Author Topic: Crappies on Minnies??  (Read 2545 times)

Offline perchnfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Crappies on Minnies??
« on: Jan 26, 2004, 08:15 AM »
I would like to hear what you guys like in minnow sizes and how you hook them ? or if you use tails ,heads or what is your favorite technique  bobber or not ?:P ***perchn

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
Re:Crappies on Minnies??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2004, 08:45 AM »
i usualy like to use small minnows for crappie during the day and medium size in low light conditions and at night when they get active.i hook the minnow thru the  back near the tail ,it makes them struggle and gives off a lot of vibrations,i find when i lip hook them a lot of times they just sit there motionless.where i fish the crappies cruise 8 ft depths in the eve so i use a float weighted so it barely stays afloat,that way i can detect the lightest bites.

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2004, 12:02 PM »
I hook small minnows through the back. I almost never hook through the mouth. I have fair success with crappies on minnows, but worms, wax worms, and meal worms on a jig pole seem to work much, much better for me.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2004, 04:29 PM »
Small minnows Hooked behind the rear dorsal fin. I also have a few red beads above the hook for color in low light conditions. For more minnow vibration I have seen some guys trim the rear tail on the minnow to make it struggle to swim supposedly throws off more vibration. Tried it once didn't seem to make much difference to me. So good luck fishing!!!! :'(

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

OU812

Re: Crappies on Minnies??
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2004, 12:16 PM »
Heck...we have caught them on nearly all size bait and setups.

I'll admit, I do agree with the above comments though.
Seems to be more effective if you are using a 2.5 inch (or smaller) baitfish. I hook them through the back/tail and sometimes even upside down.. back past the outlet (if you know what I mean). Any of these are great for still fishin' tipups since it makes him struggle, etc...

I did catch a bucket full on teardrops hooking minnies through the mouth the other night. The fish were active and we had to jig it to entice a strike. Might not have worked on a slow night?

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
Re: Crappies on Minnies??
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:37 AM »
When it comes to hooking minnows I think there are as many different opinions as there are fishermen (and they are all right, of course).   

My rule of thumb is "through the minnow, and not the thumb . . ."

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.