Author Topic: salamonie reservoir dam  (Read 2047 times)

Offline biteme260

• Team IceShanty Regular
salamonie reservoir dam
« on: Mar 17, 2019, 09:51 AM »
I've fished salamonie reservoir a few times but I'm not sure where the dam is. I've fished pirates cove and under 105 for crappie, but I haven't figured out where the dam is. Can anyone help me out? Was thinking of trying it out soon with the warm up.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: salamonie reservoir dam
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:21 AM »
If you have Google maps on your phone it should be your best friend.   The dam is located on the NW end of the reservoir.

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2019, 11:02 AM »
Dam is on 100 South west of 105, road takes you over the top.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2019, 04:02 PM »
west of SR 105 on SR 124 to the county Road that takes you north to the Dora Boat Ramp.  It's marked with a brown state res sign.  At the dead end turn right to the Dora Ramp turn left to the Damn.  It's well marked with brown signs.  Right before you get to the Damn on the curve the road vears to the left.  The left road will take you to the horsemans camp.  There is a lake there to fish and the parking lot where you can take the trail to fish the tail waters.  Cross the damn and follow the signs to more parking to fish the tail waters.  Good luck

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2019, 04:09 PM »
Next time you are at the 105 bridge stop in the office at the lost west bridge and get a map.  It will help get you around the county roads.  While you are in the area stop in Bozarth's campground for the best Tenderloin sandwich you ever ate. They also have plenty of fresh homemade food with daily specials.  If you don't want to eat the local BSer's are always there.  These guys fish the res almost daily. They used to be a Bass Pro shop until  Bass Pro and Cabelas merged.   It's just worth the trip there to look at the tackle and lodge cast iron equipment.  Want to see big crappie from the res go there in May when the crappie tournaments are on.  Makes you wonder what you are doing wrong.

Offline biteme260

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:41 PM »
I've tried looking it up on maps but couldnt find it. Sounds like I was close really want to figure out how to find walleye from salamonie. Been to that bait shop my grandpa enjoys going there whenever we are out that way. Great crappie selection. I've heard of big crappie coming out of their but I've never seen them. Thanks for the advice!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:28 PM »
Here!

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Quick question wanna crappie fish this spring there and camp with the family. Salamonie or Missy if you had to pick one?
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Either one are good and pretty much equal for size and numbers right now. Both state owned camp grounds are nice but I think the sally will offer much more for the family. large play ground, hiking, visitor center as well as a very nice education center. Bait shops close by and restaurants just a few miles away. Sally almost always has weekend activaties in camp ground. Check out my reports on myfishfinder site. Weather can play a big part on the resi itself but there are several ponds on the property and even in the camp ground itself with fishing. I suggest bozarths camp center for all you'll need for a good trip. 

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2019, 12:22 PM »
I have personally camped and fished at mississinewa numerous times and it is one of my favorite places to go! Mississinewa dam has amazing fishing but the water has to be right just as big r stated.... The campground is very clean very nice and the bathrooms and showers are also very well kept up.mississinewa campground also has a lot of small ponds to take the kids fishing on. If you want to take the kids somewhere will they will not get bored catch the mississinewa dam at the right time !!

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Awesome guys thanks alot. Cant wait to give it ago will report on myfishfinder when I do. But first I have lake erie walleye on my brain! In about 5 weeks
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2019, 03:36 AM »
you mite do better in the lower stretches of the small rivers now.  tad early for full blown push "up river".  toss out some night crawlers or fresh cut chub chunks, on bottom, and run a jig rod all over where the saly or missy dump into the bash.  below the saly confluence, on the bash, is some prime area to probe early season.

good luck to ya down there.  be sure and post some pics.  I hear lots of blowing about the eyes down there but see few pics to back up the wind. lol 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2019, 03:45 AM »
and read the navigable river laws.  that way you know where you are allowed to be walking/wading.  when you go "in search of" you run into issues sometimes.  know the law,(and keep a copy of it on you) don't let idiots ruin your fishing.  I had a guy run me off with a gun, one time, till I learned the law.  next time I went back I told him to use it or ____ off.  I had my own body guard more than ready when he came crunching down the bank. lmao 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.