Author Topic: Crappie and lead head jigs  (Read 2282 times)

pryorok

Crappie and lead head jigs
« on: Jan 29, 2004, 04:09 PM »
Fish alot in summer with lead head 1/32 - 1/64 lead jigs with maribou tail more than plastics for crappie.  Seems to me that the maribou gives more action than the plastics.  I've tried them on the ice, but don't have that much luck for crappies. My first thought was that the jigs may be too big, but with all the talk about pimps and kastmasters, which look to be as big or bigger, I've just about thrown that theory out the window.  Do you think the pimps and kastmaster have that much better action, more flash or combo of both than the jigs?  Seems like a lot more success with spoons etc rather than lead heads.  I hardly ever hear of anyone fishing lead head/Maribou jigs during winter.

pryorok

Re: Crappie and lead head jigs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2004, 06:09 PM »
thanks jigwiggler,
I have a lot of good luck in warm weather with maribou jigs and haven't under the ice.  May try one of those small Roadrunners with the small blade to give it that extra flash.

All the best

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Re: Crappie and lead head jigs
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2004, 06:08 PM »
They should work.  I prefer soft plastics over marabou, but maybe that's a regional thing.  Ratsos and Shrimpos, the 2 Customs Jigs and Spins lures are soft plastic jigs with teaser tails that are simply awesome and are available in several glow colors.  Read my post under the shrimpo post for more details on how I fish them. 

My suggestion would be to use a flasher if you don't already.  Like Jigwiggler posted before me, crappie tend to feed up and are often suspended, so knowing what depth that they are holding really helps.  Also, most crappies are night biters too and fishing with a bright lantern or submersible light is useful to attract baitfish and crappie.  However, to your question about the marabou jigs, they work too if you put them in front of their nose.  Again, the sonar is a must.  Try tipping the smaller ones with maggots or the bigger ones with small minnows too. 

If you don't own sonar, try rigging 3 in tandem a foot apart and work different depths systematically in areas that you know crappies are.  You can find those areas if you catch a crappie during the day, chances are they will feed more heavily in that area at night as well.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.