The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Catching salmon  (Read 2985 times)

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: Catching salmon
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2024, 02:04 PM »
Nbourque, Thanks for the info.  I figured average would be a lot bigger.  But being from Pa. had no clue. I know some would be larger.  Just curious is there walleye in any lakes in Maine? Or is that swearing in Maine? LOL!  I talked to some of the guys when I was there and they didn't seem to know much about walleyes.  Or maybe there is just not that much interest in them. Not native.  Or really none to be had.  Different areas of the country prefer different fish.
No walleye here in Maine

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 13, 2024, 02:50 PM »
walleyes like Crappies,and Yellow perch are better eating than all cold water fish, Once they figure it out theyll  be everywhere from Belgrade out,

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2024, 05:37 PM »
Just trying to help, perhaps read my posts again paying attention to what's in them and not adding things I didn't say.  Bait is not necessary nor will it make any difference on the jig.  You have to know where the salmon are in the water column.  See you in salmon alley, perhaps you learn better in person.
I was referring to something else someone also said.  Amazing, you have to know where the fish are to catch them.  Maybe it's not intentional, but you're even degrading when trying to help "perhaps you learn better in person" Whatever, was just trying to help someone else with techniques I've been using for 35 years.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2024, 03:51 PM »
No walleye here in Maine
Believe it or not every once in a Blue Moon Walleyes are caught out of Long Pond in Belgrade/Mt Vernon/Rome area.
Walleyes show up in MDIFW seine net surveys in the fall each year in this lake, rumor is that MDIFW stocked them back in the early 1970's but then discontinued shortly thereafter. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2024, 04:03 PM »
Nbourque, Thanks for the info.  I figured average would be a lot bigger.  But being from Pa. had no clue. I know some would be larger.  Just curious is there walleye in any lakes in Maine? Or is that swearing in Maine? LOL!  I talked to some of the guys when I was there and they didn't seem to know much about walleyes.  Or maybe there is just not that much interest in them. Not native.  Or really none to be had.  Different areas of the country prefer different fish.
I just saw you live in PA. Some good landlocked salmon fishing in The Finger Lakes. There are a number of charter guys that do well there! Here's just one. My brother lives down that way and may know folks too... Here's just one of many.... https://hardersfishingcharters.com
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2024, 08:03 PM »
No walleye here in Maine
Believe it or not every once in a Blue Moon Walleyes are caught out of Long Pond in Belgrade/Mt Vernon/Rome area.
Walleyes show up in MDIFW seine net surveys in the fall each year in this lake, rumor is that MDIFW stocked them back in the early 1970's but then discontinued shortly thereafter.

I read the same thing somewhere. They were Stocked in quite a few lakes at some point in the 70s and 80s. For some reason the growth or returns were bad and they discontinued stocking. Probably a few wild fish swimming around somewhere. The state record is something like 3lbs so if you do find some walleye you may get a record breaker.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #36 on: Feb 19, 2024, 05:40 PM »
My salmon catch improved by using smaller bait for salmon through the ice. I switched to using cup bait with size 14 Mustad treble hooks. 6 pound test mono for a leader. Hope this helps. @)
Master Laker taker.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #37 on: Feb 20, 2024, 09:27 AM »
I have a friend who routinely caught walleye in the spring in the Belgrades in recent years.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2024, 02:22 PM »
I have a friend who routinely caught walleye in the spring in the Belgrades in recent years.

That’s pretty intriguing, not sure I’d go just for the walleye but a pike or mixed bag would make it a good time. Would love to see a picture of said walleye.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #39 on: Feb 20, 2024, 02:29 PM »
Me too.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #40 on: Feb 20, 2024, 03:23 PM »
I would also.  Guy is legit though.  He's not around here anymore.  He moved to the Pacific NW to chase salmon and steelies.  I thought enough of his account to poke around  bit at "his spot", plus chased a few other rumored locations.  No dice.

Would love to see a picture of said walleye.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2024, 06:37 AM »
I would also.  Guy is legit though.  He's not around here anymore.  He moved to the Pacific NW to chase salmon and steelies.  I thought enough of his account to poke around  bit at "his spot", plus chased a few other rumored locations.  No dice.

Very cool you’ve tried to catch one of those golden gooses. Please let us know (don’t need to know where) if you hook into one.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2024, 06:50 AM »
Very cool you’ve tried to catch one of those golden gooses. Please let us know (don’t need to know where) if you hook into one.
If anyone can catch one it’s Jim 😬

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.