New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Dogs on the ice ?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
Re: Dogs on the ice ?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Awesome looking hound...great pics :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:59 PM »
My Australian cattle dog goes with me every time,and he's has never ever gotten cold.and to all you guys who think dogs are a nuisance,if they are well trained they are not.everyone I know loves my dog

Offline Professor Finessor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2014, 11:26 PM »
leash ! ;)
If I wanted to remember something stupid like that,.......... I'd have to forget something intelligent...!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2014, 04:37 AM »

Sorry but I agree with Hamble...  A few years ago a friend and myself were fishing a pond on state land and had the place to ourselves. A truck pulls into the parking lot and opens the tailgate and out jumps 2 golden retrievers....   One makes a bee line to me running through the slush and proceeds to jump on my lap all soaking wet.  The other runs to my buddy and knocks over a bucket of minnows....  Now I'm all wet and our bait is in the slush..   The owners  never came over to apologize....  >:(
Keep them on a leash..

dog  comes running at me like that he'll never make it to jump on me .... i agree  keep your dog home .....i like the beagle  and i like him on his lesh!  i don't like the  dog in my stuff , running at me  or  barking at me .....hamble  i agree with you 100%

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Feb 03, 2014, 04:48 AM »
my blue pit loves the ice hates water i love taking him cause he is the scariest looking pit i have ever seen but the friendliest dog ive ever had i love seeing the look on peoples faces when they see him(fear) then when they find out how playful and well behaved he is then the fear becomes joy when people realize that pits arent the terrorist they are made out to be he reminds of lenny from of mice and men lol
   you  enjoy  the look of  fear on soeones  face  because of  your  dog? you are  a  worped sob  and a  poor  excuse  for a  human being  ...my  daughter  was  bit and  scared for life   because  someone  though  his  pit  was a scary  but  friendly  dog ......  your  a poor  example  of  a  man ......

Offline D_wood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:23 AM »

My husky going crazy on the ice :)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline D_wood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:34 AM »
I guess I have just been lucky......I have never had a bad experience with a dog on the ice.  when the flags werent flyin, I would be the one 1/2 a mile away playin fetch with one of my buddies dogs ;D  I do agree that everyone should be left alone if that is what they want..........to me the bigger problem is the sleds and wheelers etc to close to traps and equipment.  to each is own  tight lines everyone!

I agree my dog is only off her leash for short amounts of time. Other than that she is tied to a anchor 3 foot from my shanty  the ice so she can enter and leave my shanty as she wants and has some run room. I agree with the sleds /quads I had a guy drive through the middle of my set luckily he didn't hit one but the last tip up was clearly marked with showing the end of my set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVPR_eSEXDg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1wPs4nPcM
my dog wouldn't  bite!
Why is it always pit bulls that get targeted? I have a king pit but since I have been in the army my father has had him. When I was bringing him up from a 8 wk old pup I punished him every time he growled at someone or showed aggression, and to this day have had NO problems with him and other people. So that being said its 99.9 % on the owner how there dog acts.

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:46 AM »
Because golden retrievers don't clamp down and try to kill that's aggression. Most dogs bite in defence of themselves or there pack.Pit bulls are breed to clamp down on the bulls nose and hang on.Not to say they cant be trained to fight there instincts but they are what they are I always wonder what does the owner lack that wants to own an aggressive dog. you could just own a dog that is breed to be a pet.

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:13 AM »
As a dog control officer,dogs are like teenage kids they act one way around there parents and another when no one is looking. I have had as many aggressive labs and small dogs as I have had pits and yes they usually reflect the owners. Many trouble dogs are simple let to run loose with no discipline. It's amazing how the dogs start behaving after the owner start paying fines . It's simple if you follow the state lease law . No one can complain about you dog running loose.

Offline braz315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Because golden retrievers don't clamp down and try to kill that's aggression. Most dogs bite in defence of themselves or there pack.Pit bulls are breed to clamp down on the bulls nose and hang on.Not to say they cant be trained to fight there instincts but they are what they are I always wonder what does the owner lack that wants to own an aggressive dog. you could just own a dog that is breed to be a pet.

You sound pretty ignorant in that generalization you should read up about how intelligent pits are and how good of a family dog they are, don't judge negatively because they have extraordinary jaw strength.  They are what they are trained to be like any other dog!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:24 AM »

Why is it always pit bulls that get targeted? I have a king pit but since I have been in the army my father has had him. When I was bringing him up from a 8 wk old pup I punished him every time he growled at someone or showed aggression, and to this day have had NO problems with him and other people. So that being said its 99.9 % on the owner how there dog acts.
[/quote]

Its really pretty simple. Pits are becoming a popular dog number 1  number 2 many of these dogs have issues because the owners do not know how to handle them. The actions of the dog is in the breed itself. These dogs are for protection and are naturally aggressive and need handlers owners who understand the dog need to be worked with daily so it understands that with a bad reaction comes consequences. I work with dog rescue I know what these dogs can do and many can be great dogs but also many are dogs rescued off the streets with survival imprinted in its brain so while it might be friendly for now it also can turn defensive in a instant. Look at lost and found Pet sections many of those dogs found are Pit mix and because they can be hard to own or train and many are only meant to be in a single dog home when mixed with or thinking they can be trained to live peacefully with another dog that is almost always not the case. Thus these dogs either end up euthanized or dropped off somewhere and left to fend for itself.   

Just remember while on the ice if you do take a dog you better have it leashed and if you take your Pit or any dog you should also post a sign stating you have a dog with you Put that sign on your hut to let others know you do have a dog with you. Have some respect for those others trying to enjoy their day fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.