Author Topic: Wolfram fiskas jigs  (Read 7279 times)

Offline BigSam007

• IceShanty Rookie
Wolfram fiskas jigs
« on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:47 PM »
Hey guys,
Id like to start jigging for perch this winter and I was looking around for small jigs and I fell on Wolfram fiskas jigs. Im very interesting in buying a dozen or so of themin different color and sizes. Id like to know which size and color do you use for perch between 10 to 25 feet of water and if you tip them with anything. I want to add also that it will be used on an ultra light rod with 3lbs line maybe 2lbs depending of what I see on this forum.

To all I wish you a merry Christmas and tons of fish this winter!

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
Re: Wolfram fiskas jigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:37 AM »
i use size 4mm with plastics or spikes
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline BigSam007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:54 PM »
Since they are small in size, do they attract and catch some of the bigger perch? When I say bigger I mean 8in+ in length.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:16 PM »
I typically use 3, 4, and 5mm tungstens plus a variety of spoons and jigging raps.  Yes, going small can attract the larger perch - sometimes it takes small.  I usually start big and work my way down in size.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:22 PM »
We use mostly 4,5mm and Gold glow works well with spikes. Catches a ton of perch,gills and walleye as well

Offline BigSam007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Thank you very much guys for your help! I know very well that spoon and jigging raps works very well for perch but the issue is that the area I fish is full of pike and I'm worried that I'll catch pike with those.

Offline BigSam007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2017, 02:51 PM »
I would also like to add something.  Above I said I will be using an ultralight rod but since nothing has been bought I want your opinion on this. Should I use a 22in ultralight rod or a 26in light action rod. In both cases I'm probably going towards St Croix avid ice rods.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:06 PM »
I would also like to add something.  Above I said I will be using an ultralight rod but since nothing has been bought I want your opinion on this. Should I use a 22in ultralight rod or a 26in light action rod. In both cases I'm probably going towards St Croix avid ice rods.

I fish mainly in a shanty in less than 20' of water so the shorter UL would be my first choice for pannies using lightweight jigs, although I prefer 25". Are you planning on using a bobber of some sort? Line watching? 

Offline BigSam007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:22 PM »
I rarely fish from a shanty since I usually set tip up and downs for pike and/or walleye so the length of the rod isn't a problem with me. I don't plan on using a bobber or dead sticking bait because of my tip down who are mainly set up with small minnows for perch. My goal with the jigging rod is to use jigs and small plactic bait.

I just looked around for rods and I settled on 3 different models and I would like your input on them.

1) St-Croix Avid Glass 26" Light
2) St-Croix Mojo Ice Rod 28" Ultralight
3) Fenwick Elite Tech Ice 25" Ultralight

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2017, 07:20 PM »
The Fenwick Elite Tech is the only one on your list that I have experience with and it's a rod I really like - it's got some backbone and a soft enough tip in that UL action to work with lighter line and jigs.  Check Amazon for prices - last I looked the cost was pretty reasonable.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2017, 08:17 PM »
The TUCR Inferno series might interest you.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline BigSam007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2017, 08:56 PM »
The TUCR rod looks nice but on Cabelas.com only one there is a 32" med-heavy....
If the Fenwick Ice Rod is as good as their open water rods it'll be a keeper!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:50 AM »
First off, I also use 3mm Fiskas for bluegill and on occasion, 4mm for perch and specks. They are a high quality, super sharp jig. But being small and even though they are tungsten, it takes awhile to get down the water column. I even swore off swivels and split shots earlier this season...but Iv'e changed my mind...especially when fishing in water over 15' when getting back down quick before the school moves. So Iv'e gone back to a small, quality swivel about 2' up. But instead of a split shot, I use tungsten beads above the swivel. They are much smaller and fish heavier than they're lead counterparts, as you would probably guess. And the added "hardware" has actually increased my catch rate...faster down;faster up. jmo.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2019, 06:52 PM »
Nothing works all the time and everything works some of the time.  So IMHO you need to experiment with baits for where you fish.  Rods are more complicated. I have not fished the high end rods like DH Custom, TUCR etc. I would love to.  But my UL and Noodle rods seem pretty darn sensitive.  But I would love to fish a TUCR bullwhip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.