Author Topic: Big buddy heater problem  (Read 2728 times)

Offline iceman44

• IceShanty Rookie
Big buddy heater problem
« on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:33 PM »
I tried to use my big buddy last weekend. it worked great but it would keep shutting off.  I'm not sure if its from the low oxygen sensor or what. I use a 20 lb cyl. with a 12 foot hose and the filter they sell for it.  I was thinking of buying the mr. heater/cooker. A buddy has one and it works great plus its small and lightweight.  I keep the 20 lb tank on the back of my atv and just run the hose into my shanty.  I have a frabill magnum gt. i tried opening a couple of windows but it still shut off after a while.  ??? Any sugestions?   

iceman44 :tipup:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Re: Big buddy heater problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:41 PM »
I had tank freezing problens last week.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Last weekend, there was a heater problem. My brother proceeded to open up all the windows in the 4-man ice cube and crank the propane stove up. After a couple minutes we couldn't see our breath, and it was in the single digits for temperatures.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:28 PM »
ive had the same problem i just wait a little while then start it again i dont know if it is so much the low oxygen sesor or just the pilot light getting blown out.  when im in my portable it seems to work fine until i open the door seems like the air pressure change blows it out same in my perm
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Only issue I had this weekend was the 1 lb tanks freezing. I poped open the doors and let the tanks hang out a bit. Seemed to help.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2009, 01:01 PM »
you gotta make sure that the heater is sitting fairly level. that is the only down fall to this heater i have the mr. buddy one canister and if i dont get it some what leveled the pilot light will go off.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2009, 01:28 PM »
   I haven't used the "BIG Buddy" heater but did have the "BuddY" heater, pretty much the same design. I tried three in fact. The first two I brought back after a couple times use thinking they were defective after they did the shut off thing like you mentioned. The third one I decided maybe it was me or the way I was using it. Wrong, used it about 10 times, it was the heater. Now I know there are some good ones in use because many fisherman love their "Buddy" heaters. Mine were all crap ! Personally I think in their over exuberant quest for saftey and legal protection they have sensors in them that are a bit over-reactive to thier suroundings resulting in a heater (many times) that under heats and over shuts off. AGAIN, not every "BUDDY" heater they sell has problems but way to many do. I think $100 bucks or more is too much money to spend on something that will only, perhaps,work correctly after you spend some more money on filters and or special hoses.
  MY solution was the Mr. Heater/Cooker period. No complaints, plenty heat,trouble free, can cook on it, and less than half the price the the "Big Buddy"
   Good luck on finding a heater that fits your needs. It's no fun if your freezing!
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:21 PM »
I bought a Big Buddy to use in my garage after buying a regular Buddy that I use in my Yukon.  The regular buddy works fine, but wasn't big enough to heat the garage in real cold temps.  The only time it has shut off was when it was real windy out and the walls of the Yukon were bouncing in and out.  I could see it was causing the flame to come off of the thermocouple.  I'm going to try putting one of the metal guards on it like I have seen on other posts on here.

The Big Buddy does fine in the garage except when I run it on High (both elements lit).  It shuts off every now and then.  I haven't figured out what is causing it, but it looks like with both elements lit, the pressure is low enough that the flame on the thermocouple decreases, and I suspect the heat on the thermocouple reduces to the point that it shuts off for safety reasons.  My Big Buddy is a factory reconditioned.  I'm running it off of a 20# cylinder, 12' hose, and filter to one side. 

I may try putting a tank on the other side to see if it changes anything. 

Jeff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.