New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandy Pond & Chaumont area  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
Sandy Pond & Chaumont area
« on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:39 AM »
I have not seen much information posted on Sandy Pond ... I was there last week and ice was still insufficient. Any updates there...?

Chaumont Masters posted drone video of Chaumont yesterday...beginning to lock up but still not where we need it to be yet.

Looking for updates on both bodies of hard water.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sandy Pond & Chaumont area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:17 AM »
A few shanty’s on the Pond. 3/4” . Chamout is a ways out yet.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline forkliftfreddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2021, 02:27 PM »
not safe to go out of the elms, spud goes thru and the first hit

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:17 PM »
Thanks ForkliftFreddie...that's just the kind of "to the point" info we need.  I think there's a fair number of folks that will trek up there if conditions permit...and we're just not there yet.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2021, 05:37 PM »
I booked accommodations for this coming weekend for Chaumont on the hope it would be ready. For a while, it looked like like favorable weather for it. But now it looks like I’m either going to find a Plan B for fishing in the area or get a refund.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2021, 06:57 AM »
Bosco2...

I too have plans to come to Chaumont on the weekend of the 23rd...long term forecast looks iffy - at best.  Trying to remain optimistic.  Friends from the Sandy Pond area report ice fishing activity down towards the WigWam...but northern pond/Greene Pointe still unsafe.  Snowmobilers are in the same spot - no/limited snow.  What the heck!!!???

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:00 AM »
I booked accommodations for this coming weekend for Chaumont on the hope it would be ready. For a while, it looked like like favorable weather for it. But now it looks like I’m either going to find a Plan B for fishing in the area or get a refund.
Staying near chaumont, you can fish up on the st lawrence, or head towards the inland theresa lakes, both are a short drive. Its not the same as the big bay, but its better than not fishing.

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2021, 09:28 AM »
Thanks man. I fished Hyde once on a lark and did pretty well on the Perch (grubs in the fillets though)

Offline Jaker112

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2021, 09:30 AM »
Green pt is safe with 5” of ice

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2021, 10:50 AM »
One thin area I saw yesterday was off the Elms going toward the island a good ways southeast from the island. That ice was 2” or less. It is an obvious change in ice with no snow but if we get snow I would keep that in mind because you won’t see it.

There was another small area right off Blind creek that you can probably walk across but it looked like it had recently froze and it was closer to 3”.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2021, 07:08 AM »
Reeleyz...

My spies report that the ice near/over the rock pile in front of Wigwam was where there was (some?) action was over the weekend...ice there was 4"(ish).  Warmer trend(s) these next few days makes me wary of this coming weekend.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:50 AM »
good week end to fish steelhead

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:18 AM »

I need to come visit and have you show me some pointers on how to get one on the fly rod.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:47 AM »
Good Morning guys and dolls...Captain Obvious, checking in...

I see reports of Sandy Pond still not quite ready for prime time...and guessing Chaumont is same.  Those are my 2 hard water targets.

Weather trending well (now)...but any updates on those 2 bodies would be appreciated.

Assuming a hard pass on this weekend...but next weekend looks promising.

Anyone...?

Offline Timmydann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:11 AM »
if you're into steelhead or trout fishing i have some flies rhat i tie for you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.