Author Topic: Paul's "really cool" UL whip-up design  (Read 29129 times)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Paul's "really cool" UL whip-up design
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2005, 04:52 AM »
Are all inventors schizophrenic?
Or is it just me?   :P

no me too!! and me ,and me, and me , and me

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Paul, I wanted to tell ya I finally caught something on that contraption! first fish was a 10" perch and the second..  a 6" gill..   when that first fish hit, the trap snapped, I turned my head and in amazement I saw my rod pounding.   wo wwhat a Thrill!  my Dad couldn't stop talking about it! the second fish set it off while I was out checking my tipdowns..  snap!!  I heard about 150' away..   by the time I got there that poor little gill was all tuckered out..    it's just the cat's meow.. THANKS!!    Oh, I use a 6 foot light action rod.  I was using a CJ&S's Finkie tipped with a fathead minnie tail.  and I had a matchbook cover on the line to get some action.. worked perfect!  thanks so much! :D :D
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2005, 08:53 AM »
Thanks for the pictures!!!

For us visually inclined guys, the photos really help. Will look forward to seeing some of the modified designs to follow?!

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2005, 09:51 AM »
I dont know how to post a picture yet so if somebody here could post them I would email the pictures to them,just let me know

P Gottshall

« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2005, 10:07 PM »
Gairz,

That's awesome! Hope they tasted good!!

Machinist,

[email protected] & I'll post-'em for ya!

Paul

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2005, 11:53 AM »
O.K. I am done with my mods to this fish catchin machine!!!I will try to post some pics in e few days when I get a chance.what I did was instead of the mouse trap I used two L screws that are used to hang picture frames with(the little brass ones)and screwed them to the t end that had the mouse trap on it so the hook would hold the rod tip bent over and the other one you drape the line over so it pulls the rod tip off from the other L hook and the bent over rod does the rest(setting the hook).The best thing about this set up is no busted nuckles/fingers to worry about and that you can set the sensitivity of the strike by turning the hook that holds the rod tip down,I have a 1/16 ounce worm wieght on the end of the string and it will set off the rod if you let it drop abouta 1/4 t a 1/2 an inch from the line being slack,or you can set it heavy for bigger minnows and such.Like said I will take some pictures and try to post them if I have any problems I will email them to somebody if they would help.The only problem is that there is hardly any ice hear and I cant wait to test it,the weather also lookes like it is giong to hit record highs this week to!!! >:( >:(

I dont know how to post a picture yet so if somebody here could post them I would email the pictures to them,just let me know

MACHINIST sent me these photo's to post.   Nice idea..  I can see me using these on my contraption.  I've yet to get my fingers in the mouse trap..  ;D  but when I do that mouse trap is sure to go down the hole.. 

MACHINIST MODIFICATION TO THE PAUL'S UL WHIPUP:

TOP VIEW:

SIDEISH/TOP VIEW:

BTW, my contraption has since caught more fish.  Two gills and a perch.  The thing alone outfished my Dad last Sunday!!  hehee  ;D

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 04, 2005, 08:33 AM »
Well what do you guys think?Thanks gairs for posting the pics for me.On the fish trap you can set the hook that holds the rod tip down so that it's a hair trigger or for a little more aggressive fish,just turn the hook.I will be doing some testing tonight somewhere,don't know where yet but it will get tested.The only thing that I don't like is that the trap is built for one rod and one rod only I  tried others but they didn't work the same.

missedone

« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Can you make one that pours beer in my mouth and makes a sandwich for me?  If you can, try working on one that with vacume, etc. too, I've got an expensive old model at home I'm willing to let go of at cost.

Offline RebelIceFshr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2005, 08:02 AM »
I made both of these set-ups.  On Blind Sodus you could hear the mouse trap snap from across the bay.  Ever trap set caught a fish.  The other though, with the brass hooks, doesn't set so easily.  Many times, I have pulled line up to find fish hanging on the other end all tuckered out.

Lots o fun!!!   ;D

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 16, 2005, 08:07 AM »
I've since modified my mouse trap after the pan got bent..  it works a little better.  i took the pan off, took my pliers and yanked out one side of the staple that held the pan.  I bent it up to a 90 degree angle (similar to Machineists "L" screws)   I set the trigger under that staple.  everything else is the same..

Offline vette59jdwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 21, 2008, 11:36 AM »
  OK Guys  This is way to complicated. Here's my take on this .Two things first  Keep it SIMPLE. the other if its not broken why try to fix it. Are you READY
  Take a 2x6 or 2x8--10 to 12 inches in length.Take a broken hockey stick everyone has one of them laying around. Cut the broken end on a 45 degree cut. Take the but end of the hockey stick and trace the but end on the 2x8 or 2x6 now cut a square hole for the hockey stick to fit in. If its wobbly cut a nother piece of 2x6 or 2x8 only this time make this one 4 inches in length cut a square hole in the middle of this and screw this to the first board so the hockey stick will pass through both,now that is sturdier.
  Now go to your local hardware store  get yourself a few door springs the ones with the little rubber stopper on the ends.The ones that screw on the base boards to stop the door handle from going threw the wall.Get one for earch tip up. Also get as many pieces of dowling 1/4 inch,as you are wanting one piece for each tip up. also get yourself as many cup hooks as you need one for each tip up.Get the smallest cup hooks that you can find or your going to split the dowling.It might be advisable to drill the dowling one size smaller than the cup hook screw.
  Now take the rubber stopper off of the end of the door stop and put in pocket .Take the steel end with the screw off of the bottom of the door stop and screw to the 45 degree cut you made on the hockey stick, take the dowling whatever length you want for the best sencitivity take the cup hook and screw into the dowling about one inch back from the tip.Take the other end of the dowling and screw it into the end of the door stop and screw the door stop spring back onto the metal piece that you screwed to the 45 dergree cut.Then attach a fishing reel about 3 to 4 inches up from the but end ,place the but end in the squared holes of the 2x6 or 2x8. Place next to hole, loop the line over the cup hook,bait up and drop your line in the hole.When it hits bottom reel in the line until it pulls the dowling parallel with the ice.Set the tension on the reel.
  Next wait for fish to bite.
  PS if using for night fishing wrap a piece of reflective tape on the end of the dowling.
  Good luck and Happy Fishing 

NOW THATS SIMPLE WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2008, 12:08 PM »
Do any of you remember that kids came called Mousetrap? 

MD

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:39 PM »
Vette59....and just how does that set the hook for you??
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline vette59jdwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:53 PM »
  Well BELLYBUSTER--Billy Bob wants to know if you would like me to land your fish as well

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:53 PM »
kinda missed the entire essence of this 3 year old thread didn't ya??? sarcasm may be assumed

Actually, just checked, 4 years, congrats
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2008, 01:41 PM »
kindaa funny..  I just saw my old mouse trap rig last night..  thinking about wiping the dust off of her and taking her out with the kids..  kids love it.  hell, I love it! 

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:49 AM »
I have built five of these rigs, and caught a few perch with them.  They are easy to build and set up.  Thanks for the design.  My materials list is 3 T connections, two 90 degree elbows, 36" of 1" PVC, a mouse trap, two zip ties and a hot glue gun.  The PVC is cut into one 4" (rod holder), two 3" (base), one 12" (trap post) and one 14" (long arm base) section.  Glue the base pieces together, but leave the trap post and rod holder unglued.  Then you can disassemble the unit to store better.  I fit all five in a three gallon square plastic bucket.  I painted them all fluorescent orange for visibility.

I catch a few fishermen, too.  One guy photographed them, and a couple have already built there own. 

Thanks again for the original idea.  I just call them "snappers", and I'm building two "slammers", too.  The pike are on the feed right now, and I need to get out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.