New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: what do you think  (Read 2281 times)

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
what do you think
« on: Dec 08, 2015, 12:10 PM »
Any comments on the Shappell Bayrunner and the Eskimo EVO series . Does anyone out there have one of these? Would like to hear pro's & con's.  Thanks.

packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what do you think
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2015, 12:36 PM »
I have a bayrunner and quite like it. despite it's width, I found it pretty easy to pull in the snow, and ridiculously easy to pull on glare ice. I haven't had it out in really wet snow though, so I can't comment on how tough that would be. I have taken it out for 1-2 mile out and backs on several occasions without any real issue.

I am planning on taking out the bench and using a folding lawn chair this year, as I find no backrest too hard for long hours and it will be lighter than adding a backrest to the bench. I love the electronics shelf and being able to have my whole body up off the ice. You can pull the shack around fully setup, so it is great for hole hopping, all you have to do is lock down the hole covers.

My one problem with the shack was that the car I had last season couldn't fit it so I had to have it up on the roof for getting to the lake (1 hour drive). Even with the optional cover, wind would still find it's way into the sled and billow the fabric around. Had this happen to me on a couple days in the -20F range and have had all the windows crack and have a bunch of lines in the black interior lining because of the fabric billowing around. Because of this I would not recommend the sled for people who plan to tow it long distances at high speeds unless it is completely enclosed and safe from the wind. I have a new vehicle now where it fits in the back, so am looking forward to getting it out there again this season. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask or PM me.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2015, 04:22 PM »
I sat in one of the Evo shantys a a while back. It's interesting, but looks complicated. Lots of parts. Good room inside, but I don't like the idea of having to screw it down to the ice in windy weather. The bay runner looked ok, but I didn't like the bench seat (no back rest ) or the weight. Near 70 lbs bare.

I don't know the answer so for now I'll stick with my little sled.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2015, 05:23 PM »
IMO the windows are too low on the evos. Sitting in the chair you have to crouch to look out. I didnt like that or the pole design.

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:09 PM »
i use a good stadium seat on the bench of my bay runner! stadium seat that has the arm rests!
they have the little metal clips that go under the bench that keeps them in place so you can lean back!

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2015, 07:09 AM »
Loso, Wondering what you didn't like about the pole design

They just like to run.

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2015, 03:57 PM »
It looked like extra work setting it up. Odd angles on the poles. Seemed like it made it a kite.

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Got to sit in an EVO. haven't found any bayrunners. Still haven't decided. Thanks for the input guys.

They just like to run.

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Got to sit in an EVO. haven't found any bayrunners. Still haven't decided. Thanks for the input guys.

What were your thoughts on it?

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:35 PM »

If yo feel like taking a trip up to Toronto you can check out mine :)

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2015, 01:50 AM »
i have sat in both evo's and i like how much room they have, but setup wont be fun in wind, also lack of insulated fabric. 

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:14 AM »
My thoughts so far on the EVO:

Pros: the extra room, windows for adjusting light/air, side doors for entrance & exit, tub size

Cons: I think you have to knock it down to move. not insulated, could be a problem in the wind, weight ( i will probably overload it and it will be a bear to drag. I'm a walker)

Still undecided. The search continues. More comments welcome. ;D

They just like to run.

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2015, 09:08 PM »
This is the bay runner with the stadium seat!

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2015, 09:13 PM »
Rod holders and led lights powered by vex battery with on off switch!

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2015, 09:25 PM »
I use to have a frabill magnum! I currently have a frabill ranger solo...frabill recon....clam Denali 2 man and a bay runner!
The bay runner is my favorite for fishing alone!

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2015, 12:12 PM »
Wow nice set-up kidretro. I'd like to find a bayrunner to sit in. Do you have any problem with pulling the sled by hand and having the hole covers fill with snow/slush?  Does it pull easy when loaded? Does the floor get messy with snow melt off your boots?

They just like to run.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Just make sure us two fat guys will fit on that bench seat buddy ;D

I might need to get in out of the cold.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Wow nice set-up kidretro. I'd like to find a bayrunner to sit in. Do you have any problem with pulling the sled by hand and having the hole covers fill with snow/slush?  Does it pull easy when loaded? Does the floor get messy with snow melt off your boots?
hole covers have never filled with snow or slush, the lips/lids do a great job of keeping it out when they are closed, and the locking mechanism is good so they don't flup open while on the move.

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2015, 05:40 PM »
the bay runner is a light sled....easy to pull! i also save the ice shavings to put around the sled to stop the wind from going under the sled and freezing your holes!

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2015, 05:42 PM »
to keep snow from my boots out of the inside....i just kick my boots on the side of the tub before getting in!

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2015, 02:27 PM »
Thanks for your help Kidretro. I see you are near Oswego. I sometimes fish Fair Haven. We should get together.
How long have you had your Bayrunner and where did you purchase it. From all I've seen & read, I think I'm leaning toward the Bayrunner.  ;D

RG, I guess we will just be cozy. ;)

They just like to run.

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2015, 11:51 PM »
I bought my bay runner from chemount hardware last year! I use to fish sodus and fair haven alot... but now i mainly fish onieda!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2015, 03:13 AM »
Give Cabelas in Buffalo a call Bill. That's where I saw the bay runner. Let me know if you're gonna take a field trip. ;D

Rg

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Bob,
Field trip may be necessary.  Talk to you when I get back from Wisconsin. Who knows, I may find one there. ;) ;D

They just like to run.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Sounds good. My best to the family.

Rg

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2015, 06:21 AM »
Whats that a grilled cheese mod on the buddy? ::)

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2015, 09:19 PM »
ya i heat up alot of food with my buddy heater....and also cook sausage and hot dogs!
its just a paint roller for a 5 gallon bucket....its getting pretty beat up...need to replace it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.