New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: propane heaters ??? information  (Read 2859 times)

Offline hdqtrswp

• IceShanty Rookie
propane heaters ??? information
« on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:46 AM »
I just left my local home depot store (Brewster New York) They have the Dyna glow, tag a long, radiant heater on clearance sale for 53 bucks normal price was 79.00 , runs on 1 pound propane cylinders. On low its 4500 btus and high 8000, I pulled my usual with the manager,, damaged box and got another 10 percent off...

They had over a hundred still in stock last night.

Offline brewmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
  • farm boy
Re: propane heaters ??? information
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Mr buddy is on sale at lowes 39.99,thats what alot of guys use in the shantys because of the design and the low oxy shut off,its only good in a shanty outside the pilot gets blown out.wallmart has a good camping heater for 25 that doesnt have a pilot light and it stays lit in the wind

Offline hdqtrswp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:00 AM »
brew,
 this one has the same low O2 shut off, fits OK in my pop up shanty looks pretty study, but i am using it my shed/workshop also, its been on for an hour so far and my workshop is a comfortable 70 degrees its 12x20 8 foot high. Just curious whats the BTU on the smaller models, do you think i paid to much??

Offline bacwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:10 AM »
Lowes in Springville has the Mr. Heater, Tough Buddy which takes 2 one pound cylinders on sale. Normally it sell for$159, it is now $69. If you by the optional hose($10) and the fuel filter ($10) you can hook it up to a 20 pound tank and left on low it will burn for 8 days straight. They also had the tank top ones for $20, but not recommended for in door use.

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:38 AM »
does it blow you out of the tent? I have a rinky dink Walmart special and Im fishing in the portable with a t-shirt! LOL

Offline brewmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
  • farm boy
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:24 PM »
does it blow you out of the tent? I have a rinky dink Walmart special and Im fishing in the portable with a t-shirt! LOL
a mr buddy wont blow you out of the tent but keeps you comfortable,the big buddy uses two cyl.and thats really hot

Offline Fishnhard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2007, 04:07 PM »
Mr. buddy is the way to go, was out in sub zero temps friday and in my Frabil with the mr. I was very comfortable with just a sweatshirt and carhart bibs...almost made me forget what it was like till i had to go out and clean out my tip up holes

Offline rmichaels

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:12 PM »
My vote is for Mr Buddy due to low/no carbon monoxide, tip shutoff and low oxygen shutoff.

And for $40 it's a deal.  Great "just in case" for your camper or home as well.

Offline rmichaels

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:12 PM »
I'm sorry, make that "mr heater portable buddy"   ???

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:29 PM »
The "Mr. Buddy " is the way to go--works as designed--heats well and fast with good control even with gloves on,  definitely goes out when stumbled over with big feet and cools down quick for frequent moves.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:42 PM »
I use a 2 burner coleman stove but knowing this is probably why i have a headache at the end of a long day I was looking at the sportcat (i believe thats what it is called) at wal-mart for only $25 how does this work   I am in a shappel 3000  just looking for some feedback also . My stove wroks great and obviously having a stove can be nice too   but i think one of these really cold and windy days where it hurts to even unzip the door a bit I may end up taking a nice long nap.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:33 PM »
I would not use a stove or lantern inside a shanty with out serious ventilation.
The Mr. Heater Buddy is about 4000 BTU on low and 9000 on high and will shut off if the Carbon monoxide gets too high.
I had the sport cat and thought it was junk because it uses just as much fuel to produce half the heat.

There is another very similar one to the Mr. Heater buddy and it seems to work fine, might be a dynaglo but the real bargin IMO is the Buddy.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:18 PM »
I have a dyna glow and its really no different then the buddy. Its holding up just fine and this past weekend it took on hell of a toss out of my shanty as it rolled over behind me.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:00 PM »
I always knew it wasnt a great idea but man does it keep me warm I will look I know they had the mr heater (or similar) was on sale at home depot last week

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:41 PM »
YEP, The stove is best left for keeping your belly full. Keep your eyes on the sales because the Buddy's will be selling like hotcakes real soon. I got my second one last year at Lowes for around $45 and the original one is going for about 4 seasons now without skipping a beat.

Gary

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:22 PM »
Lots of places do great sales on them. Northern Tools, Tractor Supply, Sears, and many more.
You just have to keep looking but I will bet someone here who reads this will give you a heads up where they are on sale.
You do have to be ready to pounce because they don't last long when they do hit the sale season.

I just checked Ebay and there has to be 50 of them there but the key would be to find one local you could pick up. Don't be affraid to buy a good used one. Just make sure the ceramic isn't broken.

Gary

Offline GiddyUpNFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:53 AM »
I have been shopping for the Mr Heater as well, but I am not sure if I should get the Buddy or Big buddy.  The cheapest I have seen the Big Buddy is $120.  I like the fact that it houses two 1lb bottles.  Any oppinions???

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:48 AM »
In my two man Trap Guide Shanty the Buddy/single bottle unit on low is more them enough except in super cold and windy conditions. I would think the larger big buddy would drive you out of most shanties.
Lowes had plenty of the Big ones for $69 just last week but the buddy's were sold out.
I highly suggest you find the smaller one unless you have a very large shanty or like sitting in 80 degrees while on the ice.

Gary

Offline hdqtrswp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:16 AM »
Thanks for all the info,,

I was walking through the HD. I saw this Dyna glow heater and picked it up, thought it was a good deal !!! From what i can see the Dyna glow and Buddy are almost the same, low O2 shut off,tip over shut off, ceramic plate,easy access to the adjustable fuel 4000 to 8000 BTU,although the little buddy says it goes to 9000, etcetera...

If i find the buddy cheaper at Lowe's, I will return the Dyna glow to HD

HD The store you love to hate !!!!

hope to see everybody on the ice this weekend

Good Luck !!! Good Fishing !!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:36 AM »
I think you will be fine with the Dyna one. As I said, I rarely ever use the high setting except to warm inside quick. 8000 or 9000 BTUs inside a little shanty will either blow you out quick or activate the auto shut off detector.
With all of these it is very important to have some ventilation like screen flaps down to bring in fresh air.

Gary

kgbny

« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:36 PM »
i have a coleman pro cat its only 3000 btu s but the built in fan spreads the heat around quick fish in my trap in t shirt as long as i keep it off the ice other wise it sucks the cold from the ice and doesnt heat well

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:05 PM »
does anybody have any tips for unsticking the valves on the small coalman propane tanks? any help would be great
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:21 PM »
does anybody have any tips for unsticking the valves on the small coalman propane tanks? any help would be great
Yeah that sucks because they stick all the time. What I found that works is that i carry a small Phillips head screw driver in the truck at all times. and when I take a half full tank off my lantern it's always leaking. just give the valve a quick poke with the driver and wallah it quits leaking. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:24 PM »
If your referring to the preasure relief valve then I can't help. Lots of guys fill their own 1 pound tanks from a larger tank and this causes all kinds of problems in both the filling process and in the heaters themselves.
I use only store bought cylinders and have avoided all the problems.
If it's the valve on your Buddy heater then I have been told that the compressed air cans for computer cleaning does the trick.

Gary

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:04 PM »
should have taken the advice given   being cheap and broke as i am bought the sportcat   not very pleased granted both days trying to use it it was well below zero windchill but it barely cut the chill with the doors closed oh well   cheap and will probably be fine on more normal days

Offline acutabovelawncare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2007, 04:22 AM »
I just bought a mr heater that is a cooker/heater 8-15 thousand btu works great its usually around 60$ i picked it up at dicks for 39

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2007, 04:59 AM »
marcas,  I bought the sportcat also,  sucked,,,, 1500 btu's   I thought that would be enough for my fish trap pro.  not...... they wanted 69.99 for the blackcat,, anyway I seen the blackcat at K mart for 34.99 cheaper than what I bought the sportcat for.
so I took it back to Dick's,  went to Kmart,,,   they rang it up 49.99,,,,,,  still 20 bucks  cheaper than dick's,  I told het the sign said 34.99  and the manager girl
siad what it scans is what it is... are you kidding,,,  so I left,,  I am now heaterless
and I called Kmart customer service ,, and waitng for a call back  the price on the shelf said 34.99,,,  but they had both heaters mixed in.. no price on the product itself
they should have sold it to me for 34.99 and then fixed it.. customer service agreed
still waiting for a call,,,, I do not know where I am getting one by this weekend,,,
robbed again,,,  sportcat did not do anything except keep my hands warm  good luck
Rick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.