Author Topic: What do you think  (Read 5607 times)

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
What do you think
« on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:50 PM »
For somebody that's gonna try and get his first ATV for the ice would you go with a 4 wheeler or a side by side ?
There's some pretty good deals for both around. Just not sure which way to go.  :-\
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What do you think
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:11 PM »
the wife and I talked about this a while back and desided to go with a side by side when we buy

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:20 PM »
It depends what else you plan on using it for........  I know everyone that I know has made the switch to the sidexside simply for comfort, storage ect.  If you've got a better half who will enjoy biking in the summer get the sidexside.  If your gonna mud the thing in the summer than get a quad..  You'll need a trailer with the sidexside and a quad will fit into the truck box.

If I was going to go out and buy one for ice fishing it would be a Sidexside simply for comfort and the box alone to haul/store gear.  They make those machines pretty fancy now a days...

You really can't go wrong eith either... they both beat walking, it's personal preference really.....

Good Luck!!

Offline teambudlite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2013, 02:03 PM »
i would go with the side x side if i was gonna buy new, the polaris rzr will fit in the back of a truck i think its the only one and some trails wont allow side x side on them if your gonna ride in the summer

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2013, 02:56 PM »
i use my lifted golf cart works great

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:08 AM »
If I was going with a side by side I would get an Argo.

WS

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:42 AM »
If I could do it again I would go for a side by side just for my wife's sake. She doesn't like ride on the back. Also the cargo hold would be nice. Down side is having a trailer to get it around unless you can leave from the house. The other side I have a ATV rig to run all over. I have a tent for a hut but almost never use because I like to run and gun. If there are no fish I keep looking. I love my system as it always in the back of my truck ready to go. I get off work at 2pm and on the water by 3 most days and I didn't have to think about it I just go.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:47 AM »
I would go with the side by side since it's much more useful and can be used for lots more things.  I've looked into a both and like the idea that I can use it like a small pick up truck, have a passenger with me, and can  get a cab enclosure for it to keep me out of the weather. 

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2013, 02:35 PM »
I have run a Yamaha Rhino since 2007.   If I don't have a passenger then the Marcum LX-7 gets the spare seat.
For hunting and fishing you can't beat a side by side.  We get plenty of ice so I don't need an Argo, great unit though.
Both units can carry lots of gear.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:52 PM »
I think we'll be going with the sidexside. We don't haul wood or anything but the back cargo area looks like it would be great for hauling one of our one man shacks then we could pull the other one. I've been told the Polaris 500 will fit in the back of my pick-up also. They definitely are more money though.  :(

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:55 PM »
What do you have for a Pickup?

RZR 800

Ranger on tracks

Ranger with my Jed Clampitt look.... ;D

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2013, 12:45 PM »
I've got a GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab so the box is short.

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2013, 01:33 PM »
Midsize 500 may fit.

Offline WIhoundguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:38 PM »
just put a cab and heater on the 800 ranger last weekend. Can not wait to get out on the ice this weeken. Going to have it on lake of the woods later this week then its off to Brainerd for the Jaycees tourney. It is an awesome set up, and comfy for the wife too ;D
WiHoundguy

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:32 PM »
I have an Arctic Cat TRV 500, 2 up ATV and it is nice and maneuverable, but my next machine will be a side by side. They are a lot more versatile. Personally I would get a Razor,  Rhino, or one of the other models that are around 60". That way you still can still ride on most ATV trails that are narrower than the larger UTVs. Also go with something larger than 500cc.
Just my $.02

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline teambudlite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:36 PM »
dirt wheels magazine did a whole thing on all the 2013 side x side this month if you where interested

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2013, 12:13 AM »
full cab and a heater on the side by side is the only way for me now plus I leave my gear in the box load it on the trailer then when i get home just put a clam cover over the box to keep snow out

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I've got a GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab so the box is short.
an atv will fit on your short box... I put a 700 kawasaki praire in the back of my ford with a 5.5 ft box.... Its wayyy better than dealing with a trailer all the time... pretty sure you cant fit a utv in the back of our trucks...I would get an atv for just that reason. Sometimes I leave my atv in the back of my truck all week so I can just hit the ice whenever I feel like it. I strap my 1 man clam to the back rack on the quad and drive it into the truck and drive down the hiway like that...
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:14 PM »
That's make alot of sense and as I check out Craigs List more and more I'm finding some really good deals on ATV's. Wondering if I should just go that route. At least for the first time. And If I end up using it alot then could always go up to a side x side.

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3

Offline stumble-out

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:58 PM »
definately go with the sidex oer any atv.my clamm 2000 fits in the ranger box like it was built to be there.cargonet over the gear and down the road we go.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:31 AM »
My next purchase is a utv. I used to use a 6x6 polaris ranger for ice fishing and although the trikes, sleds and Argo 8x8 are nice but I miss the ranger. If you can find a deal on a used utv or buy new you won't be disappointed with a ranger. I'm buying a ranger for myself and a rzr for my fiancé in the next couple years.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I got a Honda Rubicon 4 x 4 ATV, had a Warn winch, chains, and windshield installed. First trip on glare ice-AWESOME. Never had to engage the 4 wheel drive. I personally picked the ATV over the UTV due mainly to the extra cost and the weight of the UTV. I THINK ( ???) a UTV needs more ice to support it due to the increased weight. The side by side idea and extra carrying capabilities is something you have to add into the ice thickness equation.
For you first timers (like me) that have a similar set-up, DON'T play with the winch without charging the battery up afterward. Between the sub zero weather and a run down battery, my quad wouldn't start the second day. You have to drive them around to keep the battery charged up. Not the quads fault, strictly operator error. Had no way to charge the battery, (my charger was 350 miles+ south), so I had to drag my equipment by hand. Going back at the end of February and this time I will have my charger with me.
On a side note, I had to buy a trailer, no way the quad with all my gear would fit in a truck bed, unless it was a deuce and a half  ;)
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:20 PM »
Guys do you think that on the ATV's (4 wheelers) that power steering is the way to go ? Does it make a big difference ?

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Guys do you think that on the ATV's (4 wheelers) that power steering is the way to go ? Does it make a big difference ?
I don't think it's necessary, but it is a nice upgrade. It is a lot easier to turn at slow speeds too.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Have to agree with Tiny....Nice but not a must have. It's a good thing to have if you ever plan on tracks for it though.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:07 AM »
I have an Arctic Cat TRV 500, 2 up ATV and it is nice and maneuverable, but my next machine will be a side by side. They are a lot more versatile. Personally I would get a Razor,  Rhino, or one of the other models that are around 60". That way you still can still ride on most ATV trails that are narrower than the larger UTVs. Also go with something larger than 500cc.
Just my $.02

Just FYI....most if not all ATV trails in Michigan are maintained at 50 inches.  Routes and snowmobile trails that allow ATV's on them are wider.  Many people in our ATV club who own Razors that are 50 inch wide often have difficulty manuvering on the trails in very tight turns and if there is a tree alongside the trail in a turn.  They often get their over the cab roll bars stuck between two trees that lean over the trail, especially if there is a build up of dirt or a large root at the base of one or more of the trees.  But on trails wider than 50 inches, they are great and most definately make a great ice fishing maching.
If I didn't already have both a quad and sled, a side by side would be the next toy I buy.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Guys ever since I started this topic I've been searching and I've decided on the ATV over the Side x Side. I've found 2 that I have to decide
on which one to buy. Just wanted to get a opinion on what I'm looking at. First machine is a 2008 Suzuki King Quad 750. It only has 8 miles on it !! The guy bought it and never used it at all. Looked at it yesterday and it is brand new. The nubs are still on the lugs on the tires. It's just the machine no winch or anything. He's asking 6400.00. The other machine I looked at is a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 with 950 hrs and over 2000 miles on it. It has a winch and plow with it. And it is in real good condition. No cracked plastic or anything like that. He's come down to 4500.00 for that machine. The research I've done on used ATV's shows these prices to be right on. Do I need the plow (no) but I like the idea of the winch. Also I noticed on-line that the Polaris is rated #1 for ATV's and Suzuki is #3. Both are nice machines and really all I'm going to use it for is ice fishing transportation. Should I go with the new 08 or the 06 used one.   ??? Glenn

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Guys ever since I started this topic I've been searching and I've decided on the ATV over the Side x Side. I've found 2 that I have to decide
on which one to buy. Just wanted to get a opinion on what I'm looking at. First machine is a 2008 Suzuki King Quad 750. It only has 8 miles on it !! The guy bought it and never used it at all. Looked at it yesterday and it is brand new. The nubs are still on the lugs on the tires. It's just the machine no winch or anything. He's asking 6400.00. The other machine I looked at is a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 with 950 hrs and over 2000 miles on it. It has a winch and plow with it. And it is in real good condition. No cracked plastic or anything like that. He's come down to 4500.00 for that machine. The research I've done on used ATV's shows these prices to be right on. Do I need the plow (no) but I like the idea of the winch. Also I noticed on-line that the Polaris is rated #1 for ATV's and Suzuki is #3. Both are nice machines and really all I'm going to use it for is ice fishing transportation. Should I go with the new 08 or the 06 used one.   ??? Glenn

Not to sure a plow is a bad idea, wish I had one on mine.  Drive out to where you want to fish and plow the snow out of the way, or after you auger holes.  I think a winch is like a spare tire, hope you never need it, but when you do, nothing else will work as well.  I kind of wonder how many of those 950 hours was spent pushing a plow. I would think if either machine was abused, it would show. Buy the Suzy, you are going to have to invest more money for a winch. I won't tell you one over the other because I have not owned either. I do have a friend that has a Polaris and it has taken some serious abuse doing farm work and still runs like a top. Suzy has more power and I would guess more fuel consumption . My Rubicon is 500 cc and it pulls everything I can load on my sled without  bogging down a bit. Guess it depends on how fast you want to go or if you think you will need the bigger motor for something else. 500 cc does everything I want it to. I added chains to my back tires which really helped on the glare ice. Go to this website: www.augersidekick.com  and see what you think of that idea after you choose your mount, and good luck. Having an ATV opens up a whole lot of ice as well as hauling a ton of gear. You will love it no matter what you choose.   :tipup:
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2013, 04:43 PM »

If you ride trails, get it if you can afford it.  You'll thank yourself more than a few times.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Is the polaris fuel injected?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.