The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Super Duper Mille Lacs BS Thread!  (Read 64084 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Super Duper Mille Lacs BS Thread!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:17 PM »
I have not fished in a sleeper out there in at least 10 years... seriously.. I am a portable guy to begin with and Mille Lacs is so close, I just go home and go to bed there.

For "dead sticking" or hanging stuff below a rattle reel, use fatheads. Some times a medium shiner is good too... If you come up 169, stop at Prince Bait just north of Milaca. No one else in this area can keep decent shiners to save their life. I would go half and half with shiners and fatheads on your rattle reels. Maybe even toss in a sucker or two if you have enough holes and people to make it legal.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Thanks for the help!   Can you catch them all day or is it primarily a dusk, dawn situation... Jigging during the day and rattle reels at night?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #62 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:13 PM »
Middle of the day and middle of the night are usually the least productive. They do bite all day though... You can catch a fat eelpout at night, so set them rattle reels while you sleep! The ice is getting crazy thick, the light levels are always low under there this time of year.

You can jig 24-7... set the rattle reels when you get sick of it.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:24 PM »
Is there a color jig that seems to be working well?   Are they close to the bottom?  I don't have a flasher yet, but I do have a camera, but I suppose it will be too deep to see.  Is it the standard set up with the rattle reels set a foot off the bottom?  Again sorry for all the questions...I wouldn't ordinarily fish like this, but I guess Sometimes when an opportunity comes...you got to try it!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:34 PM »
This kind of stuff is why this thread exists.. Anyone else can skim over it later. Someone needs to ask before someone else can skim... ;)

Yeah, I'd set up 10-14 inches off the bottom. Hot pink has always been my color out there.... every really big fish I've ever caught out there was caught on pink... White, chartreuse, and orange can be good too. Hot pink is starting to become a superstition for me though, I usually start there.

Walleyes on that lake are usually glued to the bottom... pinned down. They fire up like a rocket ship to grab a meal though. Sometimes I jig real low, sometimes I jig like three feet up.

The camera may be helpful. Mille Lacs is quite clear. 

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 09, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Does any one fish crappie & gills on Wahkon Bay?We were out there in Dec. with minimal luck, The walleyes were a blast. Any feed back would be great.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Feb 09, 2013, 11:57 AM »
Mille Lacs stinks for crappies and gills.... It pretty much always has. Sometimes you can get them in the spring in Isle bay, but expect a ridiculous crowd. I never understood that myself....

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Millelacs bite
« Reply #67 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Anyone have any information on the bite on Millelacs? HEADED UP Thursday for the weekend trip of the year......Hope the weather straightens out.....
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Millelacs bite
« Reply #68 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Good luck, and stay safe!

WS

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:06 PM »
Hopefully something biting I am also heading up for the weekend but I will not be stuck to the big lake.  Willing to to look into the other lakes of the are.
<br />

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Well the weather pattern is going to straighten out...the eye bite should be on.....Tony roach has a great fishing report on his sight.......sounds like there's some major cracks that have opened up so beware...Not to mention 10 inches of snow on top.....people are saying to bring an extension if you have one.....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Looks like I will have to buy one up there cause we do not need one ever down here.  I hope I find one.
<br />

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:33 PM »
What part of the lake?

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:18 PM »
From my understanding off Hunters Point.....sounds like they have put out bridges for the wanderers so make sure you follow the roads.....
Now sounds like were leaving after work Wed.....This will be an experience for me....

Just want one pic of me holding a huge eye........

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:54 PM »
It may happen.... The bite is slow but there are plenty of big fish.

If you get that picture, make sure you post it here! ;D

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Will do........... ;D

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mille Lacs
« Reply #76 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Headding out to Mille Lacs in the next couple days.  Looking for ice thickness wondering if it has gotten to the point of needing an extension?

Thank you
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Mille Lacs
« Reply #77 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:55 AM »
   Bring it with.

WS

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Great time on Millelacs......My first eye was 26" and 4 16"ers........weather was great....caught most off the
Humps during midday.....Red Rattle spoon tipped with minnows head...
Saw a 29" caught at dark.....beautiful fish and watched it swim away.
Next years trip is planned..already...

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:01 PM »
There isn't another lake like it.... It's always worth a try. :)

Congratulations on a good trip.

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:28 PM »
Thanks...iF I can figure out how to post a pic I would......

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Fished the perch tournament off of hunters point....we found the perch saw them on the cameras watched them Chase but the Dang things wouldn't bite anything we tried.....

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Im skiping school friday to go to mille lacs for the last weekend of the season planing on garision bay. Do you guys have any other ideas of where to go?
thanks

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #83 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:23 PM »
How far is everyone venturing out right now? I hope the warm temp tomorrow will melt some of the snow so we can start making some good ice.
KCCO

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:51 PM »
All I've been doing is working and plowing snow. I haven't ventured onto the super slab yet. Hopefully when Christmas, snow, and my stupid job are calmed down, I can get some reports up.

Offline crappiefan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Dec 21, 2013, 11:03 AM »
Sounds like I will making my first ice fishing trip to Mille Lacs.  We will be staying at Macs Twin Bay around the 9th of January.  Any tips or hints on the fishing I that area?  Thanks in advance.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #86 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Work your way a little north from where you will be at past sunset bay and work the sand area. Mille lacs as everyone knows is broken up into 3 parts,  the Mud flatts, sand area, and where you will be at the rock and gravel area. If your looking for eyes work the sand with either a slender spoon tipped with minnow head, or a rattling jig. Drill hole after hole after hole looking for ridges. Pros will even tell the same thing, drill drill drill. Good luck
KCCO

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:13 AM »
TC86 gave some good advice. Never fish Mille Lacs without a GPS and a portable fish house. Staying stationary or just drilling blind is a recipe for failure.

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 22, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Fished Mille from 6am till 8pm last friday. Covered a lot of ground, marked some fish, and caught 0. I was disappointed but the weather was great and it was my first time on that lake. So it will get better. Back to the drawing board and going to try and come up with a new game plan then go back up for a couple days in about 2 weeks.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #89 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:02 PM »
The walleyes are definitely out there, you just have to find . But for sure you need a gps and flasher. Fish the flatts
KCCO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.