Author Topic: Cooking Trout  (Read 3610 times)

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
Cooking Trout
« on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:47 PM »
I have never ice fished before but want to start this winter.  The problem is I live in western Nebraska and alot of the good ice lies to my west in Colorado, and a lot of times Colorado = Trout.  I catch tons of walleye and love to eat fish in the summer, but have never been a big trout fan because of the bones.  What do you think is the easiest way to limit the number of little bones in the trout I hope to catch?  Can you just filet them once they get big enough, or is it always best to just cook them whole?  I guess I am just looking for any input on a bone free piece of trout (if there is such a thing).  Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am kind of ignorant to the trout thing (living in Nebraska and Texas will do that to a guy!).

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
Re: Cooking Trout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:24 AM »
yes.. boneless trout. however it takes a little work.

The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:34 AM »
You get to there, and your doing good.
Take your knife and lightly scrape the top of your fillets, from Tail to head, bout where all the ribs were.
And that'll raise the pin bones enough to see them.
Next get your needle nose pliers and start pulling, there should be like 30-33 pin bones to pull.
Once you get a rythm its pretty fast.
It does take a bit, however a fully boned trout fillet goes for bout 10$ a lb. which makes really worth it when you got 3-4 lb a fillets.
Well hope i helped ya. Good Luck
The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2006, 04:33 AM »
nice job w/ the pic instructions!  i've always just eaten em with the bones in since most of my trout are on the small side.  i just pick 'em out as i go.  as far as cooking 'em i just head and gut 'em, skin 'em, and put some lemon pepper and salt on. wrap 'em in foil and put it in the oven on about 325 for a while, don't remember how long.  pretty simple and i've always thought it was awesome!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2006, 09:35 AM »
Thanks . . .that may be the most helpfull advice/instructions I have ever gotten off of any forum.  I thought you could probably fillet them like that if they were big enough, but I wasn't sure, and it is the pin bones I have always wondered how to get out.  I really hate those things; guess I have just been spoiled eating too much walleye over the years.  Now I am excited to get out there and try to catch some bigger trout!

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2006, 11:07 AM »
Some of you have heard this recipe.

Clean the trout as you prefer.
Season to taste
Place fish on Piece of cedar shake or 1 X 4  cedar scrap
Place on grill
Throw away the fish and eat the board ;D

::) Actually I normally smoke the larger ones and Place the smaller ones in foil and bake or grill with you name it I've tried lots of things , my favorite is
 salt and pepper, squeeze of lemon , a tab of butter , close up double wrap of foil, Bake for 8 minutes around 350 , then carefully open the foil pouch, drizzle a little ranch dressing on top then place the oven on broil to brown the ranch on top about 3 minutes will do, and enjoy. maybe another squeeze of lemon.
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2006, 01:44 PM »
mmmm, that sounds good!  i love trout

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2006, 06:48 PM »
great post....I lost my needle nose down the hole lmao....what you can do is simply cut down along the pinbones with a very sharp filleting knife....do the same on the opposite side....end result is a very thin strip of bones begone!!!.....and one tasty morsel of trout fillet.....Grump

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2007, 09:30 PM »
I just cooked up some bows tonight for supper...they were about 14".  Cut off head and tail, gut them and then rinse them well.  Get a piece of foil.  Cut an onion,  lay the three largest slices on the foil.  Season the inside of the fish with rosemary and marjoram, stuff with left over onions.  Place fish on top of the onions on the foil.  Place 3 pats of butter on top of the fish.  Slice one orange and place the three largest slices on top of the fish.  Squeeze the juice from the leftover orange slices and pour on fish.  Seal up foil, place in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Enjoy.

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2007, 07:07 AM »
Becuase most of my trout have been brookies in the 12-14 inch range i usually clean them. put what ever seasonings i decide that day on them and wrap them tightly in tinfoil and cook on the grill turing it over after about 5 minutes on high. and then 5 on the other side. and by doing this when you go to eat it the meat has seperated from the bones.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.