Author Topic: Ion Alpha Ice auger  (Read 1998 times)

Offline bowl450

• IceShanty Rookie
Ion Alpha Ice auger
« on: Jan 12, 2024, 02:56 PM »
I'm looking to get a battery operated Ice Auger, is the Ion Alpha a good choice ?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ion Alpha Ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:02 PM »
You won't go wrong with that or the strikemaster 40v.  Eskimo has a new electric that looks good and is on a smoking deal at cabelas along with a free battery. 
[/url]https://www.cabelas.ca/product/175312/eskimo-e40-steel-ice-augers-with-bonus-battery[url]

Either way, you'll never regret going electric.

Offline bowl450

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:31 PM »
thank you

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2024, 10:20 PM »
Entirely depends on where you’ll be using your auger and how many holes you’ll plan on drilling.

If you’re someone that ventures out into very isolated/hard to reach places that are only accessible via snowmobile or atv, then an electric might not be the best option for you.

If you’re someone that plans on driving right to your spots with a truck where you can keep a battery warm and don’t plan on drilling a bunch of holes, then an electric auger would be a great choice.

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2024, 10:45 PM »
For the isolated areas I've heard that a small insulated lunch bag with hand warmers in it keeps the batteries toasty. I don't own an electric but I still use my old reliable gas Jiffy. It has never let me down. Electric are great, but a bit cost prohibitive for some of us.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2024, 10:56 PM »
Yeah I still run a gas as well and likely always will.

If a guy wants to start messing around with hand warmers in lunch kits and hope the battery will work after driving in to an off the grid location by snowmobile, they can take that chance.

I’ve tried to start enough heavy equipment and small engines in cold temps than I care to even remember and there’s always been and always will be one constant.

Battery issues in cold weather.

Lithium or not, when they get cold they don’t work….

Each to their own and there are pros and cons to everything. Just something to consider before spending a lot of money.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2024, 12:24 AM »
 My m18 batteries have never had an issue in the cold.  I seem to only hear that complaint from the old gas guys.  Guess I'm just lucky?  Even in those hard to reach, sled in only places..

Unless you're spending 4 days off grid in an igloo and drilling 500 holes the electric will be juuuuust fine.  The rest of you can keep mixing gas and cleaning carburetors  ;D  I'll keep some recoil rope handy too for the next time that lets go hahah tight lines boys!

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2024, 02:38 AM »
I love how the people that don't use electric are the only ones left bashing it.

Offline Lonestarsask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2024, 09:26 AM »
I just bought the ion alpha 10 inch with poly flighting. My 5th auger. I drill a ton of holes. Just keep battery's warm. By far the best auger I have ever owned

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2024, 09:46 AM »
Yes. People I’m sure do many will be living in igloos for 4 days in 2024 and be drilling 500 holes while doing it…….

None if this was meant to challenge your manhood or your augers manhood Ranger. I’m sorry you’ve clearly taken it this way…..

Simply trying to help a guy out make the best educated decision based on environment and intended use. And that’s ok.

Tight lines everyone stay safe out there in this cold weather.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2024, 10:42 AM »
It was a joke and the truth all at the same time farmboy, no ill will intended!

This forum is so quiet these days, sometimes ya just gotta stir the pot a bit.

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2024, 12:01 PM »
I agree with FB from his post on Jan 12. When I was much younger, loading the sleds and gear to sled into Gods country for 3-7 days/nights, a good gas auger or 2 came with us. I'm to old and soft to consider those adventures anymore.  These days I tend to stay within 2-4 hours from home where my truck or a warm dry cabin/house is available. The electric auger and 2 batteries are warm and handy. If its that cold and windy I just don't need to be out on the ice. But that's just me. If I was 20 years younger I would travel with FB on his northern sledding trip. Stay dry and stay warm.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2024, 02:42 PM »
Hi Bowl450,
This is my experience with an electric ice auger so-far.

I have the old 1st gen Ion, purchased when they first came out.
I am still happy with it after all this time. :)

Ion has a case that holds 2 batteries. I think keeping them warm helps for optimal performance.
You will know when your battery is going down when it starts to lag a bit when cutting.

I think it's great not having a heavy auger that might spill gas in the vehicle or in the environment when you move it.
They are quiet compared to regular ice augers and they start all the time, no need wrench your back pulling on a cord that may or may not start in the cold.

If you do get one make sure you buy extra blades, and have a wrench with you to change them.
I am not sure about the new Ions, but, the 1st gen ones have a very sharp, but a bit fragile blades.
I have had 1 break while drilling some extra hard ice, and, 2 that have dulled when going through sand in the ice.
I have found that they are also very hard to sharpen again up to cutting standards.
A broken or dull blade is no good, so having a spare with you is a good idea. ;)

If you can, get out on the ice with someone that does have an electric ice auger, and see how it feels, and, if it's right for you, before you purchase one. @)

WW

Offline bowl450

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2024, 03:44 PM »
thanks for the tips Water Wolf, especially to have a spare set of blades as its tough to go home when the fish are biting and the blades crap out and you cant drill holes
I have been drilling holes in the ice with a 8" hand auger the majority of my 68 years of life and I believe that its time to take it up to the next level and get a powered ice auger
I currently drive a SUV and I prefer the no fuel inside the vehicle philosophy.
my brother in law has a propane powered auger which works well but on real cold days you still have to keep the fuel canister warm 

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2024, 09:12 PM »
I’m all for the new electric augers and all, but there’s something nostalgic about hearing the old jiffy fire up on the other side of the lake and the smell of two stroke in the air…haha.

I switched over a couple years ago to the Eskimo PistolBit and use my Milwaukee 2804 drill. Excellent combination IMO. Plus you can use your drill to anchor down your tent on windy days.  The Milwaukee batteries are tough…I have never brought along a heated lunch kit to carry my batteries around…just bring a spare or two in case one fails and runs out of juice. I usually put down 10-20 holes an outing. H.O. Batteries are the key.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2024, 12:22 AM »
thanks for the tips Water Wolf, especially to have a spare set of blades as its tough to go home when the fish are biting and the blades crap out and you cant drill holes
I have been drilling holes in the ice with a 8" hand auger the majority of my 68 years of life and I believe that its time to take it up to the next level and get a powered ice auger
I currently drive a SUV and I prefer the no fuel inside the vehicle philosophy.
my brother in law has a propane powered auger which works well but on real cold days you still have to keep the fuel canister warm
I love my Ion

Offline js6145

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2024, 10:19 AM »
I, like water wolf, have a first generation ion. I used to have gas auger. I prefer the electric even with the blade problem and keeping the battery warm. I have had it 6 or 7 years and still use the original battery. I bought a second just for a spare. The ion battery has an internal sensor that if it gets too cold it won't work properly. I also carry a spare set of blades. I believe later models have solved the breaking of blades also. I just keep the battery in the tent or truck between uses. One thing I did notice it is shorter then most gas models and you need the extensions once ice gets thick. Also you can get your dull blades sharpened if needed. Pokeys in Regina does an excellent job.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2024, 11:06 AM »
I picked up an Alpha Plus 8 inch. It has the polymers flighting.  It’s amazing. Very easy to drill.  It rips fast and does a ton of holes. It’s light.  Highly recommend
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2024, 12:07 PM »
That polymer flighting looks pretty slick.

No bent or rusted flighting at the end of the season. Any issues with durability? That’s the one thing I’ve always wondered but all the electric and gas augers I’ve used were all steel.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2024, 12:28 PM »
 I've had mine for 7 years now and it's been bombproof, banging around in the toboggan.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2024, 01:23 AM »
Have only had my it out a handful of times so far, but I'm loving my Eskimo e40 composite (ardisam owns Eskimo and Ion).  Sightly cheaper prices, longer warranty, drills like crazy so far.  Picked up for under $800 with second free battery offer.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:42 AM »
Had a polymer flighting for three seasons before this. No issues at all.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2024, 07:29 AM »
Great buy Jpicks....I think we have heard enough pros and cons on both the gas augers and electric augers for anyone to make up their mind on what to buy.  It's like some men prefer Blondes VS Redheads or visa versa...we don't hold that against them.  In fact some men try both of them or even 3 or 4 different ones (hard to tell at first with all the dye colors),  before deciding which one they want.  Like they say....they are all good, it's just that some are better then others.

I just want to say good luck with whichever color .......I mean auger you go with.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2024, 01:59 PM »
Great buy Jpicks....I think we have heard enough pros and cons on both the gas augers and electric augers for anyone to make up their mind on what to buy.  It's like some men prefer Blondes VS Redheads or visa versa...we don't hold that against them.  In fact some men try both of them or even 3 or 4 different ones (hard to tell at first with all the dye colors),  before deciding which one they want.  Like they say....they are all good, it's just that some are better then others.

I just want to say good luck with whichever color .......I mean auger you go with.

;D

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2024, 08:58 PM »
Looks like I waited too long, both the Strikemaster 40v and Eskimo E40 are sold out online and in Saskatoon. For those of you running these new electric augers how well does the reverse option work for clearing the slush down down the hole? Any issues opening old holes?  With 2 working gassers I’m still trying to justify another purchase to myself. Thinking the absence of fumes in the shack and possibly a cleaner floor might be enough to make me pull the trigger.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2024, 09:16 PM »
I don't like drilling out old holes, even if they are one day old.  With the crap the wind blows in them, etc. I find it's hard on the blades.  I sooner just drill a new hole 6 inches from a old hole that I want to fish.  But I can see were that would be a problem in a shack, you pretty much have to drill out the old holes, just try and keep them clean.

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2024, 01:14 PM »
I was at the “Fishing Hole” in Saskatoon this morning. They had some E40’s in stock….both composite and steel flight in 8 and 10 inch.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.