Author Topic: Using crimps help  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Using crimps help
« on: Aug 24, 2018, 10:09 AM »
I bought some Seaguar Blue Label 80# test. Somebody want to learn me about using crimps? I have no idea what to do or buy. Thank you very much.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Using crimps help
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2018, 10:19 AM »
Here's some excellent information: http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html

Don't overlook the importance of a proper tool (crimper) and technique. Don't just mash 'em closed with a pliers. I bought a Mustad for around $30. Worth every penny. Or proper crimps, no steel or copper on mono/fluoro. Aluminum is best. And don't forget to melt a little mushroom on the tag end before you crimp 'er home  ;)2.

I used to crow that crimps were "evil" but I've changed my tune. Especially where very heavy fluoro is used, think 50# and up. There are still limits and leaders can and eventually will fail right at the crimp. Regular inspection and preventative replacement addresses that problem.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:15 AM »
 or avoid the crimps, and go to youtube and find some easy knots. I make all my harnesses, and have crimps and a crimper, but now , for one time , my crimps were exhausted, so, I could quick run up to a tackle supply, or , youtube knots

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:48 AM »
I was watching a salt water fishing show and the guy said he uses a lot of heavy fluorocarbon leaders. So I looked that up online and one guy said he uses loop knots and  they work great. So I use simple loop knots with 80lb fluorocarbon and have been catching pike with no issues.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.