Author Topic: who is using fly reels  (Read 18635 times)

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: who is using fly reels
« Reply #30 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I'm very happy that I made the change to fly reels last winter.Bought the reels at Cabala's ,19.00 dollars apiece and had them fill the reels with backing almost to the top and then put on my ice line.Then when I made it back home I took the reel spool off and took the inside spring out so I wouldn't have the dreaded clicking noise.HA HA I think these are even better than the schooly reels by for.They can take in so much more line for every turn of the reel handle.I have my reel handle on the left side and reel with my left hand and then that way I can use my right thumb as the drag if the fish makes a run.Try one set up that way and just see how it works out for your style of fishing. Good luck STEVE

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #31 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:47 PM »
I think I will have to try this this year, Im up for a new challenge

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 30, 2010, 03:21 PM »
Well, the reel came in the mail on Thursday.  After breaking out the Super 88 & taped it on my Quiverstick I had Thorne Bros make for me when I was up there this summer.  I had them put the fly reel seat on just for this option.  It is very balanced to hold.  Now for the ice!!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2010, 05:34 PM »
that looks awesome, this thread is gonna cost me some money for sure

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2010, 06:56 PM »
Junky, as I've seen in the past, every year this passion costs us a ton of dough!  It's seems to be the same thing every year.  I always see the little nook you have in the house get more filled up w/ the latest & greatest!  You going to shoot more video of your ice closet?  I just dropped another $70 at Cabela's today just on ice gear.  Jigs & line.  I always need to get on stuff preseason before it's gone!  This new rod of mine is super sweet!  I can't tell you how many times I'm sight fishing & just seeing that Marmooska spinning out of control & I'm thinking, is this how it looks all of the time?  No more!

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 30, 2010, 08:19 PM »
I like that set up i am gonna build myself a couple rods just for fly reels. How do you like that fly reel is it pretty light weight? Does it seem well built? how smooth is it?

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #36 on: Oct 31, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Junky, as I've seen in the past, every year this passion costs us a ton of dough!  It's seems to be the same thing every year.  I always see the little nook you have in the house get more filled up w/ the latest & greatest!  You going to shoot more video of your ice closet?

lol..thats for sure.. I love trying new things, I hope to take some more videos this season, show off some of the new gear in action

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 31, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Well, the reel came in the mail on Thursday.  After breaking out the Super 88 & taped it on my Quiverstick I had Thorne Bros make for me when I was up there this summer.  I had them put the fly reel seat on just for this option.  It is very balanced to hold.  Now for the ice!!!

Jimmy, that looks real sweet man. How long is the rod?

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 31, 2010, 04:45 PM »
I used to use a very old fly reel, before I got a Tica Cetus on Amazon!
Get the flag!

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:15 PM »

Jimmy, that looks real sweet man. How long is the rod?

32" I think.  I'll measure it later.  It's not offered on the website, but they had one setup there upstairs when I was there.  It is crazy awesome!  Got a small White River fly rod case for it at BPS so I can leave it setup at all times. 

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #40 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:28 PM »
I like that set up i am gonna build myself a couple rods just for fly reels. How do you like that fly reel is it pretty light weight? Does it seem well built? how smooth is it?
I was very surprised by how smooth it was for being $27 & graphite.  It's not smooth like some $600 Ross reel, but it's perfect for this setup.  I was searching for a while to find a good reel that wasn't metal.  I don't want it to hold the cold since this will be an outside rod most of the time.  Not sure what I'm going to do for a backing on the reel, but I'll have 2lb P-line on the end of it.

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:36 PM »
Thats a nice setup make sure you let us know how it performs this winter when it gets cold out

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #42 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:44 PM »
I emailed them yesterday about that rod, it's is not available on the site, but they talk about and picture it in the infisherman ice guide. Looks awesome,

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #43 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:52 PM »
I emailed them yesterday about that rod, it's is not available on the site, but they talk about and picture it in the infisherman ice guide. Looks awesome,
Junky, they have a ton of stuff they can do that's not on the website.  They are "Custom" rods.  They will build you whatever you want.  Just call them & ask.  They got a great selection of options that will drain your accounts!!!  I know!

Offline Tank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:57 PM »
The Quiverstick is an amazing rod. I have one and im not sure i'd want it with a fly reelseat. Seems like the reel would be too far back. Atleast for the way I hold the rod. But thats just me...
And if you want to put a spinning reel, your kinda stuck. Thats one of the things I like about TB - no reel seats so you can balance reels how you like em. Another nice thing is they are custom and will build whatever you want.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Oct 31, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Do fly reels have "anti reverse"?

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #46 on: Oct 31, 2010, 07:41 PM »
The Quiverstick is an amazing rod. I have one and im not sure i'd want it with a fly reelseat. Seems like the reel would be too far back. Atleast for the way I hold the rod. But thats just me...
And if you want to put a spinning reel, your kinda stuck. Thats one of the things I like about TB - no reel seats so you can balance reels how you like em. Another nice thing is they are custom and will build whatever you want.
I know what you're saying.  I wasn't sold on it at first, but once I picked it up & held it the right way, it was the cats tookus!  I'll snap a picture of how I hold it.  I was sold instantly!  If I want one w/ the regular handle on it, believe me, I'll get it!  Whats another hundo compared to the thousands I've spent already! ;D

Offline koolaidnd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Oct 31, 2010, 07:42 PM »
I have never seen one with anti reverse.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 31, 2010, 07:53 PM »

Offline Tank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Oct 31, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Do fly reels have "anti reverse"?

If a fly reel has a drag, then it has what i'd call "instant anti-reverse". Should be no slop at all.
If your running a reel with no drag then your thumb or fingers are the drag...
One-way clutch has to do with the drag and being able to change from left to right retrieve.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:19 AM »
this is all sounding very interesting  :)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #51 on: Nov 01, 2010, 10:29 AM »
I made my purchase this morning, I called ThorneBros and ordered the Quiver stick with the fly reel seat. it is 32" long and costs $89 (you pay $5 more for the reel seat)

They mentioned they have a few made up, and will be adding them to the site in the next few days. 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #52 on: Nov 03, 2010, 06:46 PM »
after much debating I finally purchased a fly reel for my quiver stick. I looked at many and decided to go with an Okuma Sierra from FishUSA. the price was about $35 and I picked up some backing as well for an extra $5. Cant wait to get out on the ice with this new combo

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 03, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I got the Redington Crosswater reel today.  Do you think I could spool it with extra tip up line for backing?

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #54 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:08 PM »
after much debating I finally purchased a fly reel for my quiver stick. I looked at many and decided to go with an Okuma Sierra from FishUSA. the price was about $35 and I picked up some backing as well for an extra $5. Cant wait to get out on the ice with this new combo
Junky, what are you going to use as the backing?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #55 on: Nov 03, 2010, 09:02 PM »
I picked up fly reel backing, not sure if it will work, or how well, but at $5 it was worth a shot.  I may start with it to help fill the spool them into an ice braid, and finally into my usual Asso line. 

It may take some playing to see how it works. Last season I converted most of my reels to Suffix Ice Braid (high vis Orange) and then used a 2lb Asso leader, works great fro crappies, perch and gills.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #56 on: Nov 04, 2010, 08:31 AM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152633.0

There you go.  Fly reel with anti-reverse and all.  ;D  Or rather spool brakes.

Fly line backed, 8# mono backed, then spooled with 2# line.  On a JM Mitchell meatstick, but broken&fixed tip.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #57 on: Nov 14, 2010, 08:52 AM »
Junky, you get  your rod yet?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #58 on: Nov 14, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Yep, the rod arrived last week, the reel should be here this week, pics will be on the way soon. The rod is awesome

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:00 PM »
the quiverstick with the fly reel seat is on the thornebros website now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.