The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Power Auger  (Read 16299 times)

Tim Worner

Power Auger
« on: Oct 15, 2002, 09:55 AM »
What is the best power ice auger????

danny moore

Re: Power Auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2002, 12:04 PM »
I would have to say a jiffy, or an eskimo. they both cut fast and last many years.

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2002, 08:03 PM »
I would have to agree with Danny, Jiffy is the best out there. They has alway cut fast and most people dont have any problems with them.

Brother #3

TWM

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2002, 05:46 PM »
What model jiffy is best? The  2hp legend or the 3hp? I've heard the newer 3 hp ones have some carb problems?

dan moore

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2002, 10:59 AM »
go with the 2hp.

Whiskey Cal

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2002, 01:49 PM »
I've had my Jiffy 3 hp. 10inch, going on three years now,I run some stabilizer through it before storage, started it two week's ago runs as good as when I stored it. Don't have any experience with anything other brand. I imagine it is like anything else maintinence is important.

Fishing Fool's Live On.....

Scott Buckler

« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2003, 11:23 AM »
I have had an 8" Eskimo for 10 years now with the original never resharpened blades and it still cuts holes rapidly. The jiffys are good, but very loud and heavy. Stick with an 8" auger max. The 10" holes are dangerous. I have seen legs almost broken and many wet socks and boots from people  stepping in 10" auger holes.

1_Pappy

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2003, 12:12 AM »
I just bought an 8" Eskimo and it's identical to the Jiffy.  Every part is the same and it was about $50 less than the Jiffy. ;)

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2003, 05:24 AM »
Tim,
Just to add a little confusion for you I have a strike master lazer 2 hp and Im very happy with it..Its like any thing else --Personal preference.My buddy has a jiffy 2 hp I like it as well and it works well they all use tecumshe motor ,the gears and shafts are the only difference.sorry for makin things more complicated for you
                       REB

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2003, 10:17 AM »
Well since we're making things more confusing I've finally had a chance to use the Nils Master 8" Power Auger.
 Pros: It cuts a clean hole, it cuts fast, it's quiet(compared to other augers), runs smooth, the engine and controls are boxed in the handles for protection, runs on 50:1 mix, it can be converted to a hand auger(about two minutes) and is very light(17 lbs).
 Cons: Price ! It takes a good two minutes to warm up, it is very tall(I'm 6'1" and the handles are to my chin), the blades aren't replaceable and can't be resharpened - you have to buy a new head (about $40.00)but it should last for years. The only other thing I didn't like was the lack of carb. adjustment screws(hi/low) and no primer bulb. It starts in about 4 pulls when choked.
            This is only the third outing with this auger and the ice we're going thru is only about 7".
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2003, 01:42 PM »
I'm with Reb. Love my Lazer. It just seems to drill (not chip) effortlessly on its own with no weight applied other than the weight of the unit. Don't know if you can change auger sizes with Jiffy. I do with my Lazer. Don't know much about Nils but switching to hand auger would be nice. Buddy had an older Strikemaster which did us O.K. but 2 years ago moved up to Strikemaster Lazer. WOW, love it. Just my 2 cents.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2003, 10:23 PM »
I would recomend a strike master.  2 hp if you want to be portable.  I have hade mine for 20 yrs still starts good had a 10" augar and i picked up a 7" for it.  has been a faithful friend that when it does die will be replace by a lazer by strike master.
fishing is far better than fighting.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2003, 10:31 PM »
I forgot one other reason for the strike master. It turns slow so it will not break your wrist and you will not get soaking wet when the augar does break through.

fishfinder1

« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2003, 03:23 AM »
I have a Eskimo Barracuda and it does a fine job getting through the ice. Never had a problem with it at all.

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2003, 09:29 AM »
I bought a 2 year old Jiffy 3hp 10" for $150. works great. Gets a little heavy when doing a pile of holes. The de-icer blade works good for cleaning up the holes. I would like to get a 7" auger for it, but I don't know if Jiffy makes one or if they are interchangeable or not??

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2003, 03:48 PM »
I purchased a Jiffy Legend 3 hp for $339 at Kittery Trading Post.  Picked the 10" blade but may pick up a 8" at some time.  Buddy has a new 2 hp with 8 or 9" blade.  Both cut extremely well and run fine.  Weight is a consideration, the 3 hp isn't light.  The advantage?  The weight of the auger will drill the hole!   :D  I see a lot of OLD Jiffys on the ice...that's telling me something.  Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

1nunzio

« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2003, 04:12 PM »
I have the Strikemaster Lazer Mag Ultra. 2hp w/ 9" 3 blade drill. I'm not concerned with the lightest, nor the fastest. What sold me on this model was the 9" drill. I have stepped into, too many of the 10" holes and the 8" is too close with the ducer in it.
I think that they are all good. Every brand has it's faithful.  

RSQCAL

« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2003, 04:18 PM »
;) Got a 3hp jiffy with a 9" auger. Wouldn't trade it, never had a problem with it.     :'( :'( :'(

Offline darossman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jumping through my icehole!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2003, 04:27 PM »
In reference to augers I use a Strikemaster 9" Lazermag triple blade.  I have found this to be a very fast auger.  There are two types of augers.  One is the shaver and the other is a chipper.  They all do get through the ice.  I believe the "chippers" do the work faster.  I also think that if you use a shaver it is cheaper to get the blade(s) sharpened.  6 to one, half a dozen to the other.

Darossman    

tj52

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2003, 05:23 PM »
i bought a strikemaster 2000 mag about seven years ago and i still love it.  i have never had a hard time starting it and it is light.  the only draw back is it is some what slow it takes about 60 seconds to dill a hole threw 10 inches of ice but if it hits a slushpocket it won't break your arm.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2003, 05:14 AM »
Strikemaster is the way to go.  I got a great deal on an older Strikemaster and the thing just chews up the ice.  Best purchase I have made so far.  A friend has an older Jiffy and it weighs a ton.  

fishface

« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2003, 01:35 AM »
As for augers, I would just go with the lightest one you can find.......I mean I think they are all pretty good. I have this older model magnum made by osceola power and I don't think they even make them anymore but it has a tecumsuh engine and never any probs. It's only 49cc but it goes through the ice just fine. My brother has a jiffy which is a good machine of course but I'm only a small guy and that sucker is heavy. Mine only weighs about 24 lbs and his has to be almost twice as heavy. Who really cares if you go through the ice in 10 seconds instead of 8? Go light...you won't be sorry. :'(

dlee1000

« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2003, 04:49 AM »
I just bought a 10" Lazer. When I was looking at them, the saleman warned me against the models with the plastic handles. As I was walking out of the store with my new metal handled auger, a guy was bringing in a plastic handled model he had bought 2 days ago. He handle had snapped on him. Something to keep in mind.

Offline icedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2003, 04:18 PM »
i like the 3hp jiffy

ipunch2u

« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:13 PM »
Anyone have or heard of the Eskimo Barracuda Plus 3hp?

prairiedogdale

« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2003, 06:06 AM »
I bought a used 3 hp Eskimo Barracuda a month ago.  It's 3 years old but was only used once.  It doesn't say "plus" on it but I believe the plus is simply the extra 1 hp.  Barracuda =
2 hp, Barracuda plus = 3 hp.  I couldn't find any other difference.  

ppdale

ipunch2u

« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2003, 07:53 AM »
prairiedog .  What do you think? Do you like it?

prairiedogdale

« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2003, 02:39 AM »
ipunch2u,

No opinion yet.  I haven't been out yet this year.  Busy putting the finishing touches on the ice palace.  Maybe next w/end ;D

ppdale

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
Eskimo Maco auger
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2003, 07:11 AM »
Has anyone tried the new Eskimo Maco auger? I like the light weight, and the price seems right, too. Thanks!
Gregg

trapperdirk

« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2003, 08:20 PM »
Bought a 10'' 3hp jiffy 2 yrs ago.It has the deicer armour,with teflon head.Had to adjust the high speed jet a 1/4 turn. My only complaint is that, "jiffy, use some primer when you paint the drill".Cost was almost 600 canadian.I expect the paint not to flake off. Other than that its a good rig. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.