Author Topic: PVC !!! Show us your PVC, Build, add-on, rod holders, ETC. Any with PVC pipe!  (Read 263148 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
   I love your tips ups. But I have one question. Do they tip over at all. Was wondering if the bottom was big enough?

I use slush from the hole, never had one tipped over yet.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
That is a really neat set up , but how do the chickens even know it has water in it?Is the water constantly being pu mped and it is recirculating or what?Being in South Dakota it gets real cold and i don't believe i can do this in the winter but am going to have to do something like this in the warm season cause i'm so tired of cleaning out their waters cause there always full of dirt and straw.You definetly got the ball rolling here.Thanks.

I'm in Colorado and it gets cold here. It will work in your area just have to have a heater in the cooler that comes on below 32F. Chickens didn't know there was water in it until I put water in. They were playing with the nipples before  I got it in there. Once they found water comes out they just go to it when they want it. As for the water,it flows from the cooler and back into the cooler using a pond pump. I used this one. http://www.pondplanet.com/pumps/Fountain-Pumps/TotalPond-170-GPH-Fountain-Pump-Low-Water-Shut-Off-MD170ASB and the heater I use this one. http://www.amazon.com/Deicer-Heaters-DeIcers-Fountain-Products/dp/B006Z2BSZ8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1350309800&sr=8-13&keywords=500+watt+pond+heater Except I found this heater for a lot less, I think I only paid $39 for it.
<===Lefty===

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta

I use slush from the hole, never had one tipped over yet.

Cool, I never thought of that. I used to do the slush things with one of the older chairs I had at one time. But, I did not think of it for the tip-downs. Right on.

AltaIce
         @)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Das---where to you get the pvc board from------I've got a similar set-up made from wood,after a few trips on the ice the wood starts to warp.  Looking for something waterproof

thanks

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I built my version of the Mr. Heater Fan. I still need to glue it together and figure the wiring out.

There is another topic on this in the General Discussion forum. I just thought it made more sense to post it in the Equipment Forum.
jbird68

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I built my auger rack for my smitty sled today. The only thing I don't like are the forks on top of the posts. They are not secured very well. The threads are too coarse to fasten with any nuts. So, for now I just have them screwed into blocks of wood inside the top caps.

I modified the forks so I could bolt them to the top end cap. They were wood screw threads and I had then cut off and a bolt was welded in place. The welding melted the red rubber off of the forks. I had to by some plasti-cote the recover them.

jbird68

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great thread! You guys have given me some ideas here...

Here is my project sled. Great for running and gunning, I use it a lot when setting up for pike in the morning rather than lugging my big sled around...

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
I built my version of the Mr. Heater Fan. I still need to glue it together and figure the wiring out.

(Image removed from quote.)

There is another topic on this in the General Discussion forum. I just thought it made more sense to post it in the Equipment Forum.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Hey jbird68,

Good Morning.
   Man, that is awesome. I have been thinking when I get that heater, how I would carry it and hold it in place, while it was on my Ice Fishing Sled.  But I had drawn a blank on how I would attach something to it. So it was easy to carry around.

Great build Brother.  Please … lease let us know how it goes when it is all wired and glued in place.
 (( Do you have the fan set up with a extra battery pack or anything? ))

AltaIce
        @)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta

Hey "J"

Your smitty sled is cool. Please refresh my memory. Is a Smitty Sled, where you can stand on the back of it and ride it a little? ( Right behind your Ice Auger?) 

The only thing I could think of, regarding your concern about the strength and shaking of those two holders.

What if you were to take em both off. ( put em aside for another project one day) 

-  What if you were to take a Tee off of the pipe that comes straight up. 

-   then take two small lengths of pipe out of it ( one one each side ) ( You would have to decide how long, but long enough to side a 90 degree elbow on the end of it. ( Now it is shooting straight up )

-   Decide how high you wish to go .  ( Keeping in mind what you discussed before, regarding movement and jumping of the auger. When   you hit a bump. 

-  Hard to explain  ( with me drawing it) but it would look like a upside down horse shoe, or big U..  but this way it has no direct metal through a little hole that has to take the vibration.  But a Tee (Glued in time) to the pipe that you have attached to the skies and it holds it in p;ace with a tee then 90 degree elbows, then any height of pipe you wish to maintain the auger in place.

I will see f I can find a picture from my stack and see if i can post it on here.   I have not posted a pic in such a long time..  LOL ..

Sorry if this confuses you more.  LOL ..

AltaIce
       @)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Great thread! You guys have given me some ideas here...

Here is my project sled. Great for running and gunning, I use it a lot when setting up for pike in the morning rather than lugging my big sled around...
………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Hi Blaine.

Great Pic and  build.  Don't take this the wrong way…. But .. When I first looked at the pic of it… ( With OUT reading what you had wrote first)
My first thought was… " Cute, small and would never work for me….

Now Let me explain…  LOL ..    I am a born Pack-Rat.. Hoarder, some might say ( when it comes to my packing for fishing or anything)

I want to haul the world!!!!! No matter how heavy the world is… and if I can carry someone else's stuff , to make it a better walk for them I throw there stuff on as well.   LOL.  So I keep thinking Awesome build but too little … LOL

Then … then … I read what you had written and it made all the sense in the world.. You wrote that this one was used for your " Gunner and Runner" Sled.   Gawd, what a wild idea.

Holy crap Brother!   It then hit me ….. I need to build a trailer for my bigger sled, ( which, I still hand pull)  a gunner and runner like you mentioned. So I don't have to use my sled ( onceI get 1- auger, two tents, two chairs and a whole lot of gear off of it and then repack it to take it too the holes, or go and see and help someone else with there stuff,  etc.

Now, as soon as my belly has healed, you have me thinking that it might be time to hit the little workshop in my basement and give it some serious thought about a little pull along trailer for my sled. …. Ahhh geese thanks Blaine.. you gave me a work project with out even trying… My wife may not thank you…. But I do thank you… ( Handshake )… LOL

Once again sir.  Great build, smart small and light… perfect for running all around. I also love the fact that your Fish Finder is hooked to it.  Really Cool.
  Have a Great Weekend, everyone.

AltaIce
                @)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
 Hi jbird.

Sorry never had time to find a picture and then relearn how to post it again.

On the ULR I will try to stick to this note..   Take a look at some of the pics to see if you can see what I mean. When I say use your pipe, tee's and elbows to make your holders. 

Just trying to remember back what I have posted on there for pics. But, it might show what you could use or even the way I hold my chairs on there, that is kinda half of what I mean..

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=136832.0       See if that works and I hope it helps a little.

Everyone enjoy your day and all those around you.

Take Care.  and always … thanks for sharing your thoughts, ideas and pics.  That is why I love this site.

AltaIce
       @)

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I also love the fact that your Fish Finder is hooked to it.  Really Cool.

Not JUST a fish finder but Side Imaging  ;D I can spot the brush piles from 150 feet away, drop a waypoint on one and walk right to it with the unit showing me the way  ;) The unit will run off of my flasher battery. Once we've found what we're looking for I shut it down and fire up the flasher... Almost like cheating somedays.

I carry the tip ups for pike. We're allowed 6 lines here, so we spread way out and each go our own way with the bait and terminal gear. One we're set up with 5 lines we pepper the place with holes and run and gun with the rods for crappie and perch.
I'm not as young as I used to be but I'm much more efficient  ;) Work smarter, not harder...

Here is a video of how we roll: Precision jigging

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Blaine, working smarter and definitely fishing smarter, great video!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Hey  wiredstone and bart,

Afternoon All.

Ya, I guess your both right. "Working smarter and definitely fishing smarter"
  I agree, but at times with my ADHD… I do hear at times, but kinda slow on the up take, when it comes to doing the Smarter thing.

We are only allowed to drop two lines here at any one time per person. So at times I guess i would not need a little Runner and Gunner. But I love how fast and light it would be.

Man, I do love the idea about that Flasher thing, though. Down the road( maybe next year I hope to get one)  To be able to find all the side weeds and points of interest, does sound like a Win-Win situation. I agree with you both.

Bart, you are right it is a great Video. I have never fished with one or with anyone that has used a flasher or something like it.
  It does seem the way to go for sure.

Thanks again guys.

Take Care.  and once again thanks for the info.

AltaIce
             @)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
I have never fished with one or with anyone that has used a flasher or something like it.

The best advice I could give you, get a flasher ASAP!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta

The best advice I could give you, get a flasher ASAP!

Ok … Ok … LOL … I'll look into it. Maybe thinking I could wait until next year, was a bad idea?  Thanks Bart.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hi jbird.

Sorry never had time to find a picture and then relearn how to post it again.

On the ULR I will try to stick to this note..   Take a look at some of the pics to see if you can see what I mean. When I say use your pipe, tee's and elbows to make your holders. 

Just trying to remember back what I have posted on there for pics. But, it might show what you could use or even the way I hold my chairs on there, that is kinda half of what I mean..

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=136832.0       See if that works and I hope it helps a little.

Everyone enjoy your day and all those around you.

Take Care.  and always … thanks for sharing your thoughts, ideas and pics.  That is why I love this site.

AltaIce
       @)

I see what you mean about using t's and elbows to make holders. Too late now, though. Someone else had bought a pair of gun holders for an ATV that I really liked but not willing to spend $40+ shipping. I already had one garage tool holder and they are pretty cheap. So I just had them modified. I used large washers inside the caps so all the stress was spread out evenly instead of just at the hole. What I was worried about was the auger stand swaying from front to back...not so much from side to side. I thought about putting an angle bracket from one upright to the ski but didn't want to have something sticking up from the ski that would make packing the skis harder...if you know what I mean.
jbird68

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
I see what you mean about using t's and elbows to make holders. Too late now, though. Someone else had bought a pair of gun holders for an ATV that I really liked but not willing to spend $40+ shipping. I already had one garage tool holder and they are pretty cheap. So I just had them modified. I used large washers inside the caps so all the stress was spread out evenly instead of just at the hole. What I was worried about was the auger stand swaying from front to back...not so much from side to side. I thought about putting an angle bracket from one upright to the ski but didn't want to have something sticking up from the ski that would make packing the skis harder...if you know what I mean.
…………………………………………………………………………
  Hi jbird68.

Yes I know what you  mean now. Sorry I misunderstood. Maybe a angle bracket might work. Even if it was removable.

@)

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Hi Blaine.

Great Pic and  build.  Don't take this the wrong way…. But .. When I first looked at the pic of it… ( With OUT reading what you had wrote first)
My first thought was… " Cute, small and would never work for me….

Now Let me explain…  LOL ..    I am a born Pack-Rat.. Hoarder, some might say ( when it comes to my packing for fishing or anything)

I want to haul the world!!!!! No matter how heavy the world is… and if I can carry someone else's stuff , to make it a better walk for them I throw there stuff on as well.   LOL.  So I keep thinking Awesome build but too little … LOL

Pack-Rat... It's a disease. I'm the same way. This is what the truck looks like for a full day on the ice!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Pack-Rat... It's a disease. I'm the same way. This is what the truck looks like for a full day on the ice!
…………………………………………………………………………………………

Hey Blaine,
 Morning young feller, and everyone else.

Thanks for the pic, you made my day … LOL ..  Glad to see that I m not the only one that brings everything or tries.
 As I looked at the amount of items, you were getting ready to haul for a enjoyable day of Ice Fishing.

I started to think of what I could bring if I just had a truck.  Then .. then … I started to sweat.. LOL …  It takes me for ever now to unload the back of my Rav 4.  If I had a truck, oh I would be in trouble.

But when I look at the back of your truck. ( with out seeing everything at the bottom..LOL) To me it looks like you have just the right amount of items that a person would use with fishing with one, two or more people and not need anything. ( I am figuring you had at least two ice fishing tents at the bottom)

Well, long story short, You , "WE" are kinda a like …. scary Eh? … LOL .. But do you think we are the only Ice Fishing Pack-Rats that are out there??   I would hope not.
   I agree with Ya. It is a disease! Ha, Ha. As I see it in my head.. OK … ok … let me try to reason this out, in away that if my WIFE ever reads this. It might make sense to her or at least convince her that for what ever reason I have it worked out in my head of why I have to take everything in the world with us on a Ice Fishing trip.

Ahhhhhh, Crap.. I think my first cup of coffee just kicked in with my ADHD .. LOL.. So I hope this is not too long of a story … ( Not to sure if anyone appreciates me going on a Blabber talk on this site.  Hope most are ok with it. LOL … I am trying to keep them down. (short)

Now where was I?… Oh Ya.( See if any if this rings a bell with inside your brains, as I try to explain this in a way my WIFE doesn't shake her head every time she see's me pre pack for 3 day's of a one day IceFishing trip)  In my head I don't bring everything just for the sake of saying I can. I ( tell myself) bring a lot of stuff I guess, because I am trying to prepare for the "What if's".  Like - I should pack these extra 7 ice skimmers… what if we come across someone that does not have one. ( It has happened once so far.)  What if we don't bring the extra tent with us and we meet up with someone that could use it. What if we don't bring enough food to feed the entire lake. Not nice to set up the old propane stove, if your not gonna share a hot meal with others that could use it. 

Ok … ok … I just took a breath and read back what I just wrote… LOL .. now I wonder if maybe it was beginning to sound like B.S., just to confuse my WIFE that it is a must. That I have to bring so much stuff.. ( Note - - She has a really good B.S. meter, by the way. Hence the rolling of the eyes and shaking of the head as she oh so politely listens to the reasons I try to provide. ))

Blaine !!  I think your right…. We ( and a whole bunch of others, I might add) have a disease.  There, Ok … I said it… You have a disease.
 ( ok, Ok ,  maybe I do as well.. LOL)

But … but … Everyone out there… Ask yourselves  this… If you had a choice to have this so called " Pack-Rat" disease, or so called self affliction of a sport that we all love. Would you not want it to be for Ice Fishing…   Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Sorry I should get off of my soap box, ( which mind Ya, can be turned up-right to hold more stuff) and just stop typing. 

I am far from a great or even good Ice fisherman. I have no problem admitting that. As one has to get out a lot more to be able to be that.
But, maybe that is it, maybe for me and some other Pack-Rats. It is not the idea of catching the fish( Don't take that the wrong way) … But it is the whole adventure… the hours one can spend in pre setting up the gear they wish to take… playing it through there minds of what hooks would work the best. The what ifs'.. Like, what if the wind comes up and the temp drops out of this world… DO WE have enough stuff with us that it will not be a day of disaster, but a day of.. Hey we got through it… and still enjoyed it.

Hope Ya know what I mean…. You … you  " Diseased Pack-Rat, over hauling, son of a cold worshiper, fish hunting, friend making, finger freezing, Addict! "

Nuff said…. LOL .. Sorry if I offended any one in the making of this over coffeed, ADHD Style of conversation.

Wishing you all a Safe and Eventful day on the Ice today.
  Enjoy your day and all those around you.

(( have to grab some more coffee and the wonderful pancakes my wife makes.  ))
   Take Care all. Be Safe and always remember to be You.

AltaIce
              @)

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
one heck of a load. glad i dont have to help pulling it but i love it.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
My home made Lip Ripper..............Ca ught a couple gills on it last year.  I have added an audible alarm to it for this season.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
My home made Lip Ripper..............Ca ught a couple gills on it last year.  I have added an audible alarm to it for this season.

Nice it is like the Jawacker or Automatic fisherman.
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Alot cheaper ;)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Alot cheaper ;)

I guess so, I might have to build me one now.
<===Lefty===

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
…………………………………………………………………………………………

Hi Hounds,
 Good morning.

I like it. Small and efficient. Bet it works very well.  I made one two years ago and it was three times bigger. ( never used it )

You made a great design. 

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
This is a really great thread
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Hi all.

Well it is not for fishing… But … but, it is made of PVC.  I made a FR Gun Holder for our work place.  Out of PVC, bathroom shower shelves. LOL.
  Heck it seems to work well.  Have not posted a pic in many years.Lets see if I figured it out.   LOL .

Try number two, Lets see if these ones work.  Have A great Day Everyone, and a Even better Weekend.   Cheers!   
(( And thanks for all your pics and post of PVC stuff ))

AltaIce
        @)

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Altaice

I'm glad you liked the design I can't take credit for it.  Last year guys were posting designs for homemade jaw Jackers and I put 2 and 2 together and ended up with this.  It is simple  and does work.................. .Hounds

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Altaice

I'm glad you liked the design I can't take credit for it.  Last year guys were posting designs for homemade jaw Jackers and I put 2 and 2 together and ended up with this.  It is simple  and does work.................. .Hounds

So is that 3/4" or 1" PVC you used? What did you use for the hook on the rod tip?
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.