The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Keep your gear close  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Keep your gear close
« on: Feb 17, 2024, 06:45 PM »
We fished Little Sebago today. Later in the day while checking our traps we saw a gentleman walking out to where we had our gear on shore and just stood there. Did not even think about it, but when he saw that we noticed him, he then walked back into the wooded area and we though he left. We had more flags and happen to look back and saw him standing behind a big tree, which was right next to where we set up.

We started to walk back and he walked away again. Then we all got flags and we saw him behind another tree further down, so we dropped what we were doing and came running in for our gear and he ran off.

We pulled our gear out towards where we were and we did not see him again. I won't say he was trying to steal our stuff, but he sure acted like that's what he was up to.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
Re: Keep your gear close
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2024, 07:11 PM »
When hunting or ice fishing I always lock my truck and truck bed cap door.  Haul my sled with all gear out onto the ice with me, society has changed and you can't trust your gear unprotected anymore.
Sad but true, even within sight people will blatantly steal your gear these days!  Glad to hear you didn't lose any of yours.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2024, 07:21 PM »
That is a bit odd and it makes you wonder what he was up to .
I fished there last Sunday and there was a big pressure ridge that was to the left of the launch that went across to the point. There was open water so I couldn’t get around it on my sled. Looked sketchy and I caught zero fish. 🥶

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2024, 07:25 PM »
Fentanyl is a hell of a drug…little sebago…..he’s probably trying to steal your crap but is too ****censored word****ed up to be sneaky or have much awareness. And I know this is all conjecture.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2024, 04:46 AM »
All my gear is on the ice with me. My old plow truck I drive for fishing is left empty and unlocked. I don't want anyone breaking glass to find out there is absolutely nothing in there.
 Sounds like you have a gear stalker.  Release the hounds! >:(
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2024, 12:08 PM »
sounds like a good day fishing watch out that might be 1 of those cops in green
in god we trust

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2024, 12:31 PM »
Not Sebago, just general info. Boat landings/ice access areas are always targets. I've had gas siphoned outta the truck while I was out. Had a buddy that had his boat trailer stolen while he was fishing. No limit to the kinds of foolishness that can happen when you ain't lookin'... Secure EVERYTHING!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2024, 01:54 PM »
Wasn't there a problem with catalytic converters being sawed off at the Presumscot access parking area?

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2024, 02:48 PM »
Come on now, he was just tryna see what you where using for bait and how deep to get all those flags. Or maybe ole woodchip peeping in on you in his honeyhole.  @)

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2024, 05:13 PM »
Come on now, he was just tryna see what you where using for bait and how deep to get all those flags. Or maybe ole woodchip peeping in on you in his honeyhole.  @)
             His honeyhole isn't in that part of the lake.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2024, 08:24 AM »
When hunting or ice fishing I always lock my truck and truck bed cap door.  Haul my sled with all gear out onto the ice with me, society has changed and you can't trust your gear unprotected anymore.
Sad but true, even within sight people will blatantly steal your gear these days!  Glad to hear you didn't lose any of yours.

Unfortunately and Thanks

We had set up towards the middle, but the wind came up strong, so we moved were we were sitting towards shore taking our gear with us. We were getting lots of flags so we were running back and forth and at times all 4 of us were out at our traps which he must have seen to make us easy prey.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2024, 08:28 AM »
That is a bit odd and it makes you wonder what he was up to .
I fished there last Sunday and there was a big pressure ridge that was to the left of the launch that went across to the point. There was open water so I couldn’t get around it on my sled. Looked sketchy and I caught zero fish. 🥶

The big pressure ridge is still there and why we walked out.

There was a couple people that walked out and went across to the other side and I did not see any machines out there

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2024, 08:33 AM »
sounds like a good day fishing watch out that might be 1 of those cops in green

We did have a Good day flag wise and caught a few fish, but had tons of hit and runs.

Possible, but not sure why he literary RAN when 2 of us came in running for our gear

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2024, 08:39 AM »

No need, when others saw we were getting flags, we had a couple people drilled next to as well as right on top of us. :( ...and would would of shared our spot with woodchip :)

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2024, 11:56 AM »
the joys of fishing a derby
in god we trust

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2024, 12:44 PM »
We signed up for derby but to cold and windy, Wish fisherman would save all perch they catch for Eagles and fillets, they then would then get bigger slabs  My longerest one this year was 12" My fillets kept very good in freezer for later fries  mostly Cakes.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2024, 02:56 PM »
the joys of fishing a derby

YEP, plus it was Free Fishing weekend and some of the folks were from out of state. Did they get to fish for Free?

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2024, 06:23 PM »
ya they fish free as well
in god we trust

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.