New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Salmon through the ice  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Tanimal85

• Team IceShanty Regular
Salmon through the ice
« on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:58 PM »
Where are the best places to ice some salmon? I've fished Schroon Lake for years and only caught one. Never landed any on Lake George. Anybody know of any other good lakes to try?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to ice fish and he'll sit on the ice and drink beer all weekend.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Salmon through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:06 PM »
Fourth lake (fulton chain) is always a good choice....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:09 PM »
Fourth lake (fulton chain) is always a good choice....
X2. They're a treat but fourth is a good bet. Caught a nice fat 21"er there last year.
Pete

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:32 PM »
How do you guys target salmon? Set tip ups 6 - 10 feet under the ice? I have used this method much of my life and have still not managed to get one on the ice.. I missed a fish at the hole on Fourth lake Saturday that I believe must have been a pretty nice salmon as it felt heavy and was screaming line out when I got to it.. Any tips that might increase my odds of getting one this year would be excellent!

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:03 PM »
Try raising your set up a little higher, especially later in the season when there is more debri and such under the ice. Make sure your tip up reels are as loose as they can be. They are likely to spit it the first bit of resistance. Also helps ten fold to use natural bait from that body of water.
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:45 PM »
Jig like a maniac, use smaller live bait on tip ups, fatheads, small or med shiners, circle hooks would be my choice, 8lb line or less...
Ive caught them 2 feet below the ice in 20 FOW and ive caught them 10 feet down in 20fow.. I think they kinda roam up and down the column, theyre a pretty high wired fish..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:32 PM »
What kind of jig?  I know what they will take in the summer, is it fair to assume the same spoons will work when jigged?

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Set like 3' under the ice. That would be sick to ice one on a jig!
Pete

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:06 PM »
What kind of jig?  I know what they will take in the summer, is it fair to assume the same spoons will work when jigged?
I've always had luck with pimples and rapalas.. I usually start on the bottom and flutter them up a couple feet every couple minutes..  Sometimes you will feel them bump it on the way up, your 1st reaction will be to slow down the jig... DONT, keep it moving like nothing happened, and or raise it up a few feet agressively, usually they will turn around and slam it within a few minutes.. If they don't, throw a different color on.. Its almost like you gotta tick them off so to speak..they go bonkers on the hook set so have your drag set to where your comfortable with it...They're really good a shaking a jig loose..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline spikejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:55 AM »
I use 4-6 lb leader with a tiny treble and no sinker if possible smelt or icicles are my bait of choice I usually have  the best luck setting them between 2-10' under the ice usually in deep water but some times get them in shallow. For a jig I use rubber  with an 1/8 oz head works good if you mark a fish reel past them and don't stop until you get to your hole they will usually slam it.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:10 AM »
Jig like a maniac, use smaller live bait on tip ups, fatheads, small or med shiners, circle hooks would be my choice, 8lb line or less...
Ive caught them 2 feet below the ice in 20 FOW and ive caught them 10 feet down in 20fow.. I think they kinda roam up and down the column, theyre a pretty high wired fish..

This and..............SMELT!!!  :)

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:14 PM »
I have found salmon to be very light shy...before sunrise set your tip ups right under the ice but as the sun goes up move your bait down. A lot of salmon  can be caught right in the weed beds with bait or jigging. With tip ups use small hooks and make sure they spin free. They love to smack and drop the bait.  Once that sun is up they are usually a lot lower than most people are fishing......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.