New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cayuga lake perch  (Read 2639 times)

Offline THEiceman49

• IceShanty Rookie
Cayuga lake perch
« on: Apr 05, 2015, 03:43 PM »
Now that the fat lady has sung, how do you Cayuga guys feel about the perch size this past season
Personally I feel that it's the most consistent perch lake around for me, but usually have to weed through them for the keepers especially when it clouds up
I found this year I could get about 10 to 15 over 9 1/2 inches then another 10 to 15 stout 8 + inchers
In 3 to 4 hrs fishing
Anyway it's got me excited for next season and the quality of fish well most likely see

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
Re: Cayuga lake perch
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2015, 01:05 AM »
Although I call Cayuga my "home" lake and it is my favorite to fish - there are other lakes nearby that have much better quality perch.
This year, like always, the fish got bigger as the season got later - and the farther south you go....the bigger they are; just don't tell anyone else....
However, Cayuga is the most constant. You can almost always get numbers on Cayuga and you can find quality fish, but you've gotta weed through a bunch of dinks - I don't mind though. Catching if fun....
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2015, 09:54 AM »
Cayuga was the most consistent of any place I fished this season. Owasco is my home lake but I had to struggle to find them earlier in the season but eventually did. Cayuga produced good numbers all season, sure you have to sort thru them but I would rather do that then to catch just a few. The pickeral and bullheads were also fun on Cayuga. Never remember catching so many bullheads thru the ice. So much for the idea of waiting for the blossoms to pop before you go after the bullheads. I have never believed that anyways. Good years to continue on Cayuga.
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Not many places you can look down the hole and sight fish the big ones, what a riot that is.
Grew up on Cayuga, still my favorite!

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2015, 08:33 PM »
What are you guys talkin about??? Nothing but dinks in that lake - and not many of
them either. If I were you, I wouldn't waste a second of my life trying to find a "keeper"
in that dead sea.

You would be best served fishing any other Finger. I however, will take one for the
team and stay on Cayuga to monitor perch size.  If they start getting bigger,  I will
post right away!   No really, I promise!  ;)

"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2015, 11:23 PM »
What are you guys talkin about??? Nothing but dinks in that lake - and not many of
them either. If I were you, I wouldn't waste a second of my life trying to find a "keeper"
in that dead sea.

You would be best served fishing any other Finger. I however, will take one for the
team and stay on Cayuga to monitor perch size.  If they start getting bigger,  I will
post right away!   No really, I promise!  ;)
Ha ;D What a nice guy....
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline THEiceman49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Thanks for letting us in on that sodus  :o

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2015, 08:29 AM »
Is the ice gone yet?
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2015, 03:04 PM »
I "heard" there isn't a plank or ladder long enough to get you on it.

At this point, it is just slowing down the boat fishing.

Maybe that's good. If the water warms a little it will give all the big Mamas time to drop their cargo  before we swarm on them again.

Offline THEiceman49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2015, 03:21 PM »
I think we're going to do a pre walleye opener run for some perches first time for us, they stay in the usual spots out of the boat?

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2015, 11:58 AM »
Generally speaking... I would say they end up going as shallow as they need to to find the water temp neccesary to spawn.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.