Author Topic: Ice fishing snowmobile  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing snowmobile
« on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Been thinking about getting a snowmobile for Ice fishing. This will be my first snowmobile. What are some sleds I should be looking at? I have both a arctic cat and a Polaris dealer in town. I'd like to stick to those 2 kinds. Thanks!

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing snowmobile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Tuff call. Mainly depends on your budget. I'd recommend a long track for better flotation. Im a polaris guy, so If i was buying a snowmobile, i would find a Polaris 550 Super Sport RMK. Its air cooled so a little lighter than a liquid but plenty of power. Also the Rockey Mountain King edition has the long track with 1 1/2 - 2" paddles. Everyone has their own opinion though. Do some looking on here, you'll find a lot of good info.
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2015, 05:31 AM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=286051.0

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=96656.msg944178#msg944178

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=99074.msg965505#msg965505

Ford or Chevy? Let me preface by saying, I am not a sled nut. I know from research that for fishing and snow travel, a wide long track, two up, and fan are popular features.

It seems all of the major brands have followers and naysayers. I would stick to a major brand. Spend within my budget. Allow for a few maintenance costs.

Now watch that get tore apart! lol

WS

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Since you mention dealers, does that mean you plan on buying new?

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:42 PM »
No. I just want to stick with those 2 brands in case I need work done to them.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:20 PM »
A Polaris 500 widetrak lx is a heck of a good looking fishing sled. It has a 20" wide x 156" long track, and is liquid cooled. I have seen them on a few lakes and they certainly  looked nice. I personally have been looking for awhile, but in my case I am after a older used machine with lower miles. I would love to have a new or newer sled, but it isn't in the cards at this time.

WS

Offline adamg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:29 PM »
I like a 1988 ski-doo citation 250 single cylinder w/ mikuni carb and a couple dozen studs in the track. It goes anywhere , is super light and is a nice relaxing ride. With a big windshield on it I can puff on a cigar while calmly reaching my destination. A whopping $400 and you'll be enjoying true reliability, simplicity and style, and plenty of torque for pulling a shanty at any sane speed. Huge $10,000 sleds are a pain in the aas when the engine computer breaks 8 miles from your truck or home!

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:08 AM »
No. I just want to stick with those 2 brands in case I need work done to them.
Do you have a budget in mind?
Just going off your location, I'd be looking for a fan cooled 2 up preferably with reverse, a stock luggage rack on the back is really handy as well.  I can't imagine you'll get much for deep snow/slush conditions in NW Iowa, or even if you fish the NE SD glacial lakes area.  If that's the case you really don't need a super long or wide track machine.

I personally wouldn't want to spend over $2k for a dedicated fishing machine so with that in mind I'd be looking late 90's early 2000's and a few good Poo and Cat models for fishing are...

Indy Trail Touring
Indy 340 Touring
Indy Lite GT
Panther 440
Panther 340
Bearcat 340
Bearcat 440

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:53 PM »
Bearcat with reverse & electric start ;)

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:03 PM »
My T570 Cat has been a perfect addition to my ice gear. Fan cooled, Electric start, reverse, 144" track.
]

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:12 PM »
I like a 1988 ski-doo citation 250 single cylinder w/ mikuni carb and a couple dozen studs in the track. It goes anywhere , is super light and is a nice relaxing ride. With a big windshield on it I can puff on a cigar while calmly reaching my destination. A whopping $400 and you'll be enjoying true reliability, simplicity and style, and plenty of torque for pulling a shanty at any sane speed. Huge $10,000 sleds are a pain in the aas when the engine computer breaks 8 miles from your truck or home!
You have my vote!  Simple technology that's tried tested and true.  Get stuck, pick it up and move it.  Ever try that with any of the newer and bigger machines you'll be looking for a back operation.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2015, 06:28 AM »
Polaris Indy Voyageur....

600  liquid

Or  550 Fan.

The  fans  are  nice  but   IF    you  ever  encounter  deep  snow  or  slush  they  can  be  a  little  underpowered.

The  liquid  will  have  125  H.P  vs.  60  Hp for  fan.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:30 PM »
Fans are great for their ability to run on sheer ice, and a very popular choice.  They are tough to find used though because everyone that has one hangs onto it. 

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:23 AM »
Top things to look for new or old, lots of people have said them before but just in case.  Fan cooled, long track, 2 up, electric start is nice but not necessary, long paddles on the track or get a replacement (camoplast makes a nice 1" studded ice track that would be on my "dream machine"), back utility rack with a pintle hitch.  I love my pintle style makes hooking and unhooking 10 times easier.

Take this with a grain of salt cause it's coming from a guy who runs a 1989 400 enticer.   ;D

Offline mhtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Ski-Doo tundra, they are bullet proof and very hard to find used do to every coyote hunter and trappers buy them up as soon as they are available. Nice single cylinder engine also on them.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Tundra or a Skandic
Mr.Esox

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:25 PM »
I am sorta in the market myself. I have been eyeing the yamaha phazer xtx pretty hard. I am leaning towards four stroke.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:39 PM »
I am looking for a new ice fishing sled as well. I am looking seriously at the bearcat xt. 2up seat and reverse are a must and the longer track should help with deep snow and slush which we get a lot of here. I really like the room behind the seat for building a rack to put a shanty on.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:15 PM »
If I were buying a brand new sled for fishing, there's no doubt I'd be getting a Ski Doo Expedition Sport 600 Ace.  Check them out, there really isn't a better machine you can buy for strictly fishing.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:52 PM »
If I were buying a brand new sled for fishing, there's no doubt I'd be getting a Ski Doo Expedition Sport 600 Ace.  Check them out, there really isn't a better machine you can buy for strictly fishing.

Agree on the Doo Expedition, I spring ordered one and picked it up last fall. Mine has the 550f engine, it has a pull cord in addition to electric start just in case. The 600 doesn't offer that option. The 550 and 600 are almost identical in HP, but the 600 is much more fuel efficient. Rode about 40 miles on the ice, lots of slush in spots, even with a passenger it's like a tank.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.