Author Topic: Bucket mod pictures and suggestions  (Read 4736 times)

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bucket mod pictures and suggestions
« on: Mar 16, 2018, 08:53 AM »
I've looked through old posts for bucket mods, and pictures are missing from most.  Please post your pictures of bucket mods showing rod holders, etc.  I'd like to get some ideas for things to do over the summer, with the goal being putting together a nice setup for storing and using gear in a flip-over that I pull by hand.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bucket mod pictures and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Photobucket probably hosed all my other pics.
I made a bucket light. 5gal bucket, 2-3ft of LED stick strip lighting, some wire, a switch,  couple spade connectors, and cable ties.
Pics are pretty self explanatory. Does a great job of lighting up the area when chasing tip ups at night.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply!
We'll probably see more in November!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2018, 12:15 PM »
A good 7 gallon bucket for height is nice ....atop that a good 1/2 moon cushion seat ..for even more height and comfort ...a good light weight plastic scoop ..as for rod holder I picked up a Berkley rod holder at Walmart that does just fine for transport and dead sticking .Frabill makes a sit and stow which is nice for storage

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Bucket-Rod-Holder/33607326

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Sit-N-Stow/19341019

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/accessories/ht-padded-bucket-seat?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JO99baA2gIVzbrACh3n7A6AEAYYAyABEgK4E_D_BwE
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Kitty litter LX7 rod holding beer transporting contraption.

12v outlet, lights, recessed cups in the lid. One is for a transducer and the other is for bait. On the front there’s a 1” RAM ball for mounting my underwater camera.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2018, 07:03 AM »
A good 7 gallon bucket for height is nice ....atop that a good 1/2 moon cushion seat ..for even more height and comfort ...a good light weight plastic scoop ..as for rod holder I picked up a Berkley rod holder at Walmart that does just fine for transport and dead sticking .Frabill makes a sit and stow which is nice for storage

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Bucket-Rod-Holder/33607326

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Sit-N-Stow/19341019

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/accessories/ht-padded-bucket-seat?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JO99baA2gIVzbrACh3n7A6AEAYYAyABEgK4E_D_BwE

I like the looks of the padded seat.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2018, 07:04 AM »
Kitty litter LX7 rod holding beer transporting contraption.

12v outlet, lights, recessed cups in the lid. One is for a transducer and the other is for bait. On the front there’s a 1” RAM ball for mounting my underwater camera.

Are the square cat litter buckets a bit bigger than a round five gallon bucket?  The drink holder is a nice touch!

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2018, 09:00 AM »
wow,nice job---------------I've got a few of those kitty litter boxes,may have to try it

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2018, 06:43 AM »
FL-18,  kitty litter bucket

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:29 AM »
straightshot------how do you have it set up inside the litter box----battery and etc

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2018, 07:13 AM »
straightshot------how do you have it set up inside the litter box----battery and etc

dairyman:

I just saw you question.  Sorry that it took so long to answer, but that's not my setup.  I'm still looking and haven't started modifying a bucket yet.

There are some great ideas here. I like the idea of getting the fish finder up closer to my hands and face and having tools latched on to where one can get to them, and they won't go down the hole or be left on the ice.  Cutting holes in the lid to put stuff flush with the lid is something that I hadn't thought about, either.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Nothing special here. Lot of guys use this set up. I used those 15" sections of sink drain pipe and cut them in half. Cheaper and easier (thinner) to work with than standard PVC pipe. Drilled 2 holes through pipe and bucket and attached with #10-32 screws...3/4 in.  Threw in a couple of flat washers, a lock washer and 2 nuts for good measure. Cut the slots using a utility knife...carefully. The screws stick through the bucket a bit but not enough to cause me any issues. And the thinner pipe hasn't broke or cracked for 2 seasons of use. 

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2018, 04:06 PM »
FL-18,  kitty litter bucket

I have seen this before and just thought about this. That's a lot of cutting of PVC for the rod holders. Why not just cut the length that you really need and then cut a notch for the reel? as for mounting, drill holes all the way through, use screw thru back side and stick screw driver thru the front side. acorn nut on the inside. the battery is in the flasher carrier. the flasher rests on 2 metal rods. not mine, but I just happen to save the photos from when oit was posted originally

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2018, 07:02 PM »
rdhammah,

That’s what I did with my rod holders when I built my first one two years ago. You can scroll up a few posts to see the pics of the exterior. Here’s a closer look at the rod holders.

My battery is inside the bucket. I feel that you need it in the bottom because it helps out the center of gravity on the entire thing. If it sits too high it won’t be as stable if a gust of wind kicks up and it’ll be tippy when moving from hole to hole...plus it’ll anchor itself in the sled better by getting the weight lower.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2018, 08:08 PM »
rdhammah,

That’s what I did with my rod holders when I built my first one two years ago. You can scroll up a few posts to see the pics of the exterior. Here’s a closer look at the rod holders.

My battery is inside the bucket. I feel that you need it in the bottom because it helps out the center of gravity on the entire thing. If it sits too high it won’t be as stable if a gust of wind kicks up and it’ll be tippy when moving from hole to hole...plus it’ll anchor itself in the sled better by getting the weight lower.

was that yours too? the one with the rods through it? the one with the purple lid is version II? the battery was an oversight on
my part with the purple lid version. I was wondering how it didn't tip over when you start to remove things out of their holders. LOL

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2018, 11:28 AM »
was that yours too? the one with the rods through it? the one with the purple lid is version II? the battery was an oversight on
my part with the purple lid version. I was wondering how it didn't tip over when you start to remove things out of their holders. LOL

Technically I’ve built two but used the same lid on both. The tip off is the piece of black duct tape on the purple lid. Same lid, different buckets.

On the first one I’d didn’t have a 12v socket or a usb outlet. On that one I had two 9ah batteries and on the 2nd I had a single 12ah battery. Before the season I’ll be doing a third one (I have piles of those buckets) simply because I have lithium batteries which will require a different set up to get the center of gravity to my liking....plus a few other tweaks to make it just a touch more user friendly. It’s solid now but with a tweak here and there it’ll enhance it just enough to make the time worthwhile.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.