Author Topic: Ion x with 6 inch bit  (Read 1176 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ion x with 6 inch bit
« on: Mar 06, 2018, 09:43 AM »
A friend purchased a 6 inch ion it was on sale, he is giving me the 6 inch bit and will be buying a 8 inch bit for next season. I use a 6 inch hand auger but when ice is thick might use the ion. Anyone using a 6 inch ion? does it cut noticeable faster? I know it will prolong battery life. Like to keep my options open, and Ill never turn down free gear. Any input scott? I think you have one.
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ion x with 6 inch bit
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2018, 10:42 AM »
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:28 AM »
thanks Joe, I wish it had the power point on the 6
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:57 AM »
thanks Joe, I wish it had the power point on the 6
there might be a way to install it on there... you can buy them as an replacement...I'll look at the diagram and see...

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:02 PM »
A friend purchased a 6 inch ion it was on sale, he is giving me the 6 inch bit and will be buying a 8 inch bit for next season. I use a 6 inch hand auger but when ice is thick might use the ion. Anyone using a 6 inch ion? does it cut noticeable faster? I know it will prolong battery life. Like to keep my options open, and Ill never turn down free gear. Any input scott? I think you have one.

I have an 8" and recently bent the ring which Ion (Ardisam) replaced with the newer cast ring model. ScotNH lent me his 6" and I was so impressed with it and how it cut, I bought a 6" for backup and anchor holes for my bobhouse. The 6 cuts noticeably faster than the 8 but not by much. Great customer support from Ardisam. I have the 12" extension that slightly bent from being jostled on the racks while running across bumps on the lake and I called them and they sent me a brand new one even though it was partially my fault (have since put the bit with the extension on a wider rack for more support.) So I cut down the bent one and fixed it and it works great and I have a spare extension now too.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:06 PM »
there might be a way to install it on there... you can buy them as an replacement...I'll look at the diagram and see...

Roccus, the 6" bit uses the older style metal ring at the bottom. The cast, which has the point is a different animal as far as I can tell. maybe there's a way to retro-fit the point?

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:19 PM »
I originally bought my ION with the 6” bit because it was a year end clearance deal and it was the only size left at a phenomenal price. I’ve since bought the new ION X 8” bit.

There is no question, the 6” cuts much faster and totally effortlessly. What I like most about the 8 inch is the centering point. At this point, I wouldn’t give up the 6” or the 8”. I love the 6” when I’m chasing panfish. I got the 8” because it was tough cutting good double holes when I was fishing for lakers. If the 6” had the centering point, I probably would not of gotten the 8”.

I also got a cold snap cover for my 8”. It’s awesome. It makes it effortless to attach and detach the cover without using your hands. Unfortunately they don’t make one for the 6”.

I’ve been spoiled by the centering point and the cold snap cover. But there is no question, the 6” cuts dramatically easier.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:36 PM »
Roccus, the 6" bit uses the older style metal ring at the bottom. The cast, which has the point is a different animal as far as I can tell. maybe there's a way to retro-fit the point?
.. I knew  that...like us.. they are still learning... I'm thinking a little Yankee ingenuity is in order.. wouldn't be the first time I made something better than when  it came from the factory...

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Thanks for the input. Always good to have new toys
Salmonemia

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2018, 03:48 PM »
My 6 inch cuts like butter and is very fast. I’ve had it for 2 yrs now.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2018, 08:54 PM »
I'm thinking a little Yankee ingenuity is in order.. wouldn't be the first time I made something better than when  it came from the factory...
Roccus, No doubt in my mind!  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.