New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: K-drill or not?  (Read 12260 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: K-drill or not?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:06 AM »
Bosco2 PM sent
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 16, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Bosco2 quote: Thank you. Sincerely. I'm going to throw all that info in the mix and maybe just hand drill this season and save up in the off season for the right tools for the right job.

If you are going to hand drill for a while go with a nils auger. You might decide you won't even want a drill on it unless you get 12 inches or more ice.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #62 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:08 AM »
Has anyone had their motor burn out on them while using their power drill? My power drill died on my when i was drilling on tuesday. Using a dewalt drill that ive had for a few years now. Only used it for 1/2 a season with my 6" kdrill. Didnt know how often you encountered a drill's motor burning out while using the auger.

There wasnt anything out of the ordinary with my drilling that morning either. I drilled a few holes, set my shanty up and drilled a couple more. Smelled burning so i let the drill rest and when i went back to drill more it was dead. Had my hand auger on me for a backup so my day wasnt ended there thankfully (or not thankfully as i took a tip up flag to the eyeball later that afternoon, giving myself a nice corneal abrasion - super painful and not very fun to deal with, so i do NOT recommend getting one  :roflmao: ).

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:10 AM »
Has anyone had their motor burn out on them while using their power drill? My power drill died on my when i was drilling on tuesday. Using a dewalt drill that ive had for a few years now. Only used it for 1/2 a season with my 6" kdrill. Didnt know how often you encountered a drill's motor burning out while using the auger.

There wasnt anything out of the ordinary with my drilling that morning either. I drilled a few holes, set my shanty up and drilled a couple more. Smelled burning so i let the drill rest and when i went back to drill more it was dead. Had my hand auger on me for a backup so my day wasnt ended there thankfully (or not thankfully as i took a tip up flag to the eyeball later that afternoon, giving myself a nice corneal abrasion - super painful and not very fun to deal with, so i do NOT recommend getting one  :roflmao: ).

What model drill do you have?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #64 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:16 AM »
What model drill do you have?

Mine was a DCD771 ..with the exact situation/experience ..under torqued on 10 in of ice 1.5 ah batteries 6" lazer

There wasnt anything out of the ordinary with my drilling that morning either. I drilled a few holes, set my shanty up and drilled a couple more. Smelled burning so i let the drill rest and when i went back to drill more it was dead.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 17, 2020, 11:13 AM »
Bosco2 quote: Thank you. Sincerely. I'm going to throw all that info in the mix and maybe just hand drill this season and save up in the off season for the right tools for the right job.

If you are going to hand drill for a while go with a nils auger. You might decide you won't even want a drill on it unless you get 12 inches or more ice.

HT Mini Nero is a nice setup.

Drills almost effortlessly without drill.
Comes with a "T" handle type deal for using in your drill chuck.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #66 on: Jan 17, 2020, 12:44 PM »
Not sure off the top of my head, still have the drill at home so i can check it and get back to you on that. Picked up a DCD996B to replace it ($60 off at Lowes atm [$159--->$99]). Already spent the money on a 5A battery so i didnt want it to be a sunk cost switching brands.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #67 on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Not sure off the top of my head, still have the drill at home so i can check it and get back to you on that. Picked up a DCD996B to replace it ($60 off at Lowes atm [$159--->$99]). Already spent the money on a 5A battery so i didnt want it to be a sunk cost switching brands.

That's not a bad price ..that a local deal or on their website ? Link?

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #68 on: Jan 17, 2020, 03:23 PM »
That's not a bad price ..that a local deal or on their website ? Link?

Didnt find it on their website so must have been a local deal (Lowes in Saratoga off of rt 50). It was listed as full price in the regular dewalt display but they had a separate area stocked where it showed them marked down. I did however search their weekly flyer too and it was listed there. It searched a different store than the one i bought it from so it may be a company wide sale. said sale was valid through the 22cd 

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 18, 2020, 02:26 PM »

Yes, if it has brushes

Offline dgrenier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:13 AM »
I am running the Ridgid 1300 in/lb hammer drill (9ah octane battery) with a Nils Arctic Trekker 8in auger. I used to have an 8in Strikemaster Chipper Lite gas auger. My new setup is unbelievably faster and lighter. It isn't as light as the composite auger set ups as it is still metal, but probably 8-10 lbs lighter than the gas auger still. It is a convertible auger so the off set handle just screws on for if god forbid my batteries ever die. It also has removable sections to add length or take out weight depending on how much ice you are going through. I have drilled over 60 holes through 8-10 inches of black ice this year a couple times and my battery has never lost more than 2 bars (out of 4.) So far, I am extremely impressed but the season is young!

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/fishing-marine/ice-fishing/augers-chisels/nils-usa-arctic-trekker-convertible-8%C2%94-hand-auger-93706.html

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:21 PM »
I use Dewalt  20v lithium hammer drill. 
Has removeable collar handle. 
Dont use the hammer setting LOL. 
40 holes in 12 inches and still juice in the tank

SO much more mobility that using my old mora 6" hand drill

IF you need an simple adapter/connector  for your drill  go to the ebay

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #72 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:47 PM »
The dcd is a dewalt right?
I’ve been thinking of going to the drill I’ve had the ion for years now and I’m trying to lose weight picked up a dewalt heater and has a fan and USB ports built in so I want to stay with dewalt for my ice set up just everything I see says need 1000in lbs for shaver blade steel augurs can’t find specs for dewalt drills in inch lbs.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #73 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:13 PM »
The dcd is a dewalt right?
I’ve been thinking of going to the drill I’ve had the ion for years now and I’m trying to lose weight picked up a dewalt heater and has a fan and USB ports built in so I want to stay with dewalt for my ice set up just everything I see says need 1000in lbs for shaver blade steel augurs can’t find specs for dewalt drills in inch lbs.

Dewalt uses UWO...Units Watts Out .. the drills your looking for are the 991, 996 ..and I believe the 997 .

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #74 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:16 PM »
Thanks diehard.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.