New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Spring edibles foraging  (Read 730 times)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Spring edibles foraging
« on: Jun 06, 2021, 06:13 AM »
When ice season ends I turn my attention to foraging. This was another great year for the ramps here in southeast NY, took about 25 pounds, eating all we could stand an selling about half of them.

From May 20 through June 5, we harvested every 3 days a huge flush of terrific golden oyster mushrooms, and could not even reach them all. Ate more than I should have and also put a bunch in the freezer for use throughout the year.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Spring edibles foraging
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2021, 06:19 PM »
I estimate we took easily 40 pounds of golden oysters, I am still sauteeing them, eating some now and freezing some. We could not even reach I'd say 30 pounds that were too high in the tree, but we got to witness these high ones do a massive spore dump - you could see what looked like smoke pouring out of them and that will seed the area for the future to get more when the conditions are right.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2021, 07:07 PM »
This thread is now advanced to fall foraging season - that for me is all about fall mushrooms. My GF and I are monitoring a couple of oak trees that each have 6 hen-of-the-woods growing at their base, that we confirmed on 9/18. We are letting them grow and will harvest them in a few more days when they get to a few pounds each. We had a lot of rain in August which is benefitting mushroom growth now. This is going to be a very good fall mushroom season here in SE NY.

There is another flush of golden oysters starting on the same logs that we got them in June.  ;)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2021, 07:17 PM »
Don't give up on me guys !  ::) I know this site is for ice fishing, and that was my first love and will always be more important than the other things I talk about on here. There is nothing I enjoy eating more than deep-fried crappie and perch, the same day they are pulled through holes in the ice. Let the countdown to ice begin. I am hoping I am just 80 days away from ice fishing somewhere that I have been before.  :-\

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2021, 07:40 PM »
A friend took me foraging for mushrooms for my first time this weekend, and we harvested a bunch of saffron caps and boletes that (a) I mixed with scrambled eggs on Sunday and (b) my wife worked into a stir fry last night.

They were surprisingly good.

My buddy is supposed to take my older daughter and I on another expedition in a couple weeks for two other varieties of mushroom.

So I'm slowly adding to my repertoire of free food (my favorite kind).

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2021, 08:05 PM »
bogtrotter, that is awesome. Boletes and saffron caps are missing from my repertoire, but I am hoping to add them soon. For now, I consider myself still a novice, but that is OK because the best eating mushrooms are also the easiest to identify. I have eaten hen-of-the-woods, chicken-of-the-woods, golden oyster, white oyster, late fall oyster, morel and several species of puffball. Hens and oysters are my 2 favorite eating.  ;D

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2021, 09:33 PM »
shaggy manes here like crazy,  a sign ice is soon to come!!!

Offline Frogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2021, 08:39 AM »
I hope you are right but I was just swimming and snorkeling in "our" lake in central NY the last 4 days and the water tamp was 70.5 degree's - hahaha.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2021, 09:34 AM »
We took 28 pounds of hen-of-the-woods aka maitake mushroom yesterday and a couple of pounds of golden oysters. We located them 1 week ago and just needed to wait for them to get bigger. Sold some to my local restaurant owner friend for 10 dollars a pound, netting us 85 dollars. Am giving away some also to friends. Left about 10 smaller hens behind to keep growing and will be taking these next weekend.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2021, 04:36 PM »
The same friend who took me mushrooming for the first time last weekend took my older daughter (who has a better knack for it) and I again today.

First, he brought us to a grove that had some hen of the woods.  The grove was pretty picked over,  but we still found a few - - at least enough for a taste.

Then he took us a bit further afield, where we found a bumper crop of lions mane.

Finally, he led us to a spot closer to home, where we harvested some water cress.

Along the way, we stopped at one of those "free" tagsales (where someone puts a pile of stuff that they're trying to get rid of on their lawn with a "free" sign next to it) and my daughter made off with a corner bookshelf (LOL!), so today yielded a good haul in more ways than one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.