The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: How much ice?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline doughtdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LTD!
How much ice?
« on: Dec 17, 2005, 10:23 PM »
I was just wondering how much ice it would take for people to start venturing out on the hardwater... And also, how far from shore would you go on say 4 inches.... 6 inches etc...

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: How much ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2005, 11:28 PM »
if i have 4-6" in front of me ill keep right on goin ...keep cutting holes,,,keep measuring the ice.

Offline Got Flag?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:50 AM »
well last year cdc and I went out and when you dont have to even start the auger just pick it up and drop it about 1.5 feet up and it makes a nice hole then thats not enough to make you feel secure i can tell you that much..... ;D ;D ;D ;D
A Good day is a day you come home safe.....

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2005, 04:38 PM »
I went out yesterday, drilled one hole and heard the ice snap and belch as it dropped about an inch. Water was gushing up thru the hole and there was only about 3 inches of ice. I skeedaddled on out of there and decided to save my bait for Wednesday's outing with Cliff.
Scott Wright

Offline jackal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:47 PM »
We fish on 4-6 inches of clear blue ice in comfort, 4-6 of slush ice,that's nerve wracking. AL

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:04 PM »
I encountered some surprising ice conditions on a 20 acre or so size pond on the Andro/Kennebec line today.  Ice thicknesses varied quickly from 2.5 to 6" over short distances with no ryhme or reason.  When you broke thru the crust on over the thinner areas, it definitely got the heart started.  I have a buddy who is considerably bigger than me.  I always led the way (I wouldn't take anyone where I wouldn't go first), but he was probably pushing the envelope being out there.  My only guess about why the ice is on the if'y side is that even though the pond is small, it has a lot of 15 feet + water.  The fishing was slow at the start, but ended up OK late.  I iced 6 largemouths (mainly 2-3 LBS.) and 2 perch.  My buddy added a bass.  Traps beat jigging.

Jim C.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.