Author Topic: Electric fillet knives  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Electric fillet knives
« on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Do they make the 'chore' any faster for crappie and perch??  They are only 2-3X more expensive than a regular filet knife, and I'd like to get some opinions before I drop the coin on one.

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Electric fillet knives
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2008, 01:56 PM »
I have an electric knife that I hook up to my camera battery, I can rip through a  pile of gills in no time.
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:09 PM »
They definatly makle the job faster.  Well worth the investment.  I have had mine for probably 6 yrs now and still have the two sets of baldes I got when I bought it.  They make it easier on the hands when you got 100 gills to clean.
<br />

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:03 PM »
How do you use them on gills? Do you cut the bones out after you fillet it?Or can you cut it without taking the bones?

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:28 PM »
I fillet each side, usually all of the fish i have, then skin them, then cut out the rib cage. Faster done than typed.
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:41 PM »
It took me a long time to give up my fillet knife for an electric. Now that I have I don't ever see myself going back. The electric is faster than I could ever do it the old way. I cut the slabs of meat off, ribs and all. Then I take out the ribs, then skin them. 30-45 seconds a fish is possible with a bit of practice.

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Get yourself an electric knife. I learned how to clean fish with and electric knife when I was in my teens, over 20 years later I hate using a normal knife. They are great for crappies, perch and I wouldn't clean bluegills without one. I've used several brands and I like the Mr Twister knife the best. Also the blades actually get better with age, I find them to be a little too sharp at first. Speed control is a big deal with learning to use one. You don't need it on full bore all the time, I usually just give it short bursts on each cut.

I usually just fillet them with the ribs in and cut those out the next day, usually with a kitchen shears.

Tim

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:42 AM »
When using my standard fixed blade on crappie, I always left the ribs on the carcass...are you saying with the electric it is easier just to fillet off the ribs and go back after and remove them??

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:57 AM »
When using my standard fixed blade on crappie, I always left the ribs on the carcass...are you saying with the electric it is easier just to fillet off the ribs and go back after and remove them??

Not sure how anyone else does it but yes that is what I'm saying. You don't have quite the control with the cuts as you might with a regular fillet knife. It's just much quicker getting the whole fillet off the fish. I know I'm still faster then if I used a regular fillet knife but then maybe I'm just not that good as some are with a knife.
A lot depends on how many fish you clean at a time. When I learned there would be 2 to 5 of us fishing on lakes with very generous limits so I was often cleaning 100 panfish or more. I just wanted to get them in the fridge in an hour and leaving the ribs in makes that possible for me. It doesn't take much to just go back and take them out right as you do them but I don't always do that.
If you have a good system or don't clean more then 15 panfish at one time then maybe you can be just as happy without one.

Tim

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:26 AM »
I see people are using them on panfish, do they work well on Pike and Walleye?
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:48 PM »
I see people are using them on panfish, do they work well on Pike and Walleye?

Can't say much about the pike since I normally use a regular fillet knife on them but for the walleye they are great. I've been using a mister twister knife for many years. We actually replaced one 2 years ago since the old one was worn out. And as was stated in a previous post the blades are better with age as they are very sharp when new. Also the process for cleaning them is the same as described above for bluegill.  The only trick when ice fishing is to let the fish thaw out a bit before using an electric knife on them.

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Had 30 crappies to clean today and didnt want to spend all day at it. So I went to Wally world and got me a new elec knife,WOW how have I done without this for so long. These things are a breeze to fillet fish. ;D ;D

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2008, 09:17 PM »
Just make sure the fish are not frozen competely.  It will be easier if the meat is firm not frozen.  Trust me on this one.
<br />

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:00 AM »
With out a doubt get the electric I was introduced to them about 4 years ago and now only break out the manual when I have less than 10 fish to do..
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:06 AM »
I just used my last Christmas gift certificate for one yesterday after catching anice mess of perch.  I can't believe I have gone this long without one!!  I would say it cut my cleaning/filleting time down by 1/3-1/2.  I ended up buying a Rapala model that came with (2) different sized blades, a small cutting board and a nice hardcase to carry everything.  It cost $29.99 at the store I purchased it at.  Worth every penny in my opinion.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline jmdigello

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:09 AM »
electric is quick.  takes a little getting use to.  i cut through the ribs down the spine and to the tail, but i leave a little skin connected to the tail and then flip the fillet over (still attatched to the tail facing away from the carcass) then you can zip the skin right off with the knife and all you have left is flesh and rib bones.  which i usually leave untill i eat them.  just cut em out with a standard knife in the kitchen.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Just bought the Mister Twister model at BPS for $19.99. Saw above it they had the saltwater model that runs off of DC with more of a fillet style blade for $29.99 Is the regular one what most use or do you guys opt for the $29.99 one?
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2008, 03:56 PM »
Well I got the american angler model that cost 29.99 aat walmart.  It has motre of a fillet style blade and now you can get thin blades to go on it for the same price as regular replacement blades,
<br />

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2008, 04:37 PM »
Just bought the Mister Twister model at BPS for $19.99. Saw above it they had the saltwater model that runs off of DC with more of a fillet style blade for $29.99 Is the regular one what most use or do you guys opt for the $29.99 one?

I like the standard straight blade. I think the fillet style blades are more for show. The only reason I can see for going with the other model is if you need it to run on DC.

Tim

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:07 AM »
It was a hard choice between the two. The thinner fillet style blade looked more of what you'd expect for a fillet knife but, the other one did come with a free cutting board that was valued at $9.99. So I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback!  :) Never have used one of these things before.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:23 PM »
I would not give up my electric knife for anything!!!!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Picked up a rapala electric fillet knife.  I butchered the first few but now I can cut fillets out just a good if not better than the old way.  And it only takes half the time.  Electric knife came with a case, extra blade, and adapter to run off of a battery.  I could run it off of my marcum battery if I wanted to. ::) 
Bullet with a name on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.