Author Topic: Charging 12v lead acid battery  (Read 1601 times)

Offline FENNDANGO

• IceShanty Rookie
Charging 12v lead acid battery
« on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:09 PM »
How do I know when this is charged? And will it overheat blowup anything like that if I left it plugged in?

TIA

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Charging 12v lead acid battery
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:27 PM »
How do I know when this is charged? And will it overheat blowup anything like that if I left it plugged in?

TIA

No charge indicating lights on the charger? If not you'll have to to have a battery tester.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:32 PM »
Consider upgrading your charger to something with indicator lights, such as a "Battery Tender Jr." Trickle charger that you could leave on all the time but I unplug and unhook once it shows charged.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2022, 11:51 AM »
I dont trust the chargers with no indication lights.the battery tender jr is great but i started using the noco genius chargers and they are top notch and a step above the battery tender brand.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2022, 12:02 PM »
 ;)2

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2022, 06:57 AM »
The charger in your photo puts out 50mah.  Your battery is 7ah, so if it was completely dead, it would take your charger 14 hours to charge it.  But for normal charging, leaving it on the charger overnight would almost surely bring it up to full charge without harming it.

Sealed lead-acid batteries have an extremely low self-discharge rate.  I charged my Marcum's new battery last winter when I put it away and when I got it out this season, it was only on the charger for about two minutes before it read fully charged.  You wouldn't need to or want to leave your battery on the charger all the time... just put it on the night before you plan to fish and it will be charged and ready in the morning.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2022, 07:10 AM »
Your pic shows a Universal class 2 power supply, not a battery charger. I’m not an expert but pretty sure there’s a difference.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2022, 07:35 AM »
Your pic shows a Universal class 2 power supply, not a battery charger. I’m not an expert but pretty sure there’s a difference.

Good eye!  I think you're right... I think a proper wall wart charger would have that same 50mah output, but at 13.5V or 14V instead of 12V.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2022, 12:32 PM »
Good eye!  I think you're right... I think a proper wall wart charger would have that same 50mah output, but at 13.5V or 14V instead of 12V.

Its an old school charger, thats how we all charged SLA batteries 10 years ago. They are just power supplies that output ~13V constant.

Its also 500mah (0.5A), not 50mah.

A noco genius 1 charger would be a worthwhile purchase, can charge 6v, 12v SLA, 12V AGM, and 12V Lithium and costs about $30. It will be the only charger you need for any battery you buy in the future. Plus it is a smart charger, so you can just plug it in and set the mode you want and leave it hooked to battery 24/7 if you would like.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2022, 12:44 PM »
I dont trust the chargers with no indication lights.the battery tender jr is great but i started using the noco genius chargers and they are top notch and a step above the battery tender brand.

I had a Minn Kota charger where the green light stopped coming on. I ended up getting a better digital charger that actually slows the charge half way through and I can keep it plugged in on the battery on maintenance mode.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.