Author Topic: March  (Read 1577 times)

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
March
« on: Feb 20, 2008, 07:57 PM »
What do the crappie do in march? I always thought they would move in shallow and get ready to spawn but in recent years i have had limited success in the month of march.
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline Fishassin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team Hustle
Re: March
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2008, 11:29 PM »
March is the magic month of hardwater, from what I've experienced Schooling begins to happen again.  Safety in numbers brings the whole school off bottom a few feet.  March is the feeding month to prepare for spawn.  Slip bobber and a minnow 1/3 way off bottom, if possible set up a couple people spread along the shore.  You can see when they move through. 

Melting ice = more Oxygen, tough time is lake turnover here they can be any where.

Fishassin
FFLLLAAAGGGG, My buddy yells as he just ran over my Tip up.

Offline boblee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2008, 04:30 PM »
I have found that where i livie(northern Wisconsin) if your catching them on one spot consitantly and then they move. and they will move, then figure out where they will do their spawning. ie: shallow bays creek inlets and outlets, small channels etc.  find the closest deep spot to those spawning areas with good cover, or water breaks and usually youll find them there or somewhere between there and where you were catching them before.  its a tuff time because every lake is different.  but once you find them you can catch some nice slabbers in march

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2008, 09:36 PM »
All the crappie on one of my lakes moved from their hole before the ice. We would name them all spring and summer long then we tried ice fishing the lake for the first time this year and they were not in the hole. I am thinking maybe they go to the spring hole about March.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.