The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: State laws are giving me a reason to Quit fishing  (Read 3958 times)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
State laws are giving me a reason to Quit fishing
« on: Jan 29, 2024, 03:54 PM »
Laws  like if you catch a Brown trout over 25" you must throw him back.  The reason i quit fishing for Strip Bass was i saw a young fellow catch a striper too long he had to throw him back!!It was a nice big fish. the state put a limit on white perch in Sabattus lake because residents from Lewiston were taking home too many too eat . With all the high Mercury in Sabattus let take all they want it would be a big benefit  to the lake.

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
Re: State laws are giving me a reason to Quit fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2024, 04:15 PM »
In a way I'm glad you mentioned about the 25" maximum size, cause I did not know that.   I just looked at the latest rule book and it also applies to salmon.  25" max size in brooks, rivers and streams for salmon and brown trout.   

Uggh, wonder that will accomplish?   A once in a lifetime catch and you have to throw it back?  A fish that size will put up a long fight and probably wouldn't survive when released unless you are pro at catch and release technique.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2024, 04:20 PM »
The 25" rule is meant to protect Atlantic Salmon.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2024, 05:26 PM »
The intention is to protect wild Atlantic salmon. Considering some browns do look like Atlantics that’s why we have this law.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2024, 06:32 PM »
There they go protecting the resources again. That over 25" rule has been around what, 20 plus years.  Im guessing there are very few 25 inch browns swimming in around in rivers and even less getting caught.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2024, 07:25 PM »
I could see the 25" limit for browns and salmon on rivers like the Penobscot and Kennebec and primary tribs like the Sandy where returning Atlantics have been seen. But across the entire state seems a bit much.

Offline FishinIsLife

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2024, 07:41 AM »
This isn't a new rule. Still have a digital rule book from 2021 on my phone that I checked.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2024, 07:45 AM »
New  law they will be making ,when your fishing and you have a hook on your line youll be subject to fine if caught.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:38 AM »
New  law they will be making ,when your fishing and you have a hook on your line youll be subject to fine if caught.
Yeah, Maybe when you're in assisted living and think you're on Sebago catching whitefish.... Maybe you'll have one of those kiddy poles with a magnet and rubber fish!!! In Summer they might give you a little swimming pool to wade in too!!! MAYBE even a widdle boat too and some widdle duckies! hehehe   ::) :woot: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:53 AM »
White fish would be back in Sebago if the PH was up where it use to be,  Same as moosehead and Caribou Chesuncook, I use to jig white fish in sebago, Caribou,Chesuncook,All the extra Phosferus  running into the water shed along with acid rain  droped down PH State likes blaming togue in sebago , But Moosehead and Caribou had them both 50 years before,

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2024, 09:21 AM »
White fish would be back in Sebago if the PH was up where it use to be,  Same as moosehead and Caribou Chesuncook, I use to jig white fish in sebago, Caribou,Chesuncook,All the extra Phosferus  running into the water shed along with acid rain  droped down PH State likes blaming togue in sebago , But Moosehead and Caribou had them both 50 years before,
Give your gear to a young family just starting out and be done with it. PH aint got S**T to do with the whitefish disappearance. It is well know that smelts are the problem. They eat whitefish eggs and fry. Thats it, now go dump your wood stove ashes in your farm pond.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2024, 10:26 AM »
Smelt are a large factor in whitefish declines and disappearance, AND so is PH in many places. PH effects not only fish eggs but, at least as detrimental, is the decline in insect and larvae gestation and survival. Fry need food.. in the absence of aquatic insects, at all stages, starvation is an issue. Pollution of various varieties contribute to habitat and species decline and loss. Streams and rivers are some of the worst effected... Then, Sebasticook used to be an excellent cold water species habitat with a solid salmon and smelt fishery. Humans killed it for them....
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2024, 12:13 PM »
U ain’t gonna catch a brown that big anyway. No sense in worrying bout it.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:16 PM »
C'mon, Nick.  If you are old, grumpy, hold your mouth the right way, don't waste too much time on the ice, and avoid S-33 waters, you might have a shot.  It's a long "to do" list, but you never know;D

U ain’t gonna catch a brown that big anyway. No sense in worrying bout it.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:18 PM »
C'mon, Nick.  If you are old, grumpy, hold your mouth the right way, don't waste too much time on the ice, and avoid S-33 waters, you might have a shot.  It's a long "to do" list, but you never know;D

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice hook jaw on that first brown Jim  ;D

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:26 PM »
Thanks, Nick.  I have to say that the chances for big browns have gone waaaaay down.  10-12 years ago the odds were way better.  There may be some hope on the horizon.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:36 PM »
Nice browns thanks for posting

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:57 PM »
Thanks, Nick.  I have to say that the chances for big browns have gone waaaaay down.  10-12 years ago the odds were way better.  There may be some hope on the horizon.
My biggest two browns were a 21 n 22” back to back 11 years ago with a rod n reel. Doubt I’ll ever break that again unless it’s a fish thru the ice.

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2024, 10:33 PM »
I’ve traveled x country for 3 yrs. just to fish Maine. I really feel sorry for you guys. The whole fishery fresh and salt has been euthanized. I can travel 3 hrs. catch & keep all the striper & walleye I care to fillet w/ no size limit.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2024, 07:58 AM »
in Maine if you catch a big striper or a big Brown and its the biggest one youve ever caught and its over 25" tHE SCREWED UP sTATE SAYS YOU HAVE TO  THROW IT BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bECAUSE THEY dON'T WANT TO ADDRESS REAL PROBLEM PH.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2024, 08:10 AM »
Its amazing to me how Mainers can consistently score an F on the subject of reading comprehension  :wacko:

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2024, 09:46 AM »
in Maine if you catch a big striper or a big Brown and its the biggest one youve ever caught and its over 25" tHE SCREWED UP sTATE SAYS YOU HAVE TO  THROW IT BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bECAUSE THEY dON'T WANT TO ADDRESS REAL PROBLEM PH.
Lmao. Put the bottle down woody. No reason to be belligerent

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2024, 10:25 AM »
I’ve traveled x country for 3 yrs. just to fish Maine. I really feel sorry for you guys. The whole fishery fresh and salt has been euthanized. I can travel 3 hrs. catch & keep all the striper & walleye I care to fillet w/ no size limit.

Huh? We don’t have any walleye in Maine. Wonder why the striper stock is plummeting again? Oh yeah just look at your pictures.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2024, 01:22 PM »

We’re bout as far north as the stripers get. You’re part of the reason why there’s no fish left.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2024, 02:01 PM »
We’re bout as far north as the stripers get. You’re part of the reason why there’s no fish left.

Someone who is following the law isn't hurting the fish population it's asshats that don't follow laws
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2024, 02:23 PM »
Someone who is following the law isn't hurting the fish population it's asshats that don't follow laws
Yeah and you probably believe the government is there to help you

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2024, 02:30 PM »
Yeah and you probably believe the government is there to help you

You probably smoke crack if you think people following the regulations set are hurting the fish population. I ice fished 52 days straight same exact spot winter of 2020 limited out everyday then fished another 36 days open water also limiting out everyday and guess what fishing is still just as hot 4 years later
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2024, 02:43 PM »
You probably smoke crack if you think people following the regulations set are hurting the fish population. I ice fished 52 days straight same exact spot winter of 2020 limited out everyday then fished another 36 days open water also limiting out everyday and guess what fishing is still just as hot 4 years later

I think keeping 5 short Stripers is the problem not you limiting out on perch.

As far as 25” Browns I have caught a few over that . I have no problem releasing them . I do t like eating trout or salmon that old . Too many toxins in them.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2024, 02:56 PM »
One day your streak will end.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2024, 03:28 PM »
One day your streak will end.

Doubtful when no one else is catching fish we are still catching our limts

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.