New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Placid  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Jonesie925

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Placid
« on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:43 PM »
The kid has a hockey tournament at Lake Placid this week... looking to get out on Friday. Looking for suggestions on where to go. I will be walking. Pike , trout, perch... whatever.. set up for it all.
Thanks in advance  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Placid
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:09 PM »
As you may know, there is no ice fishing allowed on lake placid or mirror lake (the two lakes in Lake Placid).

One close option is Connery pond.  I think the scenery will be better than the fishing.  It's been years but I think its just small trout and perch.   There is a short hike to the pond but I remember it being easy.

Out toward saranac lake you will have lots of options within 30 minutes drive of lake placid.      Look into Colby lake, clear lake,  lincoln pond, etc.

I cant comment on current ice conditions.  I dont live there I just like to visit

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Can you tell me why no ice fish placid? Had heard it but never told why
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:55 PM »
so the well to do city dwellers can enjoy their vacations and 2nd homes without the local yokels in their sight. another form of gentrification.

Offline cnyiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:12 AM »
so the well to do city dwellers can enjoy their vacations and 2nd homes without the local yokels in their sight. another form of gentrification.

:thumbsup:

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2020, 04:50 PM »
In most of the state, with few exceptions, you can not target fish in specific during their closed season. Being that trout season doesnt open until April any body of water that holds trout is off limits to ice fishing unless it has a special regulation allowing you to fish all year. Even after April 1st when we still have plenty of ice we cant ice fish it. With that being said look out towards Paul Smiths college. A lot of the ponds and water out that way hold non trout species. STAY AWAY FROM LAKE FLOWER. it is a river and you will not come back..... Where are you staying in lake placid? i work front office at a hotel in placid.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Great info KP thanks!!

SeanP
😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:58 PM »
In most of the state, with few exceptions, you can not target fish in specific during their closed season. Being that trout season doesnt open until April any body of water that holds trout is off limits to ice fishing unless it has a special regulation allowing you to fish all year. Even after April 1st when we still have plenty of ice we cant ice fish it. With that being said look out towards Paul Smiths college. A lot of the ponds and water out that way hold non trout species. STAY AWAY FROM LAKE FLOWER. it is a river and you will not come back..... Where are you staying in lake placid? i work front office at a hotel in placid.

True but many lakes are also open to ice fish char . Placid holds all species,  so I won't agree it's a trout lake.
Remember,  before the great lakes entered into the nys record standings,  placid held the biggest lake trout ny record

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:09 AM »
I’ve been hearing that it’s because of the native brookies in the lake. Ain’t they the state fish or something
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:40 AM »
There are lakes out in the middle of nowhere that are also closed to ice fishing (e.g. taylor pond, moose).   I am not sure how they decide. 

On a positive note, in recent years they have opened a few lakes that used to be closed. Millsite lake and rushford lake for example.

Offline Jonesie925

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:11 AM »

Staying at Art Devlin’s Olympic Inn.... want to try and get out Friday and Saturday morning...probably only going to be for 3-4 hours

JJ

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:20 AM »
With limited time I would try Lake Colby, easy access in Saranac right across from the hospital. Haven't fished it in years but there are trout, perch and some big broodstock  salmon.

Offline Jonesie925

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Bait shops on the way to lake Colby?

Offline Jonesie925

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Actually thinking of going to Connery Pond because of time constraints... bait shops nearby?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:07 PM »
There are lakes out in the middle of nowhere that are also closed to ice fishing (e.g. taylor pond, moose).   I am not sure how they decide. 

On a positive note, in recent years they have opened a few lakes that used to be closed. Millsite lake and rushford lake for example.

Thats good.

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:15 PM »
all bait shops are in saranac lake might as well fish out that way if you have a time constraint. Otherwise your back tracking to go to connery plus you can count on at least 45 minutes for car travel plus another 45 lost walking to and from the water from road if you hit connery. Colby is a fish all day lake for a "CHANCE" its a lottery with that one. Not sure if you made it out. Weather looks like crap tomorrow. Going to give a nice lake a shot sunday if its not to sloppy.

crrockwell14

« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2020, 02:40 PM »

Some bodies of water that do not allow ice fishing correlate to the baitfish prohibitions. This is very true in the Adirondacks. Counties like Essex, Hamilton, Franklin, and St. Lawrence counties have baitfish prohibitions on some of the lakes and ponds, so those are not likely to permit ice fishing, either.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2020, 04:09 PM »
I'm quite sure I can go on those mentioned lakes with a bucket of minnows.
Used to slam the rainbows on minnows on placid

crrockwell14

« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2020, 08:23 AM »
I'm quite sure I can go on those mentioned lakes with a bucket of minnows.
Used to slam the rainbows on minnows on placid

If you ice fish on a water that has ice fishing prohibited, the fine will be large. And if you are ever caught using baitfish on waters that prohibit it, you will be fined massively. That is no better than being a bucket biologist, the bane of environmental conservation existence. Be EXTREMELY careful when it comes to these sorts of issues.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2020, 09:34 AM »
I was referring to open water.  Those lakes,  moose,  placid and Taylor all allow baitfish but not ice fishing

crrockwell14

« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2020, 10:26 AM »
I was referring to open water.  Those lakes,  moose,  placid and Taylor all allow baitfish but not ice fishing

Ah, I gotcha. Sometimes the prohibition of ice fishing is also to allow protection for trout. Trout waters, unless otherwise specified, or given special permissions, are not waters that can be ice fished. There are MANY bodies of water in the Adirondacks that are truly considered trout waters, and thus they are not permissible for ice fishing. Baitfish prohibitions and ice fishing prohibitions are not always linked, since baitfish prohibitions can be in place to prevent the spreading of species that are not native or would be detrimental to that body of water.

Ice fishing is only allowed on trout-holding waters because of special regulations in Environmental Conservation Law that explicitly allow it.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2020, 01:40 PM »
"Massive!"  Fun to say...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.