The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Square Lake (County)  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Square Lake (County)
« on: Mar 16, 2021, 02:24 PM »
Heading to camp next Thursday the 25th and staying until Monday the 29th.  Thought I would post now and hope folks would chime in with on-going conditions between now and then.  I know we are supposed to get a little warm up the end of this week, but am hoping things hold ok.  I think for the past 5 years or so, I have snowmobiled at least across the lake if not trail riding on April 1st.  This year has been a bit different so just hoping to get some info between now and then.  I have a few folks I can reach out to as I get closer to leaving, but curious what folks may know for the area.  Thanks for the help and I hope everyone finishes the season on a string note.   Thanks

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Square Lake (County)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2021, 02:31 PM »
Not as much ice this year as in the past few, but it should be ok for awhile.  The snow is starting to fade and I expect sled trails are sloppy when it's warm and icy when it's cold.

Others may have been out since I have and could provide better information. 

Offline MooseBrook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2021, 02:54 PM »
The trails around Presque Isle went down hill fast after last week. The lakes have been slushy all year and after the warm spell last week, followed by the cold snap this week pretty much frozen slush. Haven’t been on Square but I have been on some other area lakes.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2021, 02:59 PM »
mostly glare ice with a few patches here and there of crusty snow. trails are hard as hell. with the warm up this week and snow going fast, i bet by time you come up you could use a wheeler. unless we get some snow its going to get damned bony for a sled. no snow forecasted in the 10day either..

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2021, 09:07 AM »
Thanks guys.  I don't care to ride the trails I am just hoping to get back and forth across the lake to access camp and get a few days of fishing in.  Four wheeler could certainly be an option.  Never great riding the sled on the gravel of Burnt landing road for a couple miles.  hahahaha.   Thanks

Offline pikehater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2021, 08:14 AM »
I was on Cross, Square, Eagle, and Long this weekend.  Wasn't much snow left by Sunday and certainly won't be sled friendly by the weekend.  Gravel roads are hard and dusty, no snow left on them.  Wheeler would be ideal.  There was enough snow on shore to use sleds but with rain coming who knows?
“Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not fish they are after.”

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2021, 08:41 AM »
Thanks for the report

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2021, 01:43 PM »
just came off eagle. by noon the top 3in. of ice turned to slush. lake is is looking sketchy already.  the first foot i drilled thru today was very easy for the auger to go thru. mostly frozen slush. only about 12in. of good ice under that. dont know what will be left after thrus. the 60deg and warm winds is really undermining the ice we have left.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2021, 02:44 PM »
Thanks Steve.  I also don't mind going in taking the road, but it would be nice if we could at least get to Square Lake road and not have to travel in right form 161.  I am almost thinking you could drive in but that might be pushing it.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2021, 07:21 AM »
Thanks Steve.  I also don't mind going in taking the road, but it would be nice if we could at least get to Square Lake road and not have to travel in right form 161.  I am almost thinking you could drive in but that might be pushing it.

Not sure what side of the lake your camp is on but I would think that the west side is inaccessible to vehicle traffic at this time.  We went past the Sullivan Road Sunday and it was being used as a snowmobile trail.  Last I knew it wasn't plowed from the Beaver Brook end either.  Also the road in from Blackstone was being used as a snowmobile trail.  Of course, all of this could change with warm weather and cutting. 

I know you can drive to Burnt Landing.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2021, 08:11 AM »
Thanks JDK, Yea in a perfect world we would go in Burnt Landing and sled across the lake.  But we won't be going in until about 4p Thursday afternoon, so my guess is things will be pretty soupy at that point.  It's either going to be that or sledding in right from the Sullivan Rd.  I knew it hadn't been plowed , but didn't know if things had changed in the last month.  Does anyone think there are any real concerns about crossing the lake from Burnt Landing, camp is over near Limestone point so we are dragging gear across the heart of the lake.   Thanks

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2021, 09:48 AM »
on sled you should be ok but id do a solo run across just on sled to check. biggest problem would be old holes opening up. saw that starting yesterday. what time you plan on leaving? im 10 min from long and i could go check it for you. conditions should be similar.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2021, 09:56 AM »
on sled you should be ok but id do a solo run across just on sled to check. biggest problem would be old holes opening up. saw that starting yesterday. what time you plan on leaving? im 10 min from long and i could go check it for you. conditions should be similar.

Thanks Steve, I just sent you a message.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2021, 09:58 AM »
Had a good trip to camp.  Was able to park right at the boat landing and we snowmobiled across the lake Thursday afternoon.  There was probably 2-6 inches of slush on Thursday afternoon and Friday, but by Saturday morning the lake was hard and we were not hitting any slush, When we snowmobiled out, it was smooth with enough traction which made it for good traveling.  The fishing on the other hand was slow.  Caught a lot of perch and Cusk at night but the salmon and trout bite was slow with only managing a couple of them with no size.  I was amazed at how there was really no snow.  If it wasn't for the snowmobile trailer we probably could of drove right into camp.  That will be a wrap for the winter season.  Time to get the golf clubs out and get ready to put boats and docks in.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2021, 09:59 AM »
Oh yea, and I would say today there is still 14+ inches of black ice everywhere I drilled.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2021, 01:28 PM »
glad you guys had good conditions. headed to froid to jig for some big smelts and maybe get a trout or togue. last week eagle gave us 1 togue all day. we moved the flags all over. they just didnt want to bite. funny how the FRC slows in march but the allagash lakes bite heats up. wasnt for the muddy roads id head out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.