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2020, 10:59 PM »
WALL E GATOR .... tks for the reply, wondering what others here may have made?

D.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2020, 05:34 AM »
mine is plexiglass circle.

I know a guy that could produce those for ya.  I think they would sell too. if ever interested PM me.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2020, 06:20 AM »
I modded my 8" Lazer Hand Auger with a Golf Frisbee Disc. It was about 9" in diameter, drilled a hole in it and used a piece of pvc 1" pipe hose clamped above and below it on shaft to keep it from going up or down. Worked ok. Would have kept me from loosing my Auger down the hole. Upgraded to a Kdrill and have taken all that off my Lazer hand Auger.

Made two one out of a pie plate/pan..not so great ..then another one from a 5 gallon bucket lid for my SM 6" Lazer ....then I got the 8" K-Drill and that's my story.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2020, 10:37 AM »
Read a few threads on this forum and others back home were guys had to rescue their auger bit after it came off their electric drill and when down the hole. One fella here posted his frisbee wasn't able to stop his from going down the hole, to thin & broke through. I'm considering cutting a disk for my 10" StrikeMaster out of a poly kitchen cutting board.  Seen this example from a fellow who used a 3d printer & custom mfg one.  I like the idea of being able to grab the disk and lift the auger up vs using the drill & handle.

Looking for some novel idea's, what have you garage engineered for a disk/stopper ?

Cheers

David

Pic's of the 3D plastic disk.

You might be able to start a little business with that.

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2020, 09:28 PM »
Fisherman1 .... the 2 circular disc's in my post were found on another forum, I like the guys idea, it makes sense.

Here's the link .... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3281147

River-S .... Plexiglass or Lexan would be another good option, strong & light weight.

Tks

D.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2020, 03:57 PM »
I have done something similar a 9 disk with float foam as well on the shaft.

May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2020, 02:57 PM »
If you don't use the drill chuck to hold the adapter, you can not drop it down the hole. Chucks are put on with a 1/2 inch fine thread. Ebay sells adapters that thread on to the drill in place of the chuck. This also saves your drill chuck from getting all rusty in the winter. I would also replace the wing nut that secures the auger to the adapter with a SHCS and loctite it in place, and secure it with a wrap or 2 of electrical tape. Then your auger will not fall off. You just need to be careful if your auger is so large that the entire thing can go down the hole.

:tipup:

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2020, 02:59 PM »
If you don't use the drill chuck to hold the adapter, you can not drop it down the hole. Chucks are put on with a 1/2 inch fine thread. Ebay sells adapters that thread on to the drill in place of the chuck. This also saves your drill chuck from getting all rusty in the winter. I would also replace the wing nut that secures the auger to the adapter with a SHCS and loctite it in place, and secure it with a wrap or 2 of electrical tape. Then your auger will not fall off. You just need to be careful if your auger is so large that the entire thing can go down the hole.

:tipup:

Can you post the link?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
Project Completed - Garage Engineered 10" Auger Bit Disk/Stopper
« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2020, 02:09 PM »
While at home in C-Virus lock down, designed & completed my disk/stopper project for my b-new 10" StrikeMaster auger.

Found a 14"x17" HD black poly kitchen cutting board at Walmart, made mine 12" in dia using a Dremel rotary saw. 

Used angle grinder and cut off 10" off the top spiral to reduce some weight & would never need to cut through 2 feet of ice.

Used two 1" double split shaft collars to hold it in place.

Used 2 1/2" hole saw & made 5 cut outs to reduce weight & easier to hold on to when lifting the auger out of the hole/ice.

We still have lots of ice, went out to field test it, new auger with Milwaukee Fuel M18 cuts 10" double overlapping holes with little effort.

Total weight is just over 10 lbs .....

Project #2 is a 5" IceBerg Mini auger converted to work with the M18 Drill, light weight & cuts fast, mainly use it to drop the camera down to find the spot on the spot structure.

A bunch of pic's .... named it the ZipEzy Disk or Stopper.

Cheers

David

Project #1 - 10" Auger Disk.

Project #2 - 5" Mini Auger Conversion.

No Difficulty Drilling Overlapping Holes

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice job!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I used a big pot lid before I bought my Clam plate
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
Sylvan Lake, Alberta - went out to survey the ice conditions, we have 6.5" of clear dark ice as of Nov 25th, forgot to bring the drill handle attachment for the M18, this sucker sure has a lot of torque punching a 10" hole, almost broke my wrist. No issues with the auger or drill now I know why people invest in a clam plate.

Cheers

D.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dont think I have a picture, but I made one from an old street sign.  Rigid and lightweight. Then I bought a ClamPlate and don't worry about it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Good job! I like it!   :thumbsup:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I had various versions. The latest was an old pot lid.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2020, 08:57 AM »
I have done something similar a 9 disk with float foam as well on the shaft.

Wondering if I took a hard foam crab pot float and a wood spade bit to make it fit on the auger if it would be worth it to use ? I am sure the pot float would keep it boyant enough.. just though of it sorry .. had to post the idea..

Like these floats the bullet shaped models ?

https://www.ebay.com/b/Crab-Trap-Floats/384/bn_7023310290

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My first version was simply a piece of wood with a loosely fitting U-bolt. No reason it needs to be circular.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What ever floats your auger lol's

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.