New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: favorite perch/wallye lures  (Read 2641 times)

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
favorite perch/wallye lures
« on: Nov 29, 2007, 05:35 PM »
Was wondering what everyones favorite perch and walleye lures were.Ive used small jigs tipped with grubs but was hopin to find some better lures.

Offline pshootr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: favorite perch/wallye lures
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2007, 05:54 PM »
i like marmooskas in chartreuse and orange size10 first ice and size 14 mid season for perch.for wallys i like reef runner blade baits quarter ounce silver and try gold.
GOD BLESS AMERICA.LETS GO FISHIN!!!!

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2007, 09:30 PM »
I use small jigging Rapalas (#2 or #3) for both perch and walleye.  I use natural colors such as golden shiner or perch as they are the primary forage baits in the lake I fish.  I have also had luck with a blue & silver which replicates the Niagara minnow pretty well.  I do not tip the lure with anything as I like the way the lure swims, but some people do well by tipping them with a variety of live baits.

Good luck

Norm
Norman J. Schrader

CSP88

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2007, 09:49 PM »
Buckshot Rattle Spoons, Kastmasters, Sweedish Pimples, Little Cleos & Chubby Darters are some of my favorites which all have caught both species for me.  If Perch become harder to catch I'll downsize and go with Wolframs or smaller Genz worms tipped with spikes or add a dropper to a spoon.

Chad

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2007, 10:52 PM »
For Walleyes, I am very lotal to Northland Fireeye minnows in Rainbow or Chartrouse.  But I usually only have success catching walleyes first ice when they seem aggressive enough to hit anything.  This year I am also going to try some Salmo Chubby Darters which are a big fat rapala that you hook in the back.  They are light but supposably they sink fast and work well.  Hope we get some early ice so I can try them out   ;D

As far as perch, I had real good luck last year on Northland Bro Bugs with a Wax worm T-Boned on it.  Red seemed to work best. 

I use mainly Northland ice fishing jigs and spoons.  I do not fish for competitive reasons but I have out done anyone around me in recent times on eyes, perch, and gills using their lures.
Rob Taylor

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2007, 11:48 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.Im hopin i start getting into the perch and eyes jiggin.Supposably once you figure out youll get more fish.Ive caught a lot of dinks jiggin but nothing to write home about.I usually just put a few wax worms on a regular jig doesnt seem to catch the fish everyone talks about.Christmas is coming you can bet the jigs you guys listed will be on there. ;)

Ron

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2007, 01:51 PM »
I like the Forage minnow for perch , I keepa few on hand in different colors, and the Hali jig also in various colors. And for eyes you can't beat the Chubby Darter, and the Buckshot Rattle Spoon, tipped with a half or a whole minnow. ;D

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2007, 06:24 AM »
perch i use jigging rapalas tipped with buckeye heads and walleye well i'll just call them traps

Eds Bait and Tackle

« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2007, 12:44 PM »
I know the past two years my best sellers for walleye have been the reef runner cicadas in 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz and the Northland Buck Shot Rattle Spoon.  For perch by far and away the caty jigs footballs and mouse.  I personally like the Hali jigs for walleye.

peace

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2007, 12:52 PM »
ed do you or can you get certified smelt dead, frozen, or some way preserved

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:20 AM »
The usual suspects for walter, jigging raps, nilsmasters, spoons various need the rattle for night.

I also like the bad dog pin minnow with a trailer.
Also blade baits. These have done well for me.

I also like to down size the walters baits so that you can get more strikes for other species.
We have caught some of the largest perch fishing for walters.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2007, 05:42 PM »
For perch, I'm very partial to the old style Jig-a-whoppers. I fish alot of different bodies of water and this seems to be a very versatile jig. I also believe it is more the jigging style than the jig itself. You have to figure out what they want. If you're catching a lot of dinks, MOVE. Perch normally school with perch of their own size.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2007, 05:52 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.We see that a lot on a few of the lakes we fish.Get a lot of dinks.Then after awhile we start getting into the bigger fish.Would like get better at jiggin instead of relying only on the tip ups.

Offline fatbellyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • We're killin'em in here!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:44 AM »
My best lure is my Aqua Vue. If you can see how they act towards your offerings you can adjust accordingly. Also as far as dinks and jumbos, I have seen jumbos in the same schools as dinks. While watching the camera you can pull your bait from the dinks and try to target the larger perch in the area.

Offline year-round-fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:12 PM »
Lures that I use will be based on the water I'm fishing, but for a general source for perch I stricktly use catty jigs of all sorts of colors and same goes for gils and crappies. For walleyes I believe that it depends on where you fish, Sandy pond for an example I could never get a bite with any heavy jigs at all. All of them in my tent are caught on catty jigs tiped with spikes every time I put a min. on the hook a damn northern will hit it. Now Onidia lake strickly heavey jigs such as sonars, sweedish pimps, and kast masters of silver, black and blue are my favorites.   

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure I haven't seen  the Hali mentioned yet!

Great jigs, tipped with spikes or small minnows, seemingly never fail.

I like perch color the most.

Offline bacoj1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Yep, I love the Hali for Perch and Walleye.  My favorite colors are silver, gold, and perch. 

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:57 PM »
for perch any stupid little jig works great for me tipped with maggots or perch eyes

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:26 PM »
Home-made copper spoon with a perch eye -- great for both perch and walleye.

PerchEyes (the "original")
The tug is the drug.

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:33 PM »
I hail to the HALI!! Sometimes I try using a mono with hook instead of the chain for Eyes though , try , tie ,try, and tie !!!  ;D
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:39 PM »
Hali and a chartuse/silver spoon are my go to lures.

Offline nisky35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:53 PM »
fire tiger Hali and rainbow trout kastmaster.

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:28 AM »
Last year, for the perch, I had really good luck with the Lindy Techni-glow minis tipped with either spikes or an oakie.   I really liked the little red ones with the fine, hair like rubber leg looking things that stick straight out.  The perch didn't seem to want to leave them alone.   Also like the Swedish Pimples.  Also, if your catching only dinks, move, but not far.  it seems to me that the bigger fish hang out together and they push the smaller fish to the outsides of the school.  I've found that a move of only a few feet can make a huge difference. 

I don't often target walleye but when I do I'll use some of the very same baits tipped with minnow parts.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Thanks for the info all.Xmas list keeps gettin longer ;D.

Offline nisky35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Glow Fire tiger Hali for both

Offline ahester14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 31, 2008, 02:39 PM »
1/4 oz. mister twister jig..white,black of a mix of both :tipup:

Offline walleygod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleygod
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2008, 03:22 PM »
Thanks for the info all.Xmas list keeps gettin longer ;D.
hey if88 why don;t you ask for a camera and fish in my shantie ::) ::) ;D
if 1 fish farts it gives them all away

Offline nygoosehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2008, 06:34 PM »
A demon jig either orange or purple, or my new favorite a white striped glo teardrop with an orange eye with some spikes, and who can forget my good ol' vex FL-8.

Hook'em and cook'em... :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.