The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: ESKIMO VS JIFFY  (Read 15321 times)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
Re: ESKIMO VS JIFFY
« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:56 AM »
that video I made was the shark Z71....a 10" auger that can/will beat most 8" augers.....
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:52 AM »
i have to say that my legend xt 10" jiffy can beat that... i will try to shoot a video sometime and post it.
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:59 AM »
 :bow: ;D Why do people get caught up in the speed of holes drilled vs. others? There's too many other important factors that gas augers have besides how many seconds faster it is then another. Sure, one can be faster then another when it runs but that one can be a turd in every other factor behind the scenes ..... fussy carbs, hard starting, leaks, etc. Trying to figure out which of the new Chinese/German engines in all the popular brands is going to last longest is most important...... unfortunately. That's why I sold my fast gas auger for the slightly slower electric. On a point system, the electric wins 10-2.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I'll admit Jiffy wasnt my first choice, but I got mine 3 weeks old in a trade so thats what Ive got.

The only reason why Jiffy wasnt my first choice was the weight factor. That is it.

They have a solid rep for being long lasting augers, and Ive seen a bunch through the years to attest to that. Ive had my Mod 30 Jiffy 10" for 3 years and have only had one issue with it, the toggle switch. Sometimes it doesnt shut the auger off and you get lifted. LOL Other than that, its been real reliable for me.

Whatever you get, take extra care of it and it should take care of you. Common sense goes a long way.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:10 PM »
I'll admit Jiffy wasnt my first choice, but I got mine 3 weeks old in a trade so thats what Ive got.

The only reason why Jiffy wasnt my first choice was the weight factor. That is it.

They have a solid rep for being long lasting augers, and Ive seen a bunch through the years to attest to that. Ive had my Mod 30 Jiffy 10" for 3 years and have only had one issue with it, the toggle switch. Sometimes it doesnt shut the auger off and you get lifted. LOL Other than that, its been real reliable for me.

Whatever you get, take extra care of it and it should take care of you. Common sense goes a long way.
over the years i'v seen a ton of jiffy augers and have used 3 different jiffy augers and thats why i own 2 eskimo augers

surflizard

« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:33 AM »
I have the best of both worlds ! a 10" Eskimo Model 8600 Shark, it is primarily the Big water, Mid to late season, Thick ice Workhorse ! The 8" Jiffy Legend Lightning is the Early ice get em done and get fishing Speedster ! I love them both ! They both are Steel construction with the good old Reliable "American" Tecumseh Motors and with the amount of Proper Maintenance that I lavish on the both of them, They will outlast Me !  :thumbsup:

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #36 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:37 AM »
:bow: ;D Why do people get caught up in the speed of holes drilled vs. others? There's too many other important factors that gas augers have besides how many seconds faster it is then another. Sure, one can be faster then another when it runs but that one can be a turd in every other factor behind the scenes ..... fussy carbs, hard starting, leaks, etc. Trying to figure out which of the new Chinese/German engines in all the popular brands is going to last longest is most important...... unfortunately. That's why I sold my fast gas auger for the slightly slower electric. On a point system, the electric wins 10-2.
for me ! the speed is a bonus, i care more about reliability.in my 26 years on ice i'v personally used 3 different jiffy augers and all 3 were constantly in the shop.then 11 or 12 years ago i bought an ekimo shark.it still runs great and the only thing i'v ever had to replace was the blades with the original spark plug the thing still fires 2nd pull even in -0f. 2 guys i fish with have a hard time getting there strike masters fired in the AM and they don't like to stay running from hole to hole,another dude i fish with has the black and yellow jiffy and it is hard stating and he has had some problems with the clutches/gears.so thats why eskimo gets my vote

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Eskimo owner here.....love it! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline natedogg18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:50 PM »
I have a Jiffy and my old man has an Eskimo.  Both are great drills. Cant go wrong with either one. 

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:53 AM »
I have a old jiffy and I used an Eskimo I would say jiffy is the best built not much difference in speed or style basically was same minus minor set up options but quality is jiffy all the way
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline rokibass

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:52 AM »
I have had a Jiffy White Lightning for 7 or 8 years and never had a problem. Just changed the plug this year. It may not win a race but always starts and gets the job done. That's all I care about.

Offline burts122

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2011, 12:52 AM »
Well I found this website while researching augers before getting one last month.

Heres my thoughts. The Eskimo is a good solid unit - my friend has the 10 inch which cuts real nice. The store I purchased my Jiffy from told me that I'd be buying a carb kit every year for the Eskimo. I don't think thats a very fair statement either.

The reason I went with the Jiffy was the 85 CC engine. My chainsaw puts out 3.5hp off a 55 CC engine. MY jiffy auger with the tecumseh engine gets 3hp with the displacement coming from a bigger piston. For that reason I went with the Jiffy. The extra CC's should [hopefully] translate into a longer life by putting less stress on the engine. I am just of the belief that a auger puts a lot more strain on a engine than a chainsaw so it should have a bigger engine.

Its all personal preference. They will all do the same thing so I don't bash other units. The cool thing about the Jiffy though; when compared to my friends Eskimo is that it sounds like a small dirt bike ;D - its up to personal preference if that a good or bad thing though!

In the end though as long as your on the ice punching holes you won't be disappointed with most of the units on the market right now.
Cheers Guys.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:54 AM »
JIFFY POWER!!!!
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.