Author Topic: Ideas for DIY portable kit?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
Ideas for DIY portable kit?
« on: Jan 31, 2022, 05:52 AM »
I was just given an old, but brand-new-in-the-box, Lowrance Elite-4 sonar.  I have a Garmin Striker Plus 5 ice set-up I really enjoy but I'd like to rig the Lowrance up so I have a second machine for a buddy to use, etc.

Someone recently had five portable kits for that Lowrance for sale on eBay for cheap but when I decided to get one they were all sold.  I can't find another one anywhere.

Has anyone come up with an inexpensive but effective way to rig up a unit like the Elite-4 for ice fishing use?  I'd really appreciate seeing some photos or reading some descriptions or tips/hints on how to do it... 

Thanks in advance for any help,
Bob

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ideas for DIY portable kit?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2022, 06:42 AM »
i rigged up a plastic ammo can. Battery is inside with some insulating foam to keep it from sliding around. Power runs through a waterproof gland in the side of the box and I mount the fish finder on top of the box with the same mount i use on my kayak. Its a quick release yak-attack mount.  The unit fits in the box for travel and then gets plugged in and mounted on top when in use.

Its not as neat or compact as a store bought shuttle,  but it works and didn't cost me anything.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2022, 06:52 AM »
That sounds perfect.  I drag my gear out in a XL Jet Sled behind my snowmobile sometimes and having the sonar in a hard-sided box vs. a soft bag sounds advantageous.  I would just need to pick up a plastic ammo can. They are cheap enough.

Thanks very much for sharing your set-up.  I appreciate it.

Bob

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2022, 12:40 PM »
Make a base out of wood (or better yet HDPE if you have access to it), buy a trophy angler flasher bag, buy the battery you want and glue it to the base, and then screw the transom ducer to a T made of wood (or old tipup). Ready to go ice fishing for $25+ battery cost, and a heck of a lot more portable and compactable than an ammo can or storage box. I've done the ammo can thing, its not practical for me.

In about 2 months you will be able to get an ice ducer for a good price for next year.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2022, 01:04 PM »
Thanks Kevin.  I like this idea best.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2022, 07:37 AM »
I have an ammo can setup and even I like Kevin's idea the best!

I hadn't seen these Trophy angler bags before and never could find a legit humminbird shuttle for cheap (everything i find comes with the ducer and other accessories).

I wouldn't glue down my battery because i swap it over to the kayak for the summer, but I could probably rig up something removable to secure the battery in place.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:41 AM »
I'm not sure if Trophy Anger is still making those bags.  I did locate some, but at $40 rather than $25...

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:20 AM »
Quick google search shows several retailers selling them between $20 and $30.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:29 AM »
Could make your base out of a cutting board ..could also make your transport handle out of a smaller cutting board w/cut out handle ..the rest of the extra pieces could be used to make a battery box and extra do dads

free ship @ $50

https://www.scheels.com/p/trophy-angler-elite-ice-electronics-shuttle-case/72388895207.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2022, 09:46 AM »

Here is what I use to hold and carry my elite 5. A kitty litter bucket, a piece of 4" pvc post cover (battery fits inside just right), wood blocks to hold the battery and pvc straps
with a piece of plastic pipe for the handle. I also have a coupling glued to the pvc post cover to hold the transducer.
 This is all stuff I had laying around, so no out of pocket expense.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.