New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ICEFISHING, FRIENDS AND MORE!  (Read 245931 times)

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ICEFISHING, FRIENDS AND MORE!
« Reply #90 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I'll take a ride to Gander and check them out.  The Guardian might be the one for me.  I don't want a lot of insulation.
I love my Stryker Climate bibs racer...they have removeable, zip out/ zip in insulation which is a nice feature...check them out before you decide on a pair.Got them last year , so far so good, well made, loaded with features, and the inseam length is totally adjustable for a proper fit.

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:47 PM »
I'd like to look at the Striker suits.  Do any of our stores in Central New York big or small carry them?

I think Runnings has striker suits as well Bill.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #92 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:49 PM »
with  this  weather  all the  outdoor  places  will be  selling  stuff cheap  ... 

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:50 PM »
I currently have a Clam blue color suit.  I can't stand all the foam in the seat and knees.  It gets too warm.  I'm always in the shanty and always have the heater on.  I've only worn the coat once this year on the walk out and then hung it up in the shanty. 

Choo Choo. I'll check those out.  This is why I want to see them before buying. 

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Yes, it w fun.

It is a good idea to take some basic notes after every fishing trip....the seasons and fishing trips tend to fade away and blend together with time.

Some fishing trips and seasons do stand out for one reason or another.

Take notes, it's always fun to look back and see patterns and  stuff you completely forgot about.

I think a lot of guy's  take fishing trip notes...we all take a lot more pictures now a days, but the notes can be more important for future trips.
I wish I would have started taking notes when I was a teenager.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Racer, I have the Frabil jacket and bibs, I too wear the jacket for the trek out and hang it once I'm set up in my office. A very warm suit, I only wear under armor clothing. I will be buying some sort of ice flotation suit for KP Jr and myself next season. We will be wearing our auto inflating life vests for the rest of this season.😉
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:05 PM »
I currently have a Clam blue color suit.  I can't stand all the foam in the seat and knees.  It gets too warm.  I'm always in the shanty and always have the heater on.  I've only worn the coat once this year on the walk out and then hung it up in the shanty. 

Choo Choo. I'll check those out.  This is why I want to see them before buying.
I have the Clam blue bibs also and do like them, but they were getting worn out . I Wanted to upgrade to a floating pair of bibs, and decided on the Strykers.
Just wanted to add that the Stryker Climate bibs are very warm and maybe a wee bit bulky in the legs, even without the insulation zipped in, but that is because of the floatation sewed in. Best to do what you plan on doing, try them on for yourself.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:23 PM »
We will be wearing our auto inflating life vests for the rest of this season.😉
KP, someone posted that great link about Lake ice , how it candles and weakens in different stages etc. a few days ago on the Oneida site that is gone now .The last paragraph of that link they did tests, recommends strongly NOT to use inflateable life vests for ice fishing. It could restrict your breathing as it can inflate and wedge into the hole you just created while breaking through. and you would have to deflate the vest to free yourself in some cases. I think reeleyz spotted that paragraph too, and was as surprised as I was .

www.lakeice.squarespac e.com/candled-ice   I think this is the site.
the last paragraph, sorry ,I don't know if this is a direct link..i don't how to bring properly bring another link from one site to another

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:28 PM »
No kidding?? Was that the link FFP put up? Guess I didn't catch that part of it. I better find a plan B for now.

Hey Phil, was that in the link you posted?

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:32 PM »
I definitely would not kid about safety KP...I can't remember who put that Lake Ice post and link...it might have been fishforpike.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:36 PM »
It is the one FFP posted. I actually wore a regular life vest my first trip this year. I am used to wearing a vest over my ice suit in the boat when it's cold. It not really noticeable.

And my next suit will be a striker. I have an Artic Armor now and it's not bad but it does not breath well. So I end up taking the jacket off on long walks and that defeats the purpose!

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:44 PM »
I remember seeing that about the inflatable vest as well in that article
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:52 PM »
I definitely would not kid about safety KP...I can't remember who put that Lake Ice post and link...it might have been fishforpike.
the kidding part was not intended for You Steve. More so for me, that I missed that part. It's all good. I did go online and found that the co2 cartridges won't  inflate properly in extreme cold. May do what Reeleyz did with summer life vest for now. Float suits for next season!!

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:55 PM »
I remember seeing that about the inflatable vest as well in that article
'sup Kurtis :afro: :afro:

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:03 PM »
the kidding part was not intended for You Steve. More so for me, that I missed that part. It's all good. I did go online and found that the co2 cartridges won't  inflate properly in extreme cold. May do what Reeleyz did with summer life vest for now. Float suits for next season!!
Hey no problem KP...Your plan b sounds good.

.Like they say when they sign off every night on Weather Underground----  "together, we know more "   ;)

Just realized with your new info,........... that inflateable vests have 2 strikes against them for ice fishing1)- they could be bad in average cold weather as mentioned if they did inflate...., 2)  in extreme cold they might not inflate- double bad whammy.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:16 PM »
'sup Kurtis :afro: :afro:
Nother day in da hood  :afro:
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #106 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:36 PM »
No kidding?? Was that the link FFP put up? Guess I didn't catch that part of it. I better find a plan B for now.

Hey Phil, was that in the link you posted?

Yup.  That is the link I posted up; and the reason for not wearing an inflatable was as stated by choo choo from the article.  Surprised me as well.  Years ago, I got an education on late, rotting, ice, while Crappie fishing.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:49 PM »
I have the guardian bibs.  So far plenty warm.  Going to get the coat next.  Doesn't need to be to heavy.  I don't wear a coat enough to justify a real warm one.  I like the additional safety but it's not a priority to me.  If you use a lil common sense and a spud bar should never worry about swimming.

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #108 on: Jan 28, 2017, 03:43 AM »
it took me a while, but I found the thread !! thanks KP !!
I have the artic armour light suit, and I love it. not to heavy, and very warm.
the long range forcast looks good as long as the snow stays away.   Sully...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #109 on: Jan 28, 2017, 04:22 AM »

I have the climate jacket and the original run of lake effect pants, it's nice that they have floatation assist , but I bought them because it's the warmest thing I have ever had on my skinny butt , the jacket has vents and a removable liner ,  i only wear a T shirt and light sweat shirt under it and jeans under the pants , i think I'm on my 3rd year and no signs of any wear , so far I'm very pleased , but there are other very nice out fits available , plus a spud should be part of everyone's arsenal along with picks and some extra rope and creepers just an old farts .02

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #110 on: Jan 28, 2017, 04:40 AM »
I bought the striker predator bibs this year......very nice, very warm, but very heavy.......will be a god send if and when we ever get to use machines again and get some real cold weather......sorta wish I went with the guardians (a little lighter) but haven't tested them in tough conditions yet......jury is still out

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Jan 28, 2017, 04:54 AM »
I have the hardwater suit quality second to none and very comfortable and warm. I am short and fat so the option to shorten the legs is a big bonus! I had some issues with a pair of striker gloves and customer service was second to none they sent a new pair  no question asked!

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #112 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:21 AM »
I've got the Climate coat and bibs. Removable liners are awesome. Nice for the boat spring and fall too.
And as Filet stated, keeps my skinny arse plenty warm.
Jim K.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:42 AM »
 Boy all very helpful. I wear insulated coveralls now and refridgeaware jacket I bought in 1990. When the ice is thin I wear my life preserver. I think I need to upgrade.

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:48 AM »
Wow,  great response guys.  I'll take a ride to Gander and maybe Runnings today. So far based upon your feedback I'd lean toward the Guardian set.  I'll let you all know.

Online wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:27 AM »
Racer, you can't beat Gander's price on the predator bibs $112 + tax......$122 & some change out the door. That was the New Hartford store 2 days ago. No sale signs posted or special tags on the bibs, just a pleasant surprise at the register  :thumbsup: :clap:  Someone said they think today's the last day of the sale so don't delay  ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #116 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:36 AM »

Wally that's a great price ,

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:37 AM »
Wow,  great response guys.  I'll take a ride to Gander and maybe Runnings today. So far based upon your feedback I'd lean toward the Guardian set.  I'll let you all know.

There is a huge sale somewhere on line on the ifloat suit.  I guess guys are getting the hole set up at 180.00. Here is the link.

http://www.fieldsupply.com/frabill-i-float-jacket-uscg-certified-pfd.html

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:53 AM »
There are some very convincing videos on the striker suit. Picks would have been helpful in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnoSXoyRNnI

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #119 on: Jan 28, 2017, 09:31 AM »
Racer, you can't beat Gander's price on the predator bibs $112 + tax......$122 & some change out the door. That was the New Hartford store 2 days ago. No sale signs posted or special tags on the bibs, just a pleasant surprise at the register  :thumbsup: :clap:  Someone said they think today's the last day of the sale so don't delay  ;)
wow....great price.....I paid 159.00 a month ago at gander

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.