Author Topic: Sportsmans guide?  (Read 6635 times)

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sportsmans guide?
« on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Are thge Ice Blue jigging Rods good or not?
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Sportsmans guide?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Might want to post a link in regards to what your referring to.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:29 PM »
I'd stay away from any HT rod...for 8$, cheap stuff, waste of money IMO. Ya get what ya pay for.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Kinda what I figured. Liked the Trout rod though.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Try one of the Frabill Ice Hunter rods....not too bad. Theres just much better stuff out there. Not trying to bash stuff, but I just hate seeing guys end up with some el cheapo rod with twisted guides and handles that snap off, best way to ruin a trip that I know of. Sportsman's Guide, by the way, is a great company to buy from/work with.   ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2014, 05:22 PM »
. Sportsman's Guide, by the way, is a great company to buy from/work with.   ;)

I bought a lot of gear from them last year ...pretty fast shipping and all around decent selection and price .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2014, 07:11 PM »
I've used them quite a bit but nothing involving ice fishing.  Its fast and what I've gotten, camping, army surplus and hunting has all been as advertised.   I've gotten enough stuff from them that I use the member discount part and come out ahead.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:14 PM »
I've used the ice blue rods and like them. never had a problem with HT rods. Sportsman's guide - gotta research the product. bought an Avalanche Leon jacket that they said was windproof and waterproof. when I received it, the tag said windproof and water resistant. I contacted Avalanche and they confirmed that it was not waterproof, thus wxplaining why when I put the sleeve under the faucet, my arm got wet. SG sent me a shipping lable postage paid for me to return it when I posted an unvfavorable rating.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2014, 03:57 PM »
I ordered 3. I'm going to put the No 8 CGI on one.

Ht Ent 24" Hvy Deluxe Ice Blue

Ht Ent 24" Med Ice Blue Castin

Ht Ent 24" Med Ice Blue Spin

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I ordered 3. I'm going to put the No 8 CGI on one.

Ht Ent 24" Hvy Deluxe Ice Blue

Ht Ent 24" Med Ice Blue Castin

Ht Ent 24" Med Ice Blue Spin

got the high lighted in green rod.  it is a good rod for the price. there is two company that sport mens guide owns, one is sports mens guide the other  i cant remember off hand. they had the same deal etc but no member discount needed. maybe sportsmens ware house? can't be sure with out a google search will let you know what i find in a bit if this come back up... 

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:27 PM »
how does bargain outfitters sound? that who it is by the way that is who is in with sportmens guide.

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/Bargain_Main.aspx?

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2014, 08:21 PM »

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2014, 09:06 PM »
i fish panfish and LOVE the ice blues in the ultra light action! i dont need a spring bobber with them and have landed so 4-5 lbs bass, countless pickerel and the rods bend almost in a circle! i have 5 and only 1 in the last 10+ years have ever cracked. and i am still using that rod without problems. i have not fished any other auction's besides the ultra light though. but for the money they are great. and if they do break its not like ill be out a lot of cash to replace.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:52 PM »
good noodle rod for the money! last a long time if your gentle with them. no need for spring bobbers. not much backbone, but i've landed 2-3 lb. bass with them without any trouble. one problem though, the eyelets freeze pretty easy if you're outside a hut. they're pretty small.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:54 PM »
Have the 48 inch blue rod and love it. great for long rodding crappie and gill.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:57 PM »
I bought an ice blues from them once. Bought the 24" UL and they sent me a 30 some inch MH. Called them up and they were adamant they sent the correct rod and would not do anything about it. Told them I was not renewing my membership anymore and the CS guy said "That's your choice" and hung up on me. I still buy some small stuff from them when they have free shipping but I have never bought the membership again.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:16 AM »

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:50 AM »
I run away from foam handle rods. Cork transmits bites better imo
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2014, 01:26 PM »

wood is better then cork juts a tip ;) cork some times is softer then wood hard woods not balsa's type woods. that what will make it transmit a lot of the feeling to your hands i use to build a lot of wood handled rods.  till i got sensitized to wood  it like having a allergy to wood rash and hives is what i get along with swelling...   when ever i do wood working. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:28 PM »

Its a noodle rod.... you dont feel bites.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:50 PM »
another good noodle rod is schooly artic blue series if you can find them. they sell them at holdens around here every now and then...

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Someone mentioned price reflecting quality. Not necessarily, I say.

In this case, though, it's more or less true. The components are adequate at best,  the guides may not even be aligned, and there may or may not be other defects. So what? You're paying less than
$10 for it, and  it will effectively catch as much fish as a $60 rod. If it breaks, it isn't much trouble to replace. Sure, these rods aren't top shelf, but they're worth buying.

I agree with much of the feedback expressed by other members. I've only used the UL action spinning rods, 24" and 30". As I see it, they really shine when transmitting strikes. A spring bobber is redundant on an HT Ice Blue. The downside is that they have almost no backbone. Even a modest -sized fish folds these rods in half, and it isn't much fun landing or playing fish on such wimpy tackle.

For what its worth, there are a lot of reviews written on this subject, if you search online retailers. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:45 AM »
I've bought a lot from Sportsmans Guide. Great service as well. They and Bargain outfitters is the same place. I have bought both the 5500 and 6500 Wide House by Shappell from them. I also bought my first Showdown Troller from them.
<===Lefty===

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Its a noodle rod.... you dont feel bites.

Noted. I run away from noodle rods with no backbone
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:42 AM »
The ice blue rods  30'' and 36'' are great! I have 3 and I have caught many fish on them not a lot of backbone but will haul a 8 pound togue no problem.. And you can feel the light bites very well A lot of us use them in Maine on the Maine board. We just caught 12 largemouth some were 5 pounds yesterday on the 36'' UL.  The inline reels work best.. :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:48 AM »
The ice blue rods  30'' and 36'' are great! I have 3 and I have caught many fish on them not a lot of backbone but will haul a 8 pound togue no problem.. And you can feel the light bites very well A lot of us use them in Maine on the Maine board. We just caught 12 largemouth some were 5 pounds yesterday on the 36'' UL.  The inline reels work best.. :)
yeah. the ice blue ice rods in 30 to 36 inch rods are great and  worth the price.the ultra light or light models no spring bobbers needed.the eyes are small and like to freeze up but they are really the only things I buy from the brand HT anymore.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Noted. I run away from noodle rods with no backbone

As do I. Mine are custom made with cork handles. More backbone than a ml rod with a tip sensitive enough to see a 2in gill bite. I still do not feel them hit unless they pound it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2014, 02:28 PM »
I like my 24" light so much bought two more for myself and one for a gift this year. They fit my style of fishing, for a beginner on a budget they are a start. always looking for something better. I have more issues with ice build up on the line than eyes freezing, and I do hole hop outside a bit.
:icefish:

Offline noam1700

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 07, 2015, 06:12 AM »
As someone else mentioned look for schooleys arctic blue rods.  They are very similar to the HT rods but with a cork handle and a little bit stiffer backbone.  I have used HT ice blues for years now and never had any problems with them.  The foam handles kind of suck but for the price you can go thru 5 HT rods for the price of a good Jason Mitchell or Tickle sticks.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2015, 07:46 PM »
I love them...I put a different reel on them and use them for perch, walleye, and trout.  I use the ultralight.  I don't really feel the bite, but I see it and catch the fish just fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.