Author Topic: Whiteswan Lake 2020  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
Whiteswan Lake 2020
« on: Jan 01, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Hi everyone, i shall be coming over to Canada from the UK in the next 2 weeks, i just wanted to know what the fishing is like on Whiteswan lake. I hope to get a full week on the lake so i am hoping that the trout are taking the bait.
Please reply and give me a heads up.
Cheers.
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Whiteswan Lake 2020
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2020, 12:35 PM »
Well i managed 3 days on the lake and between 4 of us we only caught 1 lake trout. From other reports we did hear there was noone catching either. I am hoping to return next year with better success.
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2020, 01:34 PM »
how deep did you fish?

have a flasher there?

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2020, 03:31 PM »
how deep did you fish?

have a flasher there?
Hi there Canada, i just tried to add you as a buddy on here, not sure if it worked. We were fishing in 35 feet, no flasher or fish finder,(thats another story, you can pm me for more info which i would like).
I put a post in electronics about fish finders and flashers as i need info on them.
I am back in the UK now, this was the first time i have ever blanked (totally dissapointed).
Hit me up.
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline fishn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2020, 10:01 PM »
Sounds like you weren't deep enough. 75 -90 feet is more likely where they are at this time of yeqr

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2020, 02:02 PM »
From the people I know that live or have cabins and ice fish Whelan regularly, 60ft is the depth to be at - it's just been slow.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2020, 04:58 PM »
i have caught lots under 30fow all winter   maybe just a lucky spot

Offline dogfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2020, 12:03 PM »
I've never been to Whiteswan but headed that way later this month.  I'm guessing there's quite a bit of snow on the lake and I don't have the truck out there and no sled.  Can a guy park on shore and drag the sled out to a decent depth.  On google earth it looks like a good drop around 500m from the launch which I am willing to walk if it is worth it.  Laker fishing on the ice is some of the most exciting stuff and am hoping to even have one tear after my tube jig.

Thanks for any info.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2020, 01:58 PM »
You can park at the boat launch, it's always plowed for lots of room. Lots of shacks within 500 yds of the shore so wouldn't be an issue.

Offline dogfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2020, 04:28 PM »
Thanks alot Sandman

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2020, 07:49 PM »
Pretty sure buddy and me are heading up Saturday for the big snowmobile rally, then going to spend the night in his ice shack.

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2020, 08:28 PM »
Lakers are the highest on my bucket list, I haven’t had many opportunities to try for them yet. I have been to Whiteswan twice in the fall only to get chased off the lake by massive wind, waves and rain. I hope this year will be the year!

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2020, 08:58 PM »
I completely agree. There’s just something about those lakers isn’t there.... Went up north last spring for lakers and already planning another trip for this spring after seeding is done

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2020, 09:00 PM »
 i think lakers through the ice with a flasher is the only type of ice fishing that is still enjoyable when you don't hook up on any.  rockets!!

Offline dogfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2020, 08:18 AM »
I've been lucky enough to enjoy some extended times on Wollostan Lake in the winter.  It was a blast being able to move virtually anywhere and hook up large trout or large pike.  When multiple trout are on the flasher at once it really gets a guy pumped up.  However, those trips come few and far between now as more important responsibilities in life take precedence.  I'm hoping to get those "responsibilities" into the sport just as much as I am in it.

A little off topic but I'm heading out to Wekusko in April.  Anyone been up there before?  Any pointers or musts I should bring/do?  Be up there for 4 days of fishing so I'm hoping to fish multiple species with keys being lakers and walters.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2020, 03:20 PM »
I've been planning a trip to wekusko for near on 10 years but this is the year....i hope!  Planning to fish my way there and get to wekusko Apr 1 or 2 and stay for a week.  There's tonnes of good YouTube videos and it seems the owner Bryan is a stand up guy and very knowledgeable about that entire area.

Really hoping to snag a master walleye and that the burbot are still going.  Probably spend a day on athapap and a day on reed for Lakers too.  Can't wait  :tipup:

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2020, 09:07 PM »
I have gone to Naosap lake 4 times now, in the middle of April, it amazes me every time as we are planning our gardens down by Saskatoon, then I head up for a 4 day ice fishing trip and have to drill through 3’ of ice! Walleye fishing is great up there! We took a few day trips to wabishkok and they have Lakers there, I was jigging in 50’ of water tapping the bottom and hooked up on a nice big fish, thought I finally could knock the laker off my bucket list, but I pulled up a 7lb pike.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2020, 06:35 PM »
We fished Whelan for a couple hours today, after doing the big snowmobile rally yesterday. 2 trout landed saw lots on the flasher. Fishing 58 FOW. I would think if we put in a solid morning effort would have brought up a few more.

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Nice, what were the conditions like?
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:24 PM »
Was about -10C, not too windy. In the shack so weather not a huge factor.

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Is there anyone on here who have Cabin's up at Whitewsan?
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:22 PM »
We don't have a cabin there, but do own a camper that sits there year round in a seasonal spot. Been there the last 8 years.

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2020, 01:30 AM »
Ok, how often do you get there?
I am hoping that i return in 2021, depending on the availability and my work schedule, sometime between February and March.
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2020, 01:34 AM »
Does anyone know what happend to "SaskWatch", i have not seen him on here for over a year, i know that he has a cabin at whiteswan, i have lost the info for him, does anyone have info?
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline jignjim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:07 AM »
Does anyone know what happend to "SaskWatch", i have not seen him on here for over a year, i know that he has a cabin at whiteswan, i have lost the info for him, does anyone have info?
John
I work with him. I'll pass on the message!

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2020, 11:05 AM »
Thanks jignjim, i appreciate it.
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2020, 07:03 PM »
fished ws yesterday am

beautiful sunrise!!  1 pike right off the start   the lost a good trout  marked about 8 and kept 1 that was about 6lbs
slower action for trout but still lots fun!

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2020, 12:38 PM »
Nice, glad you managed to catch, better than i did when i was there.
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.