Author Topic: honey hole: Hunt for trophy panfish  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Bygone

• IceShanty Rookie
honey hole: Hunt for trophy panfish
« on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:31 AM »
This post may not get much feedback as most anglers don't take well to sharing personal hot spots but I figure it's worth a try.

I have never caught a fish that I deemed 'trohpy worthy' enough to get mounted. For the last few years my goal has been to land a trophy level perch or bluegill, I'm talking 2#plus. I don't even know if I believe fish like this even exist, current state records show bluegill: 2lb 7oz, and perch 2lb 11oz, which is surreal to me.

So far this season I have fished Pineview and Mantua as they are the lakes I am most familiar with. Numbers have been good but none worth phoning home over. A lot of places to still explore and never enough time on the ice.

So my question is, when you guys are out for big pannies what body of water would you go to? I am willing to put in the time spot hunting but any sense of direction would be amazing.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.
 :tipup:  Tight Lines  :tipup:

Offline Griffon

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: honey hole: Hunt for trophy panfish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Pelican Lake near Vernal has been good for 10 inch + bluegills.  Have not been there this year though.

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Biggest perch I have ever caught came out of Yuba of few years back! If I was looking to catch big perch I would head to Cascade in Idaho. Bluegill I have no clue, I never target Gills they are usually by-catch for me, not a target fish. Good luck!

Offline FISHAMANIAC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:35 AM »
Both Mantua and Pineview have the potential to give a guy a trophy panfish! I've seen perch on my camera in Mantua that were 16 plus inches that would crush the state record if you could coax them into biting! Pineview is starting to kick out sum slab crappie this winter its been 5 years according to my logs that the crappie were of this caliber..Caught this  one last Saturday was 14in 1lb 9oz

Offline Bygone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Very nice crappie, I haven't been able to get any hooked up this year yet. Was able to make it out to pineview both Friday evening as well as Saturday morning. Evening time was rough, tons of marked fish but couldn't get them to even bump my lures, the gf was able to pull 1 small perch up so we didn't get completely skunked.

Saturday went well, caught 2 perch just over 10" and two more right at 11", the biggest weighing in right at 11oz.

I think I am cursed when it comes to Mantua, I love going up there but it has to be on a day I'm willing not not catch any fish because that is more common than not. Have yet to try the north most end of the lake so that may be the ticket.

Offline Utahguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:29 AM »
After looking at these guys cascade photos it sounds like you that is the place you need to make a trip too..
Still learning...

Offline Bygone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:11 PM »
ha yeah I was actually just looking at them with a dropped jaw. Had considered a trip up there sometime this winter but doesn't look like that's going to happen. Plus, somebody has to stay loyal to the local waters  @)

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Hey I was one a the guys that went to Cascade and it was a blast I have never been there and to see them big perch come out of the ice was way neat I my self was waiting for a perch over 15" to put it on the wall but my biggest was 14.5 and it weighed 2lb and so for my suggestion would be to make a trip to Cascade Idaho for a pig of a perch.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:57 AM »
I would bet Deer Creek has just what you’re looking for. Do your homework with maps, past threads and news articles and I think you will be rewarded. Not fast Fishing like Mantua and the View, but the habitat is right for wandering trophies in my opinion. Bring a camera to Mantua and I guarantee you will never see a skunk again. Good luck!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:05 AM »
Oops! I forgot that you guys are having a heat wave. Most likely open water at Deer Creek. How about East Canyon for Crappie? Echo can produce big Perch.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Yep heat wave is right, ice is not looking good near by but that should be changing tomorrow hopefully. As for gettting a big perch or crappie locally I would say Echo, rockport or starvation for a big perch. I have seen some dandys come out of each. Big crappie would have to be the view or holmes creek. I've 16in+ come out both places
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:03 AM »
My biggest ever perch in Utah (2 of them at 13" each) came out of Starvation from my boat.  One came from anchor looking for them and the other came from trolling for walleye.  If you really want big uns, Cascade is THE place to go and February is the TIME to go for the biggest (weight wise).
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.