The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Preference  (Read 21176 times)

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
Re:Auger Preference
« Reply #30 on: Dec 26, 2003, 08:46 AM »
That's cool JackSmelt,   That's what i got too, the Eskimo 10" Shark rulez!! ;D.  I got mine two years ago and it's a brute.  Very sturdy and fast cutting.  That chain saw engine was what sold me on it. I'm thinking about getting a smaller blade for it eventually though,  like a 7"-8" when i go out stricty for panfish.  It will lighten the load on those eighty hole days  :'( :'( :'(              J.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 26, 2003, 09:54 PM »
Jiffy Model 30 Legend (3 HP)!  I love it, cuts easy and I haul it in an otter sled so weight is not a problem.  One thing though...............D O NOT BUY ONE FROM REEDS!  I discussed my experience in a previous thread (last year).  If anyone wants more info, send me a private message and I will elaborate.

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2003, 09:24 AM »
i have an old eskimo powerhead customized for more power ;), mated with a 7" jiffy auger bit, the whole thing cuts better than most 3 hp augers

hand auger is 4" & 6" nils master

fishinnutinwis

« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2003, 09:34 AM »
had first jiffy-model 30 3hsp  for 16yrs..gear box wentout..and auger was out of shape-(what caused gears to fail) so instead of buying parts to fix i bought new legend-3o 3hsp ...old motor runs awesome still-going to sell on ebay probably get 100 bucks for it

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2004, 09:38 PM »
 Winner of three consecutive  world speed championships.    www.jiffyonice.com  

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2004, 10:18 PM »
I have a mora hand auger for early ice... for the thicker ice I have a strikemaster and love it.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2004, 03:09 AM »
Iv'e had a strike master since 1985,it was a 10"er because my cousin said to get one. Went through some good years and some bad years.Some times the blades where sharp and the other times they weren't.But when i put that 8 " Lazer auger on it in 1999 i wish i would of had a 8" 15 years before that. No body I repeat no body needs a 10" auger. And if you compare the two there night and day when it come's to drilling a hole. The only time you want a ten inch hole is when your drilling a hole in a permanent shack for a starter hole. Believe me. Plus you will give your auger head about 5 years more use in the long run....
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2004, 04:40 AM »
Seen a huge laketrout that wouldn't go thru a 8 inch hole. When I fish that lake now I drill 3 holes in a row or sometimes in a triangle. That way the big one won't be lost if I ever happen to catch him again. Estimated to be 50plus lbs. I would have let him go but the camera was ready to go for the pic of a lifetime.
I like my strikemaster (same motor as Jiffy) I like the geared down ratio but most of all I like the interchangeable sizes. I have a 6 & 8 inch auger and only one power head. I could buy a 4 and 10 inch if I felt I would use them and not have to buy the power head.

Offline gone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2004, 09:08 AM »
eskimo rules

Offline icedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2004, 10:24 AM »
i have a strike master 2hp,a 3hp jiffy both work great. strike master is nice and light weight,jiffy is durable as hek and great for thick ice, both are 8 inch.                    

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2004, 10:52 AM »
Eskimo Baraccuda runs great! Heavy like a mother though.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2004, 11:15 AM »
I have drilled to many holes with a hand auger through a foot if ice. I drill 5 holes for me and another 5 for my girlfriend and if we move it's another 10 and on a typical day I drill 40+ holes so last year I bought the eskimo 2hp 8inch power auger and now I use it even if it's just to drill through 4 inches of ice and will never hand drill holes again. ;D
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:40 AM »
i hear ya GB Mark ! me, 3 kids, some friends, 5 trap limit, lotsa holes!! same 8" eskimo 2hp bought it in 88 when my first kid was born!still going strong !!  happy holing  ::) :'( :'(

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2004, 12:05 PM »
Well....I have had the oppertunity to try my new Nils power auger a few times and I can say I've never seen anything like it. I've used the hand version before and I've liked it, but this power unit is insane. I've been ice fishing for 27+ years and I've never seen an auger cut like this. I was actually drilling holes for the fun of it. The 12" of ice I was cutting almost seemed too thin for it. 8" hole through 12" of ice in under 4 seconds.

The weight is awesome too. I went from a 3hp Jiffy style auger to this and I'll never go back. You really have to see it to believe it.

Bob

grumpymoe

« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2004, 01:39 PM »
esox  thanks for the heads up. i'll have to check it out. grump :'(

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2004, 03:29 PM »
I have used Jiffys, strikemasters(lazer), Eskimo, and recently tried a nils master.
I did preferred the Strikemaster as I could change auger. I had no problems with it. Even after 6 months per year of drilling 400-500 holes per week. 75-120 holes per day average. I drill 30 holes then fish for an hour or 2 then move on if no fish. Drill another 30...Up to 42 inches of ice. Also liked the weight.
As ice fishermen we must accept change. Imagine if we never progressed past a plain hook and line.
I drilled a day with the nils master last week and it is the future of drilling. Wow, it is now on my wish list.
Don't compare things unless you have tried them both or all ;)

Offline suckerbreath

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2004, 09:38 PM »
I've had real good luck with my 10" StrikeMaster.
It's been used a lot over the last 7 years and has never let me down.

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2004, 08:22 AM »
Eskimo Ice Augers are for people with more brains than money! They are built just as tough as jiffy's cost $90 bucks less and share the same engines! The gear box is heavy duty and is built like a tank!. -No complaints with my Baracuda Plus!
eskimo rules
People think we're crazy but we know better!

maine-ly backward

« Reply #48 on: Jan 26, 2004, 09:18 AM »
I just got my new Nils Master.. ;D ;D. So for now that's my vote. ;)

How's that Nils Master working out? I'm considering one. Have had Jiffys's for many years but I like the looks of the Nils Master. How much does it weigh?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Jan 26, 2004, 09:42 AM »
Eskimo Ice Augers are for people with more brains than money! They are built just as tough as jiffy's cost $90 bucks less and share the same engines! The gear box is heavy duty and is built like a tank!. -No complaints with my Baracuda Plus!
eskimo rules
my eskimo 2 hp  8" auger is now in it 's 17th year.this year i finally had to replace the auger bit itself,as my son broke it on a rock island barely under the surface of the ice. with a 17 year old motor and a new bit, it is like brand new again! ;D  if it ever wears out i wont even price another brand! im with you , sub zero ESKIMO RULES!!! :'(

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 26, 2004, 10:36 AM »
I have two Swede Bore hand augers. One is 6", another
takes 7" or 8" blades. The larger one is for ice less than
10", the smaller one for mid- and late winter. Normally I
drill 30-40 holes a day. They keep me fit  :).  Hope to
stay without power auger as long as I can.  

Offline quickflip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 26, 2004, 11:46 AM »
I just purchased a brand new Strikemaster Lazer Express 8".  I've used it on 3 outings so far.  I love its lite weight and it drills quickly.  However, the plastic choke lever broke off on my 2nd outing and last Saturday, the recoil pull start broke and the rope won't return to its starting position.  I have to choose between bringing it to my local Tecumseh repairer and wait for them to order the parts under warranty or send it under my own expense to Strikemaster.  Either way, I'm out my auger for at least 2 weeks since I'm not paying $90 to overnight it.

Strikemaster told me that the choke and recoil problem are both Tecumseh parts and I should complain to them.  That doesn't "sit well" with me since its Strikemaster's name that's on the auguer.  They also told me to not pull the cord a full arms length, i.e., I should only pull it 1/2 way.  I must say that the customer service people at Strikemaster have been helpful and very nice but I'm still out an auger for 2 weeks of the season!

Hope this helps.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #52 on: Jan 26, 2004, 11:59 AM »
Maine-ly Backward,
How's it working out???? The thing is freaking awesome! ;D The key is to let it warm up before drilling. At 23 pounds it's so nice to carry around. My old chipper was over 40 pounds, so the difference is amazing. It also cuts twice as fast. It's to the point that I don't mind drilling extra holes. We should have 2 feet of ice by the next time I go out, so I'll time how long it takes to cut it.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Jan 26, 2004, 02:02 PM »
quikflip , it doesnt sound like strikemaster has been very helpful  at all  they are certainly responsible for any probs,like you said it says strikemaster on that auger.stay on them you will find the right rep to help you

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #54 on: Jan 26, 2004, 03:06 PM »
Jiffy all the way. Just bought a 9" stealth and its awesome. This is not my first auger so I'm speaking from experience and not just B.S.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #55 on: Jan 26, 2004, 05:47 PM »
I'm with you all the way, Jigmaster. I have the 8" and dont care at all about the weight.  I'm not out there to have tea and crumpets! I got holes to drill and love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning.  Smells like......victory. 8)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:31 PM »
Have Jiffy 3hp with 10 inch auger that bought new in 1984 and still going strong. Change the plug every 10 years or so, drain the gas, pull the plug and squirt some oil in when done and stash in corner of garage. I was to the store today and happened to look at new ones and the sticker shock was horrid. My Beaver Dams were over twice what I paid for them back in 82 when they were still painted red or green. Ice fishing today is no cheap deal for somebody getting started who needs all the equipment but if you buy good stuff and take care of it you will have it for years to come. :D
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

nuke1neil

« Reply #57 on: Jan 26, 2004, 08:37 PM »
Same jiffy 3 1/2 hp for 23 yrs.Think I got my moneys worth!Guess what brand I'll buy if(when) I modernize.I started out with a hand-job many yrs ago.This gas -job has aided in catching fish many times.Mostly I go out with my 2 young kids(6-8 yrs).We need a minimum of 15 holes to get started with tip-ups and rods.If I had to drill that many by hand all at once I'd be shot for the rest of the day.I really like the fact of being able to cover a large area on a flat where the fish are feeding.I personally could not accomplish that witha hand auger.Some one who mostly jigs is perfectly well suited with a hand auger.To each his own!

fishguts.

« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2004, 10:14 PM »
ha you guys are living in the stone age!!!! i just go to the hardware store and buy a box of 50 holes and im good to go. and if you dont let them freeze you can reuse them.  ;D

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 27, 2004, 11:09 PM »
Maine-ly Backward,
How's it working out???? The thing is freaking awesome! ;D The key is to let it warm up before drilling. At 23 pounds it's so nice to carry around. My old chipper was over 40 pounds, so the difference is amazing. It also cuts twice as fast. It's to the point that I don't mind drilling extra holes. We should have 2 feet of ice by the next time I go out, so I'll time how long it takes to cut it.
How is the Nil Master as far as getting parts?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.