New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sunday pike (pics)  (Read 3511 times)

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sunday pike (pics)
« on: Dec 31, 2007, 02:07 PM »
Fished Sunday with my father and brother, pretty slow day, but landed some decent pike.  Here's the two biggest, 30" and 33".  All released.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sunday pike (pics)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2007, 02:38 PM »
decent pike. where did you get them?

steve

Offline dbsturd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2007, 02:47 PM »
nice fish they look real fat must be eatin good

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2007, 03:46 PM »
decent pike. where did you get them?

steve

Hudson River. 

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2007, 05:33 PM »
Must be all the PCBs that make them grow so good... ;)

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2007, 06:48 PM »
Hudson River. 

Where abouts on the Hudson?

Offline booboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:51 AM »
Nice fish!

I love that spot for big pike, pulled some monsters out of there.  Did you guys jig pannies also?  If so, how was their size?  And did it look like it was getting a lot of pressure?

:tipup:

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2008, 06:12 AM »
got to love dem toothies

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:02 AM »
Where abouts on the Hudson?

Up by Stillwater.

Nice fish!

I love that spot for big pike, pulled some monsters out of there.  Did you guys jig pannies also?  If so, how was their size?  And did it look like it was getting a lot of pressure?

:tipup:

We didn't jig much, we're mostly tip-up kind of guys.  Some guys next to us we're jigging all day, seemed to have good action but not much size. 

You know, i was wondering about the pressure thing myself.  There were about 20-25 guys fishing the area, so the area looked like a minefield of tipups, but not much action.  Considering it's all catch-and-release (as far as i know), i'm not sure how much all the fishing effects the area.  We fish the Hudson alot for pike, and have noticed it's slowed down the last couple of years.  The pike are usually pretty easy to release without alot of stress to the fish, but we did catch alot of bass, and they seem to enhale the hook every time.  We cut the line, but i still question how well a fish survives with a hook half way down it's throat.  I guess it's better than pulling out half its guts

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:16 AM »
The fish will survive just fine with the hook still in them. I caught a brown trout that had half rusted hook working out its sice from the inside out. Good choice and good catch. Way to go.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

fdhunter

« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Up by Stillwater.

We didn't jig much, we're mostly tip-up kind of guys.  Some guys next to us we're jigging all day, seemed to have good action but not much size. 

You know, i was wondering about the pressure thing myself.  There were about 20-25 guys fishing the area, so the area looked like a minefield of tipups, but not much action.  Considering it's all catch-and-release (as far as i know), i'm not sure how much all the fishing effects the area.  We fish the Hudson alot for pike, and have noticed it's slowed down the last couple of years.  The pike are usually pretty easy to release without alot of stress to the fish, but we did catch alot of bass, and they seem to enhale the hook every time.  We cut the line, but i still question how well a fish survives with a hook half way down it's throat.  I guess it's better than pulling out half its guts

Thor, I live in Stillwater. Doesn't look familiar. Looks more like Schuylerville.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Nice fish
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:54 AM »
I've never seen a place that gets pressure like the area Thor was fishing.  On an average weekend day there is 20-40 people fishing in an area rougly an acre in size - maybe smaller.  It sucks alot. 

Thor, I live in Stillwater. Doesn't look familiar. Looks more like Schuylerville.

Why would you be THAT guy that has to make a post like that?? Posts like that are why I stopped posting pictures.

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:01 AM »
You're right, it's very crowded on weekends.

fdhunter

« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:03 AM »
I've never seen a place that gets pressure like the area Thor was fishing.  On an average weekend day there is 20-40 people fishing in an area rougly an acre in size - maybe smaller.  It sucks alot. 

Why would you be THAT guy that has to make a post like that?? Posts like that are why I stopped posting pictures.
Looks like I'm right. Wow, sorry if I hurt your chances with the other 20 - 40 people that fish there. If it sucks so much why do you care ?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:04 AM »
Looks like I'm right. Wow, sorry if I hurt your chances with the other 20 - 40 people that fish there. If it sucks so much why do you care ?

I said the fact that there is 20-40 people out there on the only two days off a week that I have - that sucks.  Of course your right...you lied when you said it wasn't familiar - you knew where it was.

I hate sounding like a total jerk, but it is just so frustrating when I have no choice but to set up within feet of someone else's tipups because there is literally no where else to go there.

fdhunter

« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:23 AM »
I said the fact that there is 20-40 people out there on the only two days off a week that I have - that sucks.  Of course your right...you lied when you said it wasn't familiar - you knew where it was.

I hate sounding like a total jerk, but it is just so frustrating when I have no choice but to set up within feet of someone else's tipups because there is literally no where else to go there.
I didn't lie. It didn't look like anywhere in Stillwater and did remind me of Schuylerville.

You don't sound like a jerk for your frustration. I understand that. It sounds like you need to fish somwhere else where the people are fewer.

fdhunter

« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:24 AM »

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:55 AM »
sorry for my tone - and you are right, I do need to find a new spot with less people. :tipup:

fdhunter

« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2008, 01:35 PM »
sorry for my tone - and you are right, I do need to find a new spot with less people. :tipup:
Happy New Year pal.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2008, 02:56 PM »
You're welcome to hook up with us bigred, We've been through the same crap on this site. Thats why we whiteout our backgrounds in our pictures. Funny we pull a 23.5lb pike from a spot that only we fish, and then we put pics up and the next weekend there was about 20 people fishing there..ridiculous. When you ask people about there spots, would you tell them yours?
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:29 PM »
If I happen to meet or talk with other people while i'm out ice fishing I ask them if they are members of iceshanty.com. Six trips so far this season I have asked atleast 8 guys and all 8 times their answer was. Yes i'm a member but I don't really post. Same as last year.  Lurker=Lazy don't want to find their own fish!!

fdhunter

« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2008, 04:57 PM »
You're welcome to hook up with us bigred, We've been through the same crap on this site. Thats why we whiteout our backgrounds in our pictures. Funny we pull a 23.5lb pike from a spot that only we fish, and then we put pics up and the next weekend there was about 20 people fishing there..ridiculous. When you ask people about there spots, would you tell them yours?
What is the same crap? The guy posted a picture,said it was in Stillwater and it looked like a place that I've seen before. Is it as big secret if there are already that many guys fishing there? The place that you pulled that pike up...I'm sure no one has ever thought of fishing there before until you posted those pictures. Give me a break. I'd tell them my spots. Ask others on this sight that know me. I've taken them there.

Offline qbyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2008, 05:59 PM »
nice fish :D :clap:

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2008, 06:39 PM »
I got news for you 20-40 people is nothing try fishing braddoks bay (rochester) on a weekend there will be over 100 people out there at times and if the pearch are in double that.  there are so many tipups that when one goes up several groups go to it to see whose it is.  Yet we still go there because theres fish if theres that many people then tweak your technique to be the one that catches more and if its catch and release than those fish will still be there.  Other words go someplace with very few fish and youll have pleanty of room
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline booboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2008, 06:44 PM »
I'm not going to get into the arguments about giving away a location.  I'll just say that I know where that is, I fish it, and I like fishing there.  Yes, it is supposed to be all C&R though people will keep both big pike and the commercial guys hit it for panfish.  I asked about the jigging because I like to jig the pannies while waiting for flags.  Thanks for the post Thor.  In response to your question, my experience is that it is good early and late when the ice gets sketchy but is slow mid winter.  Lots of pressure, not sure if the pressure slows down the fishing or if it's just a natural feeding/bait pattern.  I've caught big bass there also, cutting the line and letting the hook rust out is way better than ripping the guts out.  Haven't been there yet this year, which is why I was wondering about the pressure.

Tight lines.... :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.